RCL Cancel Newport on 4/19/2012?

J&KCruiser

Newport is a tender port which requires about a 12 minute ride to the tender dock. The cruise ship anchors in the East Passage of Narragansett Bay. Where the cruise ship drops the anchor, the Bay is about 1.5 miles in width and extends to Providence.

I'm not sure what "speed thru port" could be applied to. The cruise ship would be slowing to a stop to drop its anchor; The harbor area where the tenders pass through on the way to the tender dock has a posted speed limit.

Just curious, where did the "rumor" start?

SBtS

Newport is a tender port which requires about a 12 minute ride to the tender dock. The cruise ship anchors in the East Passage of Narragansett Bay. Where the cruise ship drops the anchor, the Bay is about 1.5 miles in width and extends to Providence.

I'm not sure what "speed thru port" could be applied to. The cruise ship would be slowing to a stop to drop its anchor; The harbor area where the tenders pass through on the way to the tender dock has a posted speed limit.

Just curious, where did the "rumor" start?

SBtS

Here on CC for the Enchantment 4/19 forum.

This is what they wrote.

==========

We called RCI and they were just informed by NOAA that they do not want the ship in Newport's harbor. Something about the low speed of the ship is not slow enough in the harbor. You would think they would have checked this out before offering this itinerary.

==========

There are other cruise lines that use the port so not suer what the real reason is or cruise line procedure is for those lines.

Just seems fishy.

John

John

Originally Posted by ChefPeg viewpost.gif

I think a lot of people will be canceling this cruise. The itinerary now stinks.

We called RCI and they were just informed by NOAA that they do not want the ship in Newport's harbor. Something about the low speed of the ship is not slow enough in the harbor. You would think they would have checked this out before offering this itinerary.

Been looking at other cruises and can't find one interesting that sails from Baltimore or NJ this time of year.

Back to the drawing board, lol.

Cruise ships do not enter Newport Harbor. A cruise ship drops anchor in the East Passage of Narragansett Bay off the south west end of Goat Island.

Take a look at a Google map of Newport RI. Goat Island is a small narrow island that runs north - south just off the west shore of Newport Center.

Also, I'm not sure why NOAA ( National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) would be involved. I would think that this would fall under the control of the Newport Harbor Master or the Coast Guard.

SBtS

I only reported what I was told by the rep at RCI. I wouldn't call it a 'rumor'. I have no idea why NOAA would have anything to do with the Enchantment sailing to Newport, this is what I as told.

I'll find out when I get on board in April. Hopefully I'll find out more on board.

• 3 weeks later...

uh....something seems a miss here, since what was the largest ship on earth...Cunard QM 2 calls on Newport at least 2x a year in the fall, all other lines including Princess with Carribean Princess and Crown Princess and even Naval ships navagate narragansett bay...seems like a rumor to me.. NOAA has no jurisdiction over the bay, the USCG and Harbor master have the "say" who or what navagates the harbor and waters surronding it...seems that RCCL is only telling you half the truth, this cruise is scheduled thru out the summer .....:confused::confused:

SBS you should plan a trip here in June....America's Cup final world series will be , course is off fort adams...also having a tall ships event as well july..

great holiday's to you and your's...:D

Archived