Alesund and Mt Aksla

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Northern Europe & Baltic Sea
Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Reykjavik, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:36 AM.
Toronto, Canada
57 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by ctutu1
We were in Alesund on the Koningsdam earlier this month. We also rented a car through Avis, a few months in advance. It was a very easy process. We drove out to Trollstigen via Andalsnes, then back around to the island of Alnes to see the lighthouse, go to the beach, and then back to town. A gorgeous drive all around. Trollstigen was fantastic. We had a manual transmission, which, IMO, is far easier to maneuver in this type of driving to control speed. The road itself is pretty hairy - there are a few spots that are for one vehicle only, and we had 2 buses trying to pass each other. It took a while and traffic became very backed up. But, the view at the top was amazing, and the drive down the other side was very pleasant.
Your route sounds good too. Is there a map to show the route you took?
I have reserved a car at Avis too.
Thanks a lot for the useful info.
The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico
6,583 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Blocks, I hope you will read this. I want to thank you again for all your replies re the rentalcar to Trollstigen from Alesund. We came back this weekend and we enjoyed our day from Alesund so much. Although we didnot book a large car, we got a nice luxury Lexus (!) for that day. If I hadnot read about you doing this we would not had such a great day. Thanks again!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last cruises: Koningsdam 27 August 2017 - Norway
Celebrity Millenium Asia, December 2016
RCCL Vision of the seas Med, october 15 2016.
Various cruises on HAL, Celebrity and Orient Lines (doesnot exist anymore)
1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam"[/b][/font]
1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent long winter stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
United Kingdom
113 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by Ine
Blocks, I hope you will read this. I want to thank you again for all your replies re the rentalcar to Trollstigen from Alesund. We came back this weekend and we enjoyed our day from Alesund so much. Although we didnot book a large car, we got a nice luxury Lexus (!) for that day. If I hadnot read about you doing this we would not had such a great day. Thanks again!
Hi Ine, my pleasure thanks for the feedback, I am really glad you enjoyed your day, really spectacular scenery and nice bonus with the car.