Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM
j.kaiser j.kaiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sherwood,Oregon
Posts: 14
Default trying to find "cruising" friends!

Hello. :-) We are a 39 and 38 year old couple from Oregon.. we love cruising... but cant seem to find anyone to go on cruises with us that is fun! we have gone on two cruises in the past and the friends we have were either no fun or too big to do anything.. how on earth do we find people from our area that likes to cruise and that we can have fun with! thanks.....Jeremy
__________________
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:12 PM
wwcruisers's Avatar
wwcruisers wwcruisers is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 5,288
Default

Well, perhaps one way would be to pick a ship and destination that you really want. Then, check out the roll-call thread for that cruise. If there isn't one already, you could get one going. It's a good way to get to know others on your cruise, and plan activities.
__________________


Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:14 PM
WALKER1313's Avatar
WALKER1313 WALKER1313 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 106
Default Pac nw here

What is fun?
We Like Celebrity - you?
We like the sun? But will do the cold.
Many travel agents have "cruise seminars" available in PDX. Can't mention their names on this site, but check the Sunday travel section for dates and times.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:24 PM
paul929207's Avatar
paul929207 paul929207 is online now
40,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Greenville, SC, USA
Posts: 42,812
Default

Why do they have to be from your area? We will cruise next week with friends from around the US, Canada and Australia. Next year, we go with another couple from Canada.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM
j.kaiser j.kaiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sherwood,Oregon
Posts: 14
Default

We are looking for people from our area as we would like to remain friends before and after the cruise. Just thought that maybe we could find people on here that like to cruise that we could become friends with.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Mizzouaholic Mizzouaholic is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nixa, Missouri
Posts: 1,153
Default

Book a popular ship and then join a roll call and sign up for shores excursions and meet and greets!
__________________
Carnival Liberty- 2014 Grand Turk, St Thomas, Tortolla, St Marteen
Carnival Freedom- 2013 Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Carnival Breeze- 2013 Aruba, Curacao, La Romana,
Grand Turk
Carnival Fascination- 2012 Nassau, Half Moon Cay
Carnival Triumph- 2011 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
Carnival Imagination- 2006 Key West, Calica
Carnival Elation- 2005 Cozumel, Calica
Carnival Conquest- 2005 Cozumel, Montego Bay, Belize, Grand Cayman
Carnival Elation- 2004 Cozumel, Progresso, Grand Cayman
Carnival Jubilee- 2003 Cozumel, Progresso
Carnival Tropicale- 2000 Cozumel, Grand Cayman






"You can shake the sand from your shoes, but not from your soul"
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:15 PM
trish1c's Avatar
trish1c trish1c is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,247
Default

Are you active in another groups as a couple? While DH & I have several cruising friends that we met through CC, we also found others who like to cruise by talking to people in other groups where we are active.
__________________
Trish
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:25 PM
j.kaiser j.kaiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sherwood,Oregon
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish1c View Post
Are you active in another groups as a couple? While DH & I have several cruising friends that we met through CC, we also found others who like to cruise by talking to people in other groups where we are active.
there aren't really any "groups or clubs" where we live.. we have alot of other couple friends.. like i posted they just aren't the "cruising" type.. thanks for the suggestions.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:33 PM
luddite luddite is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,566
Default

Once you're out of school, good friends are difficult to make.
We HAVE made lasting friendships with people that we have met on cruises.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:39 PM
j.kaiser j.kaiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sherwood,Oregon
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite View Post
Once you're out of school, good friends are difficult to make.
We HAVE made lasting friendships with people that we have met on cruises.
you have that right! we do have alot of great friends. however they dont like to cruise. they are too frugal and are of too large of a size to do any shore excursions that we want to do..
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:02 PM
cb at sea cb at sea is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, va. USA
Posts: 59,596
Default

You don't need to take "buddies" with you...go alone and meet new folks on the ship.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:06 PM
j.kaiser j.kaiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sherwood,Oregon
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You don't need to take "buddies" with you...go alone and meet new folks on the ship.
there are never any from our area on the ships that we can find. HENCE the reason i asked here. SMH
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Cruisin' Chick's Avatar
Cruisin' Chick Cruisin' Chick is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: In the Valley, CA
Posts: 18,550
Default

We don't worry about going on a trip with people we know. We have some good friends (in our wedding party, every few years we'll try to met up (we now live about 20 miles away, but we all have crazy schedules because of the kids), but we would never travel with them, as the husband is very frugal. My husband is also thrifty, but he thinks his friend goes overboard with every penny. His wife suffers from even worse motion issue than me (I'm willing to be stuffed with ginger -- I like going on cruises that much). So while they'll go to the east coast to visit his or her parents, we rather be on a ship.

Not going with others means not being stuck with others. When picking put a cruise, we just have to consider our teen's school schedule and also include her in the decision. Add more people and someone's going to not be happy.

Even if there's a couple in your town who wants to try a cruise ship, you'll have to come up with an agreeable cruise date, ship, itinerary. Too much trouble as far as I'm concerned. If we do meet people from the Southern California area (which happens for us if we go on a cruise from the port of LA), that's nice. There's some people that are now my Facebook friends after being on the same ship. Not close enough to run into by accident (even the valley I live in is wide). But that's okay. I can still talk with them, and others I've met on this site and others, via FB.

