St Petersburg - Private Tour Company

Hi everyone!

Anyone know of a good private tour company in St Petersburg, Russia?! Will be there for two days in July while on Legend of the Seas. Is there anything else I should know about touring in Russia?!

Thanks I'm advance :-)

TJ travels was helpful, we took their relaxed tour and saw most of the sights, ate Russian food .We were able to add anything we wanted to see to the tour. I would highly recommend them.

We're travelling next July, and I emailed SPB, Alla, and TJ a few days ago. I heard back from all of them very quickly and am in the process of deciding who to go with.

I want to clear up a point of confusion from earlier in this thread. NONE of them asked for a Cruise Critic screen name. ALL of them want their guests to write and post reviews.

Only makes sense!

Deedee

We're travelling next July, and I emailed SPB, Alla, and TJ a few days ago. I heard back from all of them very quickly and am in the process of deciding who to go with.

I want to clear up a point of confusion from earlier in this thread. NONE of them asked for a Cruise Critic screen name. ALL of them want their guests to write and post reviews.

Only makes sense!

Deedee

Glad you received prompt responses. Now, the tough part, deciding which one!

Yes, after our tour with SPB, we got a follow-up email specifically requesting us to post a review on TripAdvisor.

• 4 weeks later...

We used Alla tours in August. They were great while we were there. But, unfortunately they over charged our credit card by over $300. Alla responded to our email immediately. However, we did not get credit on our account for 5 weeks.

I would highly recommend using them, but consider paying cash.

Yet another surprise about our recent battle of getting monies returned from Alla Tours. When our credit card was credited, we assumed it was it was initiated by Alla Tours. After we waited a month for credit, we contacted our credit card. We desputed the charge. It was the credit company that credited us. Alla tours had a reversal of the transaction by our credit company.

Once again, seriously consider paying cash if you are going to use Alla Tours!

Hi,

When travelling with my wife and 2 friends, we enjoyed a 2 day St Petersburg tour with Alla Tours in September 2013. Every aspect of the tour was great, we had a charming guide with a lovely sense of humour and good English language skills. The lunches included were above our expectations, and the vehicles excellent. The pre-tour communication and booking process was faultless.

I would have no hesitation recommending Alla Tours to others,

Roger

Only makes sense!

Deedee

There was no confusion about this. Not all that long ago, SPB in fact wanted your Cruise Critic screen name if you wanted to take advantage of their special early pricing for CC members. After the pushback they got on this, they dropped the request for screen names.

Yet another surprise about our recent battle of getting monies returned from Alla Tours. When our credit card was credited, we assumed it was it was initiated by Alla Tours. After we waited a month for credit, we contacted our credit card. We desputed the charge. It was the credit company that credited us. Alla tours had a reversal of the transaction by our credit company.

Once again, seriously consider paying cash if you are going to use Alla Tours!

Sorry and surprised to hear about this... usually you don't see very many issues with any of the major St Petersburg tour operators. Glad you got it resolved through your credit card company.

Mike, or anyone else who used Alla:

Did y'all pay in cash or use a credit card? I'd like to know how other people handled this since Sue had payment problems.

Thanks,

Deedee

We used a credit card and had no problems with the charges. In fact, we used Alla for a Rostock tour and, when we went to pay our guide, he suggested that we just pay for the tour when we reached St. Petersburg - so we put the Rostock tour on the card as well.

I would highly recommend Alla Tours. She was always quick with response. I also did a lot of research before we booked and felt confident I was making the right decision. Our guide, Nadia, was a gem. And, I have not seen anyone complain there was a problem with using a credit card. Alla keeps assuring us that her company has done everything to credit our account. It is "the Russian bank" that is holding up the process. But the fact remains, if it wasn't for our credit card company, 2 months after our trip, we would still be overcharged $300. Buyer beware.

Mike, or anyone else who used Alla:

Did y'all pay in cash or use a credit card? I'd like to know how other people handled this since Sue had payment problems.

Thanks,

Deedee

We had no issues with Alla using our credit card, nor did any of the people we traveled with. It was just a great tour with and awesome guide. I highly recommend Alla. It is a quality operation.

We had no issues with Alla using our credit card, nor did any of the people we traveled with. It was just a great tour with and awesome guide. I highly recommend Alla. It is a quality operation.

Mike, I'm wondering if you also considered TJ Travel, and what factors led you to choose Alla?

Thanks,

Deedee

Mike, I'm wondering if you also considered TJ Travel, and what factors led you to choose Alla?

Thanks,

Deedee

I looked at all of the popular ones while doing my research. I did want one that provided tours in all five cities; which I don't believe TJ did. All of them had good reviews and reputations on CC. Since Alla has been doing tours longer than most of them; and some of the tour companies were started by former Alla employees, I chose Alla. I also liked something better about what was in her tours that some of the others didn't do; but I can't remember now. Trying to compare them all will give you a headache. :D

Since you should be fine with any of the main companies, just go with who you feel most comfortable with. What really matters is what guide the company gives you for your tour. I chose Alla and am so glad we did.

