Alaska in a wheelchair

Ski Mom

"If your time in Skagway is limited, you might want to choose the White Pass Summit Excursion. The 40-mile round-trip tour takes visitors to the summit of the White Pass, with an elevation gain of nearly 3,000 feet in only 20 miles. Lift cars make the train accessible for wheelchairs and scooters, but advance reservations for a lift car are required because of limited seating." Hope this helps. I wasn't using scooter back when we took train, but saw people with with them. Now I'm using a scooter and everyone has been so helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for responding. I was just wondering once I board will they let me sit in my scooter or wheelchair or will I have to transfer to a seat?

Just looked at battery on my GO go rental scooter.

Little white opaque light on battery above where I plug into charge is not lit when turned on.

It was lit when my scooter wouldn't work. Now I know when not working press where that light is to reset the battery.

Might need to turn scooter off and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two things: first, the Island Wings seaplane excursion in Ketchikan was THE BEST excursion I've ever done in 22 cruises.

Second, the ramps/gangways in Alaskan ports can get very steep because the tides change things. I had forgotten about the reset button on my scooter when one ramp was too much for my poor little Pride Go-Go, and we had to leave it at the dock while using other transportation in the port city. So the advice to be familiar with the reset button is very very helpful! I've needed to press it repeatedly in especially hilly areas whether we were on a cruise or not.

Two things: first, the Island Wings seaplane excursion in Ketchikan was THE BEST excursion I've ever done in 22 cruises.

Second, the ramps/gangways in Alaskan ports can get very steep because the tides change things. I had forgotten about the reset button on my scooter when one ramp was too much for my poor little Pride Go-Go, and we had to leave it at the dock while using other transportation in the port city. So the advice to be familiar with the reset button is very very helpful! I've needed to press it repeatedly in especially hilly areas whether we were on a cruise or not.

So glad to hear about about your wonderful experience with Island Wings! I'm so glad we decided to splurge and do it too! I think after hearing about the steepness of the ramp being too much for the Pride and Go I may use my rented scooter on board the ship and use my manual wheelchair on shore. I just hate that my DH will be stuck pushing me. Thanks for the feed back!