TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

OK, we're down to a few weeks before our first-ever cruise (2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 7), and we're starting to think about packing. So my question - what are the things that first-time cruisers would never think to bring, and that I'll be kicking myself about all week? Not the obvious - wine opener, passport, etc. - looking for stuff I'd NEVER think of.

Thanks in advance - and I will compile a Top 10 list and post it (based on my own assessment, of course...) if I get enough responses (and then we can argue about my rankings).

Small travel-size steam iron. I didn't think to bring one on my first cruise. I thought there would be one in the cabin (like a hotel room). No iron, had to send things to be pressed, very pricey. Now, I always pack it. Our friends went with us after Thanksgiving and borrowed it. They didn't think to pack one either.

Have fun!

Post It Notes (or notepad of paper) and pens. Useful for leaving notes to each other, or a request for your steward. The pen will come in handy when you fill out the health questionaire for your family as you wait at embarkation. Some also bring a highlighter for the Freestyle Daily.

Have a great first cruise!

coka

Bubbles!!! So your kids (and yourselves) can enjoy blowing them off your balcony or off one of the decks at the sail-aways. My cruising friend and I are retired elementary teachers and we enjoy blowing bubbles, since we can't throw confetti off the ship any more.

Small travel-size steam iron. I didn't think to bring one on my first cruise. I thought there would be one in the cabin (like a hotel room). No iron, had to send things to be pressed, very pricey. Now, I always pack it. Our friends went with us after Thanksgiving and borrowed it. They didn't think to pack one either.

Have fun!

I don't know from personal experience but some on here have reported that they could borrow an iron from the front desk. Ask your steward. As I said though, I'm only repeating what others have said.

Have a great cruise!

If your hair is not short but not long enough to tie back, you might consider Detangle spray for your hair, sea days can be windy!

Over-door shoe holder - hang on bathroom door for all your odds 'n' bobs, which will always be at your fingertips, and keeps the room tidy

Water shoes or rubber flip-flops to wear around the pool and to go up to the water slide (if the ship has one) - the deck can be HOT!!

Leave the body lotion at home - your skin will be wonderful after a few days of sunscreen, aloe gel and salt water.

Someone already mentioned otc meds, but more specifically Aloe gel. If you get sunburned, it is $12 on the ship for a little thing of it. Ibuprofen is $12 for 24 pills, so bring your own! We always bring a usb converter to plug in to charge those ipods, cell phones, cameras, anything else that charges via usb!

Soda or bottled water if you consume alot or prefer a particular brand (I believe NCL now serves Pepsi products). We usually check ours with the luggage (being certain to attach luggage tags) and it's delivered right to our cabin.

I read about the over the door shoe holder before my last cruise. It is great. You put all of those small things in the pockets that always seem to get lost. It is amazing how much you can get in there. Hang it on the bathroom door and everything is at your fingertips.

• I bring a little basket to keep my bathroom stuff in; there's not much counter space, but there's usually a small shelf under the sink.
  • If you like to take pictures, get some extra memory cards. Memory is cheap now, a whole lot less than another cruise!:D The pictures are a great remembrance of your trip & when you get home, you'll wish you had taken more. (If you're taking a laptop or other photo storage device, never mind!)
  • Downy Wrinkle Release works pretty well, if you're not too picky.
  • Some people with kids like to take walkie-talkies.
  • I have dry erase marker sheets (kind of like contact paper) that I put on our doors & velcro a marker to it. This is esp. helpful if you have 2 cabins, but is a good way to pass on information when you've split up.

My travel steam iron turns itself off automatically after no movement. If its down in the ironing position and isn't moved, it turns off after 20 or 30 seconds. If its upright, it turns off after 2 minutes. I wouldn't bring it otherwise.