PK Travel Greece Shared shore Excursions in Athens question?

Steve2006

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak about their tours, but if they are anything like their transfers, they are an awesome compay. We have used them twice, in the past year. Once when the country was on a nation wide strike, and

second this past month. We missed our conection in Europe, and when we arrived later, with a quick phone call, we had someone within 10 minutes to pick up us and take us to our hotel. Driver, was knowledgable, gave us a rundown on Greece, since our last visit. We highly recomend this company. We also find them very easy to work with. Enjoy your

time in Greece.

• 2 months later...
Does anybody have experience with this company's Athens Shore Excursion? I checked their website it looks excellent.

we used them 2 years ago-great

we were picked up from the ship and went straight to the Acropolis to avoid worst of crowds and heat.The driver couldn't tour the site with us but met us after we exited and then took on a scenic drive around Athens with photo ops.A highlight was a drive to top of hill where get a great overview of Athens and could climb hundreds of steps to a small church if you were fit enough!

he then dropped off at the Plaka area where could explore ruins,shop or eat before return to ship

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We booked PK Travel to collect my husband and I at the cruise terminal, provide a private 2 hour tour of Athens and deliver us to the airport.

I can only say that we were absolutely delighted with the service provided and amazed at the amount we saw in a relatively short time. Our driver, Dimitris tailored everything to our needs and preferences. He was already there to meet us when we disembarked our ship and the Mercedes van was first class, plenty of space for all our luggage and extremely comfortable. He was an excellent driver and exceptionally knowledgeable of the area, filling us with amazing facts both modern day and historical. On top of this he had the most charming personality which was both engaging and friendly. A really lovely chap.

We would certainly use their services again without hesitation and heartily recommend them.

Edited by KBC

Can't imagine a better planned and run tour. Our guide made everything as easy and enjoyable as possible. Even showed us where to stand for taking the best pictures, knew how to avoid the traffic and got us to the changing of the guards at just the right moment. Very knowledgable and personable. Wouldn't hesitate to book it. Have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I used PK Tours to take our group of 12 on PK Tours' Full-Day Tour of Athens on May 11 and highly recommend them!

It was a full day - from 7:30AM to 4:30PM. The tour was very well structured to include all the key sites, as outlined in their website, allowing adequate/appropriate time for each.

We had booked a licensed guide for the day. Our guide Christina was delightful and very personable, professional and extremely knowledgeable. Her English was flawless. She provided volumes of info and all questions were answered with clear thorough response. Our driver Theodore was also excellent and very accommodating, including having a chest of ice cold water for us. The Mercedes Benz min-bus was very nice, spacious and comfortable.

The tour was sequenced logically and our guide and driveralso took best advantage of crowd timing. For example they got us to the Acropolis ahead of the big crowds. We also saw the special Sunday Change of the Guard at the Palace at the less-crowded noon-time change where we could get right up front.

Potoula at PK Tours was a pleasure to deal with throughout planning and booking. Communications were clear and all inquiries were answered promptly.

I can highly recommend PK Tours with confidence for your Athens tour!

Has anyone done the full day tour by PK Travel...Athens and Cape Sounion? This tour includes a stop to have lunch by the sea (at your own cost). Only problem is that this tour misses Plaka and the museums. It's wandering around Plaka that I think I will miss most. Has anyone loved/regretted the Cape Sounion piece of the tour and wished they stayed with the other tour?

• 2 weeks later...

I organized an Athens tour last month with PK Travel. We were a group of twelve and they put us in a slightly larger van so we would have a little more room. We did the full day Athens and Cape Sounion tour. It was great and our guide Michael was incredible.

We can’t thank PK Travel enough for providing a most memorable experience for our stop in Athens. It was the dream trip of a lifetime to cruise the Eastern Mediterranean which included Athens so we booked a shared tour with PK Travel and are we ever glad we did. Everything was as we hoped for and Michael, our tour guide, was gracious and very knowledgeable. He was like an encyclopedia and seemed to know everything in the most detail. We were very lucky to have known about PK Travel and would not hesitate to recommend their service to other travelers.

