so, I'm not a wine drinker...

kelleigh229

Well let me put it this way...I know NOTHING about wine. But I have been known to enjoy a glass. I just don't know what to buy.

So...any recomendations on kind of wine to buy to carry on board?

I like a little bit sweet but not too sweet in white. And I have been a fan of red too, but it sometimes give me a headache.

Any thoughts?

Well let me put it this way...I know NOTHING about wine. But I have been known to enjoy a glass. I just don't know what to buy.

So...any recomendations on kind of wine to buy to carry on board?

I like a little bit sweet but not too sweet in white. And I have been a fan of red too, but it sometimes give me a headache.

Any thoughts?

A nice chardonnay couldn't hurt anything. (And if red gives you a headache, don't drink it. ;))

I see you are from Florida and the best wine is right in your backyard! St. Augustine's very own San Sebastian Wine. Both the Vinters Red and Vinters White are always in our carry on's. Slightly sweet with those Florida muscadine grapes. Check out their website and see if you have a store near by.

Happy cruising.

If you like a little bit sweet in a white I'd recommend some German wines.

There are types of Reislings that are sweet and some that are not. If it has Kabinett in the name, it's a more delicate flavor. Also Piesporter or Spatlese. A touch sweet but not like a dessert wine sweet. Very nice served very chilled and NOT expensive.

I like a viognier. Between sweet and dry. A little peachy and a little lemony. Sweeter than chardonnay or chablis or pinot gris/grigio but definitely not "Sweet" like moscato or eiswein which are REALLLLLLY sweet.

I would have to agree with a dry, crisp PG for myself! However, the OP stated a desire for a discernible sweetness, and a semi-sweet chardonnay certainly fits the bill, as does the white zinfandel. Better yet, ask a sommelier (or give a glass of each a try, and see what you like.) ;)

Do you have a wine shop around you? Assuming Florida laws allow, almost all do tastings and will have staff to help you.

For a slightly sweet white, try an Alsatian (first choice) or Pacific Northwest Gewürztraminer. They have a nice structure and flavor, with a hint of sweetnesss. I'd also second the viognier recommendation. Some of the best are actually from Viginia, believe it or not.

Pinot noir is a wonderful light red. There is tremendous variability in them. Caliifornians will typically be very heavy on the fruit. I tend to favor Pinot noir from Oregon (unless I'm splurging, then I go French, but you have to like that style).

You kind of have to try a lot of wine to find what you like. It's part of the fun...

My DH is a total Malbec guy, but will drink a good cab, syrah or pinot. I basically like them all. Sometimes it depends what I'm eating but other times it varies. If it's hot, I prefer a class of white or cold perhaps a heavier red. I guess I just like it all! :)

I also think the more years you have enjoyed wine, perhaps the less sweet you will drink, but your taste will definitely evolve over time.

Taste test some and find what you like, and enjoy!

Archived