Fredericia, Denmark??

Has anyone been to Fredericia, Denmark? I searched and found that it is a new port this year, and Wikipedia says it was a fortress town and "an hour walk around the city walls" has historical statues, and old cannons. Although it talks about the pristine beaches, I don't think my early May cruise will be beach weather in Denmark.

Is there anything to do in this port?

The Scandinavia and St Petersburg cruise is jam packed with great ports but this one has me a bit baffled. Why not two days in exciting Copenhagen? has anyone been there or is this like an At Sea day docked?

(posted on Celebrity thread also)

Being Danish, I have to admit that I have never been downtown Fredericia.

Certain there is a pedestrian street with stores and restaurants within walking distance from the ship.

Fredericia is very centrally located for excurstion to Odense ( H.C. Andersen) and Billund home of Lego and the first Legoland..Then there is the quaint city of Kolding. All within an hours drive.

It will be essy for you to take the train to Odense or Kolding. Or rent a car for the day, and enjoy the many beautiful places in that part of Denmark.

Let me know what you are interested in and I will try to offer more detailed suggestions for your own excursions.

Thank you for your response. It sounds like other than a walk around the wall there is nothing really to this port - especially in mid-May. We will be in port there May 13.

your suggestion of a train to Odense sounds interesting - can you tell me how to get to the train station from the port, either web address of the train or information regarding train schedule, can you walk from the Odense train station to Hans Christian Anderson museum and garden Egeskov castle, any other interesting sites in Odense.

Thanks again

We just returned from our cruise with a stop in Frederica. The whole town came out to greet us. Specific to the port, it is in easy walking distance of the town but there is not much to the town except for very nice people. Some people when on an excursion by bicycle that was nice.

The ship offerd excursions to see Hans Christian Andersons home and museum. We opted to rent a car and drive to Egeskov Castle and it was spectacular. While the cruise offered this excursion it was $325 a head. The castle also has about 8 small museums, a lot of really cool stuff for children, and we had a great time.

It would be easy to combine the castle with a stop at the Hans Christian Anderson museum. The ship also offered an excursion to Legoland.

This AM I was checking various items before I answered your post, but Flight Medic beat me to it.

Aparently the ship will be docked centrally located in Fredericia, so it will be within walking distance from the Railway Station from which there are 3-4 trains per hour to Odense.

H.C. Andersen's house in Odense is also within walking distance from the station.

My suggestion, if you feel comfortable driving in a foreign country, is to rent a car. It takes less than an hour to get to Odense and about 45 minutes to get to Egeskov Castle.

Also, by renting a car you can at your own speed visit other places on Fyn with some lovely country side so, if you rent a car, be certain to take the back roads back to Fredericia if you have time.

Here is a link which may be helpful for your planning. http://www.visitfyn.com/ln-int/funen/visitfyn-international-forside

By the way, I went to Denmark mid May this year, and had wonderful weather.

Edited by The Viking
  • Like 1

Flightmedic555 and The Viking,

thank you both for your responses. I really appreciate your taking the time to help. I'm one of those people who hate it when they return from a place and hear about something they didn't know about but would have loved to have seen/done.

Do you know what the train to Odense from Fredericia costs? Is there a website for train information/schedule?

Also is there a bike rental in Fredericia or only an organized bike tour? I wouldn't mind trying a bike ride, but i know from past experience i wouldn't keep up with a group tour.

I realize you may not have the answers to my questions, but do you know if the visitFyn website has an email contact for questions?

thanks again!

The reason we rented a car is that while there is a train to Odense I would have then had to take a bus to Egeskov Castle. The bus is. It that frequent and total transport time would have been about 2 hours each way.

The drive to the castle was about 50 minutes and I passed the exit for Odense about 10 minutes before we got to the castle. The castle needs 3 hours unless you have kids as there is a lot for them to do.

I arranged with Sixt Car rental,to pick me up at the dock.

I have inquired a few laced for bike rental and organized tours, and only found one who offer rentals. Not found any organized bike trips.

http://www.cykelservice.dk/

Cost is dkr 75 per day for a bike with 3 gear and light and lock as they write in Danish.

They can deliver and pick up the bikes at the port for dkr. 250 for up to 8 bikes as this is what they can have in the car.

Hope this can help you.

• 2 weeks later...

Fredericia is one of our ports on our Baltic cruise early June 2015, thanks for the tips about what to see/do. Sounds like renting a car to visit Egeskov castle would be fun, also walking around the city walls? Any way to climb them like in some other places, we did that in Dubrovnik this summer.