For those that booked a shared tour, did you feel the group got too large to hear everything clearly, did you feel the vehicle (van, small bus?) fit everyone comfortably? I sometimes have some issues with my hearing and want to make sure that if I do go with a larger shared tour (up to 16), I will be able to hear clearly.

Thank you all for the reviews! We are considering booking PK for a private tour. Do you think the licensed guide is necessary? We do not mind paying for one if it will greatly enhance our experience. However, wouldn't mind saving money too :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

Thank you!

We have booked PK Tours for our transfer in September, we would have loved to do a full day tour but we are splurging elsewhere :( I have heard that the guides they use are phenomenal though and that they are well worth it for the Acropolis portion.

Anyway, I'm being nosey but I see that your itinerary has you in Istanbul. We booked Private Ephesus Tours (their web address is the same but no 'e' in private) for our Ephesus tour but they also do Istanbul tours. They have been WONDERFUL to deal with and they are very affordable. The cost of the tour includes a driver and a private licensed guide. If you haven't looked into Istanbul yet I highly recommend these guys, they have been a dream to work with so far and have good reviews. I'll do my own review on the Celebrity board once we've actually had the tour.

P.S. Your med report was the first thing I read when we started planning our own cruise and the info was invaluable so thank you!

Edited by MissBreezy

We have booked PK Tours for our transfer in September, we would have loved to do a full day tour but we are splurging elsewhere :( I have heard that the guides they use are phenomenal though and that they are well worth it for the Acropolis portion.

Anyway, I'm being nosey but I see that your itinerary has you in Istanbul. We booked Private Ephesus Tours (their web address is the same but no 'e' in private) for our Ephesus tour but they also do Istanbul tours. They have been WONDERFUL to deal with and they are very affordable. The cost of the tour includes a driver and a private licensed guide. If you haven't looked into Istanbul yet I highly recommend these guys, they have been a dream to work with so far and have good reviews. I'll do my own review on the Celebrity board once we've actually had the tour.

P.S. Your med report was the first thing I read when we started planning our own cruise and the info was invaluable so thank you!

Thank you for the information! Yes, they did tell me we could book a guide just for the Acropolis section, maybe we will do that :)

Thank you for the recommendation for Istanbul! Istanbul is probably the port I am most looking forward too!

And, thank you so much! I will look forward to your review :D I am hooked on reading them! I still have to write a review from our honeymoon.

Thank you all for the reviews! We are considering booking PK for a private tour. Do you think the licensed guide is necessary? We do not mind paying for one if it will greatly enhance our experience. However, wouldn't mind saving money too :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

IMHO, absolutely get a licensed guide! It will so greatly enhance your experience.

Have a great trip!

• 3 weeks later...

We were on a 13 night Med cruise and used PK Travel for simple transfers from the ship to the Acropolis, and a pickup at the Plaka for a return trip back to the port. Dimitris, our driver was very professional and personable. He helped up pick a spot to meet for the pickup and was there right on time. Their service from our first email inquiry to Potoula, to the thank you email we received when we got home was excellent. We would highly recommend their services.

We have used PK travel and their driver Konstantinos Xylouris twice now and have had brilliant tours on both occasion.

The first time was in June 2013. We were visiting Pireaus on a cruise and we had heard, whilst on board, that we would be there on a strike day. I found a recommendation for PK Travel on Trip Advisor so emailed and arranged a trip to the Acropolis and a tour of Athens. Konstantinos was brilliant and got us to everything we wanted to see in just a few hours.

We have just used them again whilst cruising on the Regal Princess last month. My husband and I were delighted to see Konstantinos because he is a good, safe and amusing time. He had suggested that we do something different this time, as we had been to Athens ... so we went to Cape Sounion for a half day. We drove through some lovely suburbs of Athens, had a photostop at the beautiful Vougliameni Spa.. next time we will take our swims and have a swim there...it looked so inviting! Then we drove to Cape Sounion to see the Temple of Poseidon and also the ruins of Athena's temple. The Temple of Poseidon was beautiful and very photogenic! We didn't have a guide for this, we might have missed the information but the guide book was very good.

