Is "no excursion" a good option here?

Warmer Climes

We're going to be in Tortola next month and none of the excursions I have read about interest us. Don't like crowds, don't want a day at the beach, don't want a sailing day, don't want to snorkle. (Our favorite excursions on other cruises have been cave tubing in Belize, horseback riding in Jamaica and riding the public transportation in Mexico and going to Merida.) I am thinking about just walking around Road Town and I am wondering if there's enough there to spend the day or should we combine it with some tour available at the dock. I have tried to read a lot on this board so I apologize in advance if I am asking a question that has been asked many times. Oh, also, where is a good lunch place if we stay in Road Town?

Thanks, Barb

It's tough to kill an entire day in Road Town. There's a bit of shopping, the Botanical Gardens, a small museum used to be on Main St but not many folks went there so I don't know if it's still open.

I would suggest you negotiate a price for an island tour with one of the many taxi's that will be at and/or near the pier, then spend some time in Road Town.

As for lunch in Road Town, I like Seaside Grill at Village Cay Marina, Pusser's, or the Pub.

The BVI's are extremely beatiful, we chartered a yacht a couple of years ago and saw all the islands.

Certainly the main town wouldn't fill a whole day.

If there was one thing I would do that would be to take the ferry to Virgin Gorda and to visit the 'Baths'.

Wow! You HAVE to get out and see Tortola!! This is what I would do (If I didn't want a day at the beach-:eek:)

Negotiate a rate with a local cabbie to drive you around for an island tour...Have him take you to Soper's Hole where you can go to Pusser's and sit right in the beautiful marina and have lunch, do a little shopping and then head back to the Roadtown area closer to your departure time where you can walk around and do any further shopping, etc you care to do. There is also a Pusser's bar at Roadtown for drinks...

Roadtown is the one place we avoid when we are on Tortola for vacation, so have fun, and go explore the island!

Thanks, everyone. Even though I said we don't like crowds or a sail day or a day at the beach, I changed my mind and booked a half day sail on Patiuche to Virgin Gorda. I figure that will give us time to go wander around afterwards. We tend to like to eat where local people eat, talk to people and get out on the economy so to speak but I think this excursion will balance off our others on this cruise.

(I don't have the attention span to enjoy lounging on the beach. I like more active stuff because I am antsy. We live 15 miles from the ocean and I bet I haven't had a beach day in three years, but part of that is because the ocean here off NH is COLD even in August!)

Thanks again for all the information,

Barb

Wow! You HAVE to get out and see Tortola!! This is what I would do (If I didn't want a day at the beach-:eek:)

Negotiate a rate with a local cabbie to drive you around for an island tour...Have him take you to Soper's Hole where you can go to Pusser's and sit right in the beautiful marina and have lunch, do a little shopping and then head back to the Roadtown area closer to your departure time where you can walk around and do any further shopping, etc you care to do. There is also a Pusser's bar at Roadtown for drinks...

Roadtown is the one place we avoid when we are on Tortola for vacation, so have fun, and go explore the island!

Thanks for all the info, we are really ready to get out of this -7 below temps here in the Midwest.

We went to Virgin Gorda & the Baths last year. The beach was way, way too crowded for our liking, so we hiked on the trails and really enjoyed that.

About the Botanical Gardens: are there some trails there? Pyrate13: I think in another post you said it takes an hour to an hour and a half to see them? Do you recommend the gardens for a 1/2 day visit?

We went to the Botanical Gardens near the cruise ship terminal in Dominca and enjoyed them for a couple hours where we climbed the stairs to the top and walked all around the gardens. If you've been to both, how do they compare?

Kathy

Kathy,

I have been to Dominica but not to their Botanical Garden. The gardens in Road Town are not large but we enjoy them for the change of pace and as a relaxing, peaceful break from rushing around. They make a nice stop on a half day visit to Tortola.

About the Botanical Gardens: are there some trails there?

Kathy

Can't compare with Dominica. As for the gardens in St Johns, it's a moderate walk from the pier, on the northwest side. It's only a few acres so I wouldn't say it has trails; more like paths. Costs something like $3 to get in. If you like plants you could kill an hour or so. (If you don't like plants don't go; place is full of them).

• 2 months later...

Hope you can help us. You seem to be a wealth of info re: Tortola. DH and I are looking for a half-day catamaran sail (we're there on Wednesday 4/8, not Saturday which is when I see Patouche offers their half-day). Do you know of anybody else who offers a half-day sail in Tortola? There are three ships there this day - :mad:. Oh well, thanks for any help you can offer. Oh, if it matters, we would like to go to Norman Island for the caves snorkeling and have our own equipment. Do you know if there is a private or public co. who just ferries people over and back?

Hope you can help us. You seem to be a wealth of info re: Tortola. DH and I are looking for a half-day catamaran sail (we're there on Wednesday 4/8, not Saturday which is when I see Patouche offers their half-day). Do you know of anybody else who offers a half-day sail in Tortola? There are three ships there this day - :mad:. Oh well, thanks for any help you can offer. Oh, if it matters, we would like to go to Norman Island for the caves snorkeling and have our own equipment. Do you know if there is a private or public co. who just ferries people over and back?

Email Juie at Patouche. We were there on Wednesday and the did a half day. Just tell her the hours you'll be there and she'll try to accomodate you.

Barb

Archived