Is there any such thing as a reliable mobility scooter rental company?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:39 AM.
Old Bridge, N.J.
2,513 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by kokopelli-az
As a note, some cruise lines only authorize certain scooter rental companies to deliver mobility devices to the ship. Check your cruise lines' accessibility policies on their website to see which rental companies they allow. For instance, we are going to be on NCL's Escape in September and only Special Needs at Sea rentals are allowed to be delivered to the ship: "Please note that Special Needs at Sea is the exclusive supplier for Norwegian Cruise Line and other vendors will not have access to Norwegian ships."

And by the way, on the Escape they do not deliver your scooter/wheelchair to your room. There is a special area in the terminal where you pick up and drop off your equipment - so you retrieve your equipment after you get into the terminal and you have it until you disembark the final day, leaving it in terminal.
I have a scooter rented for the Escape for next month (August) and I was told You have a choice for pickup and drop off. I choose pickup in cabin and leave in cabin when cruise is over. It has these details on my invoice. They said no problem with this way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rotterdam 1979, Big Red Boat 1989, Regal Empress 1996, CCL Victory 2000 & 2001, NCL Dawn 2003 Twice, NCL Dawn 2004, NCL Dawn 2005, NCL Dawn 5/06 & NCL Spirit 9/06, And NCL Dawn 6/07, NCL Spirit 5/08, Gem 1/09, Dawn 8/09, CCL Dream 11/09,
NCL Jewel 5/10, Gem 11/10, Gem 1/11, Jewel 5/11, CCL Glory 7/11, Disney Dream 9/11, NCL Epic 11/11, NCL Jewel 3/12, NCL Star 4/12, Celebrity Summit 7/12, NCL Jewel 10/28-B2B-11/4/12, NCL Jewel 3/13, NCL Breakaway 6/13, NCL Gem 8/13, NCL Breakaway 10/13, NCL Breakaway 3/14, NCL Gem 4/14, CCL Splendor 5/14, CCL Splendor 7/14, CCL Splendor 9/14, RC Quantum of the Seas 2/15, RC Liberty of the seas, 5/15, NCL Gem 6/15, NCL Breakaway 8/15, CCL Splendor 10/15, RC Anthem of the seas 11/15, NCL Breakaway 2/16, Celebrity Summit 5/16, NCL Escape 6/16, CCL Sunshine 8/16, NCL Gem 9/16, CCL Sunshine 10/16, RC Anthem of the seas 2/17, NCL Breakaway 4/17, Anthem of the Seas 6/17, NCL Escape 8/17, NCL Breakaway 9/17: NEXT UP: (CRUISE #55)
194 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by TVLady3
I have a scooter rented for the Escape for next month (August) and I was told You have a choice for pickup and drop off. I choose pickup in cabin and leave in cabin when cruise is over. It has these details on my invoice. They said no problem with this way.
We rented a companion/transport chair, not a scooter, from Special Needs at Sea. They (Special Needs) specifically said to pick it up at the kiosk in the terminal. And the invoice states "Equipment dropoff point: Miami Terminal B" and "Equipment Pickup Point: Miami Terminal B." Also it states "At the completion of your trip, you must leave your equipment in the designated location stated above for pickup at the end of the cruise."

That's interesting about they gave you a choice. Maybe the difference is you are renting a scooter and we are renting a companion/transport chair.