After this we wanted some lunch and Konstantinos took us to one of his favourite traditional tavernas 'Ta Kalamia' near Attiki. It was a brilliant choice! Beautiful location beside the beach, delicious fresh fish with a Greek Salad, fresh bread and then fresh watermelon and cake.

Then Konstantinos took us back to our ship, stopping off at Athens harbour for photos at a Naval museum that would be another idea for a visit.

We actually had a better tour, saw more and, even though it was just my husband and me, we paid a lot less than our cruise packages were offering.

If you are cruising and go to Athens... I highly recommend PK travel. Their communication is great and there is so much to see in the Athens area than just the Acropolis!

After looking at Celebrity Cruises excursions in Athens, I did not like that most of the stops were "pass by" which means you will only see half of the sights from the inside of the motor coach. So after researching private excursions we quickly landed upon PK Travel. After many questions by email and always a quick response from Potoula, we booked our 8 hour day tour. We were off the ship earlier than expected and our driver and tour guide was already there to meet us and we were quickly in the private van to start the tour. Our guide Athanasia was very informative and always asked if we wanted more or less time in whatever stop we were at which was nice since we felt like we had the freedom that we would not be able to have on a cruise tour. We felt her passion for the city and our kids enjoyed her as well. I highly recommend this company and would not hesitate to use them again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

As mentioned in an earlier post, I first used PK Travel back in 2007 for an Athens day tour I organised with my roll call group. The group had a wonderful day which we still talk about!

For our day in Athens on our med cruise in May, I got a group of 19 people together from my roll call. We did the full day Athens tour with guide Christina in a brand new bus. Christina was a wonderful guide; she was good fun, knowledgeable about her city, looked after the individual needs of people in our group and went the extra mile to ensure everyone was happy. In my opinion, it is well worth paying the extra money for a guide, particularly with a larger group. Our driver was also a lovely guy.

We got to the Acropolis before the major crowds which was great. Christina helped those with mobility impairments to secure elevator access to the Acropolis by liaising with security staff at the site. This is not an easy task as they are very strict about who can use the elevator. If you don’t use a mobility aid, you will need a letter from a Doctor.

It was a great day for a fraction of the price the cruise line was charging for a similar tour! For cruisers, another great thing about PK Travel is if you don’t want to organise a group tour, you can do a semi-private shared excursion for Athens. This is advertised on their website and in my experience is still a lot cheaper than the excursions the cruise lines offer.

Hope this helps others plan their tour for Athens.

Cheers

Amanda

• 3 weeks later...

I had enquirer before my cruise but because the boards were slow couldn't get anyone to share with us. The day before we docked in Athens we met a couple on board who were interested in joining us on a private tour of Athens.. I emailed PK Travel and within minutes our trip was booked for the. Following day!

Our driver, Dimitius, was waiting at he port gates for us and whisked us off to the Acropolis before the sun got too high. He was an absolute gem, full of information and very personable. His English was impeccable too.

He was so attentive to our needs and wishes and tailored the trip to suit as we went along.

We had a fabulous day in Athens and are grateful to PK Travel for an exceptional service. I have no he's titration in recommending both PK Travel and Dimitrius in particular

We booked the full-day tour of Athens with PK Travel for our 7/10 Serenade cruise. By advertising on the roll call, we ended up with 15 people. Gregory met us at the port and was by FAR our favorite tour guide all cruise. We had a fantastic time.

• 2 weeks later...

PKtours is excellent. This will be the third year we've used them. The first year was a shore excursion of Athens and Caape Sounion with Paul. Last year we had airport and port transfers plus a tour of Corinth with George. This year we have transfers from the airport and to the port. Potoula is excellent to deal with and I can't think of any company I'd rather deal with. We did not hire an additional guide and had plenty of information.