I looked at all of the popular ones while doing my research. I did want one that provided tours in all five cities; which I don't believe TJ did. All of them had good reviews and reputations on CC. Since Alla has been doing tours longer than most of them; and some of the tour companies were started by former Alla employees, I chose Alla. I also liked something better about what was in her tours that some of the others didn't do; but I can't remember now. Trying to compare them all will give you a headache. :D

Since you should be fine with any of the main companies, just go with who you feel most comfortable with. What really matters is what guide the company gives you for your tour. I chose Alla and am so glad we did.

Thanks so much! With so many excellent options, I've never had such a challenge choosing an independent tour!

Deedee

Thanks so much! With so many excellent options, I've never had such a challenge choosing an independent tour!

Deedee

Hi Deedee!

I chose TJ for next May. I e-mailed all three, and I was most comfortable with TJ...they responded very quickly and answered all my questions. I ended up putting together a small group from my roll call for a private tour that combines components of the "Sightsee Till You Drop" tour and the Standard (Relaxed) Tour. TJ had no problem doing that and I thought the price was right. They also offer tours in all the cities, although we're only using them in Tallinn and St. Petersburg.

For some reason I wasn't comfortable with Alla. I couldn't tell you why -- maybe it's just that the responses I got from them were more "stock" e-mails and didn't answer any of my questions.

I received a confirmation from TJ within hours of making my reservation, and then I received our actual tour tickets about 2 days later.

I do have a bunch of information I compiled when I was trying to make up my mind. If you want me to send any of it to you just shoot me an e-mail or Facebook message. I think ultimately any of the "Big 3" would do a great job and it comes down to who offers the product you want and who you feel comfortable making arrangements with!

Hi Deedee!

I chose TJ for next May. I e-mailed all three, and I was most comfortable with TJ...they responded very quickly and answered all my questions. I ended up putting together a small group from my roll call for a private tour that combines components of the "Sightsee Till You Drop" tour and the Standard (Relaxed) Tour. TJ had no problem doing that and I thought the price was right. They also offer tours in all the cities, although we're only using them in Tallinn and St. Petersburg.

For some reason I wasn't comfortable with Alla. I couldn't tell you why -- maybe it's just that the responses I got from them were more "stock" e-mails and didn't answer any of my questions.

I received a confirmation from TJ within hours of making my reservation, and then I received our actual tour tickets about 2 days later.

I do have a bunch of information I compiled when I was trying to make up my mind. If you want me to send any of it to you just shoot me an e-mail or Facebook message. I think ultimately any of the "Big 3" would do a great job and it comes down to who offers the product you want and who you feel comfortable making arrangements with!

Thanks Cindy!

I'd love to see what you've compiled. We're looking at either Alla's "Grand" two day tour or TJ's 2-day "Highlights". I think I've ruled out SPB, even though they've been the best with communications. SPB seems to want me put together the group and I'm not interested in that. I've started a roll call, but no one has joined :( We're also comparing the evening options that are offered...a vodka tasting sounds right up my alley :D

I'll FB message you my e-mail.

Thanks again :)

Deedee

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 SPB tours which ended up being private tours because we were not able to round up any other pax. We posted on SPB's website and here on CC. We wouldn't have minded meeting up with another couple or two. I would say that is my only criticism of SPB but then we were the only ship in port on our first day and ours was a small ship and most pax had private tours awaiting them anyway. It turned out to be excellent and the small premium paid was well worth it.

I have been reading all these entries about tour companies and I have contacted SPB tours and told them to book their deluxe tour. I didn't check TJ, but I just felt comfortable with them from what I read here and Trip Advisor. I didn't check TJ, but I hope I have made the right choice. There is so much work involved with booking all these excursions that I didn't want to over analyze. It sounds like they all do a good job.

I have been reading all these entries about tour companies and I have contacted SPB tours and told them to book their deluxe tour. I didn't check TJ, but I just felt comfortable with them from what I read here and Trip Advisor. I didn't check TJ, but I hope I have made the right choice. There is so much work involved with booking all these excursions that I didn't want to over analyze. It sounds like they all do a good job.

We used SPB and were pleased. The owner, Viktoria, is very hands on. She will likely be outside the cruise terminal building to meet you at the beginning, and she will likely bid goodbye to you when your two day tour is over. SPB is well run. You will see probably see multiple SPB groups at the various venues. Our guide and driver were masterful in getting us in and out of the palaces and museums.

That said, I think any of the major tour operators would be a fine choice.

Hi Deedee!

I just used TJ in August and they were wonderful. I ended up with a private 1 day tour with my husband and we had the best time as we were able to pick and choose what we did and for how long. I agree that when I contacted all 3 it seemed that I got stock email replies from all 3 at first and then when I went into specifics TJ came back with a thorough response and from there it was like talking to a friend during all of my planning.