I'm not sure how far away you are from Portland or other big cities, but maybe you can talk with your auto club rep (if you're a member) and see if there's a cruise show in the future that you can sign up for. Maybe you can meet local cruisers that way. But personally, I wouldn't book a cruise with another couple I've just met, just in case we're not compatible. You can always book a cruise, and then pass along the info to people you like. Maybe someone will decide to book it too.
__________________
Patty the Cruisin' Chick (may all your cruises be smooth sailin')

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:32 PM
j.kaiser j.kaiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sherwood,Oregon
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin' Chick View Post
We don't worry about going on a trip with people we know. We have some good friends (in our wedding party, every few years we'll try to met up (we now live about 20 miles away, but we all have crazy schedules because of the kids), but we would never travel with them, as the husband is very frugal. My husband is also thrifty, but he thinks his friend goes overboard with every penny. His wife suffers from even worse motion issue than me (I'm willing to be stuffed with ginger -- I like going on cruises that much). So while they'll go to the east coast to visit his or her parents, we rather be on a ship.

Not going with others means not being stuck with others. When picking put a cruise, we just have to consider our teen's school schedule and also include her in the decision. Add more people and someone's going to not be happy.

Even if there's a couple in your town who wants to try a cruise ship, you'll have to come up with an agreeable cruise date, ship, itinerary. Too much trouble as far as I'm concerned. If we do meet people from the Southern California area (which happens for us if we go on a cruise from the port of LA), that's nice. There's some people that are now my Facebook friends after being on the same ship. Not close enough to run into by accident (even the valley I live in is wide). But that's okay. I can still talk with them, and others I've met on this site and others, via FB.

I'm not sure how far away you are from Portland or other big cities, but maybe you can talk with your auto club rep (if you're a member) and see if there's a cruise show in the future that you can sign up for. Maybe you can meet local cruisers that way. But personally, I wouldn't book a cruise with another couple I've just met, just in case we're not compatible. You can always book a cruise, and then pass along the info to people you like. Maybe someone will decide to book it too.
Thank you so much!!
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:16 PM
iheartbda's Avatar
iheartbda iheartbda is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,419
Default

I guess to each his own but can't you have fun without someone else?

Like others have said, the roll call for your cruise is a good way to hook up with some others and they don't have to be from your area. We have people that we met on cruises and have remained friends even though they are not from our area. We've cruised with them, they have visited with us and we visited with them afterwards.

Another thing......sometimes it is not always good to go with friends since your interests may end up being totally different. You may get on the ship and decide you don't want to be joined at the hip but they do. Sometimes you may think you know someone until you spend lots of close time with them and then find out you would rather be on your own.

Last edited by iheartbda; January 18th, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old January 19th, 2013, 06:25 AM
kingoftheicedragons kingoftheicedragons is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.kaiser View Post
there are never any from our area on the ships that we can find. HENCE the reason i asked here. SMH
What do you consider "your area"? Living in the same town, or just Oregon in general? Or someone who may live on the West Coast? The more specific the area you consider your "local area" it is probably harder to find people on the ship.

Perhaps you need to broaden your definition of "local."
__________________



Carnival Freedom--January 2015 (Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba)
Norwegian Dawn--September 2014 (Boston, Portland, Halifax, Charlottetown, Gaspe, La Baie, Quebec City)

Carnival Conquest--February 2014 (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, Isla Roatan) (http://www.steveandtammytravel.com/#...caribbean/cc4t)
Carnival Sunshine
--October 2013 (Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Izmir, Sicily, Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Civitavecchia (Rome/Vatican City), Naples, Marseilles, Barcelona) (http://www.steveandtammytravel.com/#...erranean/c1o1m)
Carnival Fascination--January 2013 (Nassau and Key West) (http://www.steveandtammytravel.com/#...d-nassau/c1xc7)
Carnival Victory--January 2012 (Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten)

Carnival Freedom--January 2011 (Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama)
Carnival Spirit--August 2010 (Alaska)
Carnival Elation--January 2009 (Cabo San Lucas, Ensenada)
Carnival Sensation--January 2008 (Freeport and Nassau)
Carnival Victory--February 2007 (Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios)
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Fabulouskristen Fabulouskristen is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 60
Default

We have a couple that we are friends with and have been friends with for 15+ years. I consider them to be almost family to me. We went on a cruise together two years ago and it was the WORST decision ever. They were complete tightwads, he complained about every single little thing, and they stuck to us like glue the entire time. We couldn't ever have five minutes alone. My point is, you never truly know someone until you travel with them! We will never book another cruise with anyone, except perhaps my parents. Join your rollcall, meet some people on that, and if it doesn't work out you never have to see them again. we are meeting some people from our rollcall the night before our cruise for dinner, and there will be a meet and greet on the ship on the first sea day. We may end up finding people that we want to spend time with, and we may not. We are looking forward to spending time with each other this time anyway!

And if you're on my rollcall and reading this, I can't wait to meet you and no offense to any of you!
__________________
Carnival Triumph, 5 day, 2013
Carnival Triumph, 5 day, 2011
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:12 PM
ducklite ducklite is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Orlando but California Dreaming
Posts: 10,010
Default

This is like shooting fish in a barrel. You live in the Willamette Valley, and area well known for it's wineries. There are a lot of people who drink a lot of wine in that area, and many of the wineries sponsor cruises with their wines for their fans.

Poke around, I'm sure you'll find one--and new friends along with it.

(FYI--Beware Fine Food and Wine Cruises, they've cancelled some recent cruises with no refund!)
__________________
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens

Still to come...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia


I spent three weeks in Europe with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag and never missed all the "stuff" I didn't bring. See how I did it here.

Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:30 PM
wwcruisers's Avatar
wwcruisers wwcruisers is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 5,288
Default

Hmmm... might not want to waste your breath, guys. If you check out the OP's recent posts, it looks like he (or she) picked up his/her marbles and went home. Too bad, because most folks here were genuinely trying to help...
__________________


Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.