Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise News

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise News Discuss up-to-the minute happenings in the cruise line industry.

Old August 20th, 2013, 03:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What's in a Name?

Cruise Directors can be the life and soul of a voyage (along with their staff of course). But to many the title is misleading because they aren't "directing the cruise" they are head of the entertainment team on board.
Cunard have sent the cruise director title to Davy Jones' locker and replaced it with Entertainment Director which more accurately reflects what the important job is all about.
Mention has been made on several posts on Cruise Critic, I think once by Whitemarsh, about the whereabouts of Keith Maynard, one of the talented entertainment directors who sailed on the Cunard Queens.
I met Keith when he took over from Paul O’Loughlin on Queen Mary 2 in Sydney for the circumnavigation of that continent by the Cunard flagship in 2012.
Keith was funny, very funny; was certainly game for a laugh and dabbled in comedy at the end of the evening entertainment in the Royal Court Theatre. He’d come on, thank the artist (s) and winding up would quip…”You’ll never believe what happened to me today….!” and would then tell an amusing tale which sent most of us away laughing.
I found Keith’s email the other day and dropped him a line enquiring if he would be Entertainment Director on any or all of Queen Elizabeth’s world voyage in 2014.
This is Keith reply: “I have left Cunard - I disembarked the QM2 in January for the final time as ED to pursue my dream of working as a TV Presenter in the UK.
“I am not crossing off the possibility of never returning as I loved my 13 years at sea but I am very happy with the choice I have made.
“I am currently presenting the Amazing Cruise Show every Sunday at 1700 on Ideal World TV for Planet Cruise so ironically my apple hasn't fallen far from the tree!
“My job involves visiting ships and ports and filming onboard and interviewing crew as well as the live TV show so its great fun! If anyone is interested they can follow my progress and activities at www.mrkeithmaynard.com where all my work and a blog are posted.
“I am flattered that I am being spoken about on cruising websites and pleased that so many passengers enjoyed sailing with me as I did with them.”
So there you have it…Keith, a trained actor, is not only a star on the stage but now a star on the small screen. Good wishes, Keith. I thought you may like to know Keith is well and still involved with the addictive cruise industry.