• 3 months later...
The reason we rented a car is that while there is a train to Odense I would have then had to take a bus to Egeskov Castle. The bus is. It that frequent and total transport time would have been about 2 hours each way.

The drive to the castle was about 50 minutes and I passed the exit for Odense about 10 minutes before we got to the castle. The castle needs 3 hours unless you have kids as there is a lot for them to do.

I arranged with Sixt Car rental,to pick me up at the dock.

We are considering renting a car to drive to Egeskov castle. Is it an easy drive or a stressful one on a very busy highway? We drive mostly in North America.

Thanks

Pat

If you used to American/canadian motorways then this one will be a breeze.

The first 1/3 will have 3 lanes in each direction and then its a more manageable 2 lanes the rest of the way.

Traffic is busy by Danish standards but I think its only 60-70.000 cars every day so not much traffic compared to your mega motorways.

Edited by Danish viking

Fredericia is one of our ports on our Baltic cruise early June 2015, thanks for the tips about what to see/do. Sounds like renting a car to visit Egeskov castle would be fun, also walking around the city walls? Any way to climb them like in some other places, we did that in Dubrovnik this summer.

The city walls is also a public park with running trails and such so it must be possible, but don't expect anything near Dubrovnik. :D

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from our cruise with a stop in Frederica. The whole town came out to greet us. Specific to the port, it is in easy walking distance of the town but there is not much to the town except for very nice people. Some people when on an excursion by bicycle that was nice.

I was wondering how far the ship is from the town. We will stop at Fredericia on a cruise in July. I have some mobility issues. After looking at all of the excursions, I think we might enjoy checking out the town and enjoying some time in a café. Would we need to take a taxi? Do you remember how long a walk it was into the town? Thank you so much.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your response. It sounds like other than a walk around the wall there is nothing really to this port - especially in mid-May. We will be in port there May 13.

your suggestion of a train to Odense sounds interesting - can you tell me how to get to the train station from the port, either web address of the train or information regarding train schedule, can you walk from the Odense train station to Hans Christian Anderson museum and garden Egeskov castle, any other interesting sites in Odense.

Thanks again

My wife and i will be on the Silhouette cruise May 3rd with the port call in Frederica on May 13th. We do have enough time it seems to take a train to Odense/or possibly split a car rental as I'd really like to see the big castle which would require more time,etc.I've driven in Europe and not afraid if not in a big metro area. I have some mobility limits (use a cane, walking a strain) so maybe check out Sixt car rental? Would you like to split? If we could get another couple and use a bigger car, so much the better. Bob & Dianne e-mai: RWBentley@mac.com te:(772)545-0775 and by the way, did you mention you worked in a DC hospital? I did too about 20 yrs ago!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes I booked an Opel Corsa class for USD 110,17, This price includes all insurances.

I prepaid with my CC via the Sixt website.

Thanks Sheik, I need to get moving on this asap, will email them today and book the vehicle over the weekend.

• 2 months later...

This is the official brochure from Visit Fredericia, might give you a few ideas what to do there

http://ipaper.ipapercms.dk/fredericiaKommune/bysek/Kommunikation/Foldere/Turistfolder2015/

• Like 1

Hi all,

We will be on the Silhouette May 3rd and just looking for suggestions as far as tours go. And should we book with Celebrity or do something on our own and in what cities is it best to go on your own? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm a little late on getting to the shore excursions.

Renee and Ray

Hi all,

We will be on the Silhouette May 3rd and just looking for suggestions as far as tours go. And should we book with Celebrity or do something on our own and in what cities is it best to go on your own? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm a little late on getting to the shore excursions.

Renee and Ray

Renee & Ray, please log onto the May 3 sailing's Roll Call (link below), that's where you'll get information and tips about tours in the various ports. Yes, it is rather late but there may still be spots open, please contact your fellow cruisers asap. We are on the May 28 sailings and unfortunately won't be of much help to you. All the best and have a wonderful cruise:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013594&page=66

PS: Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallin and Copenhagen are easy to do on your own. You absolutely need a tour for S Petersburg and Berlin, if you plan to go there. We are doing St Petes with SPB Tours, you could email them asking to join one of their tours, check their website spb-tours.com (vika@spb-tours.com). There are other operators but I don't have their emil contacts, yoir RC will help. Good luck!

Edited by prish