.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Will ho-hum and blondie spend some time in Lisbon before embarkation?

Gcmv and Frau gcmv will do a cruise on Europa 2 in June 2015 starting and ending at Lisbon - it would be great to get some hints about restaurants in Lisbon recommended by ho-hum as gcmv will stay in Lisbon for four days prior to this cruise.

All the best to ho-hum and "table-climbing blondie" - enjoy the xing! ;)

For the man who gave ho hum copious amounts information about restaurants, night clubs, "joints", "speak easies", in ?????? (forgotten).

Well of course ho hum will be only too happy to oblige but in fact we are being taken by the Commander & Abenaki to what seems to be an amazing seafood, beach restaurant some drive out of Lisbon.

Kind felicitations to you and Frau vcmv too.

Oh God, these are the things going through ho hum’s head in the approach to leaving for Lisbon and then the xing:

10. Impress people that you know Jim (but keep it quiet that you know Charlie !)

Wising up in your dotage, I see.

Incidentally, please try to avoid engaging in any shenanigans that might result in your being banned from SD. As you know we are booked for November '15 and counting the days. Well, we're actually not that desperate but we are kind of looking forward to it.

Well BB (better known as B** & J*** if ho hum is not mistaken) having briefly surmised YOUR posting, ho hum would similarly come to the following conclusions:

- having "read ALL postings by ho hum" !

One surmises that you are no longer in gainful employment !

You lucky b*****r ! (Old Anglo-Saxon expression. Trust ho hum, not offensive in the slightest. Truly).

OR

That if you are employed, then it would explain the dip in WalMart's profits ! (Yes, ho hum admits that could be construed as offensive but we are chums right ?).

- so you have "boned up" on ho hum's references in postings and you MAY have sailed with ho hum and blondie TWICE: and so that leads you into thinking you know ho hum's identity ?

God you're good ! (feel the heavy sarcasm in that line for a moment; yes dwell a little longer and savour every nuance....aaaaaahhhhhj) !

Haha

Well ho hum can go, oh so much better ........ but your privacy is safe (B&J)

Ho hum would say, see you in the piano bar....the lady has a great voice !

- regarding which vessel; well that has been answered in a previous post. SDII from Lisboa !

- and remember like the Scarlet Pimpernel, ho hum will never reveal his identity !

Lives are at stake BB: please remember that.

- and yes, ho hum will be delighted to re-make your acquaintance too, naturally. It is going to be a great voyage though 2/3 days out of Lisbon could be a bit lively !!! But that might calm down.

Have a safe trip to Lisbon guys and really look forward to meeting you AGAIN.

Yep.. Ho Hum.. it is B & J.. and J is warming up for the piano bar (I'll tell her what you said about her voice).

I am warming up for the martini's and other favorites. Got the Kindle loaded.

And yep, I missed the Lisboa part, but then I see that you posted that you'll be with Captain Lund, who will be on SDII for the crossing.. He is one of our favorites (possibly because he was the captain for our first Sea Dream cruise a few years ago).. But all of the captains on Sea Dream are our favorites in different ways.

And yes I am retired, so I do have a tiny bit of time on my hands to read all of the postings, but inquiring minds want to know (or rather wanted to know).

I hear that we will have a smallish passenger list with only 35 or so passengers... Don't know if that it true, but whatever the number is will be great with us.

We leave on Saturday for a few days at our outstanding B&B in Lisbon... See you on-board (unless we run into you crawling around Lisbon.)

And not to worry, I wouldn't dare address you as Ho Hum in public to help keep your identity a secret.. and also to have anyone who really wants to know and can't figure it out, read all of the prior pages in this forum.

IOS 8 upgrade !

OR

The work of the devil in the guise that life would be oh so much better !

Now idly jotting has become so frigging difficult.

Chiselling messages in granite to each and every one of you would be easier !

Anybody else being driven to distraction by this "improvement ?"

Only becquse ho hum cares for each and evryone of you so very much that he perseveres but even un-flailing love and devotion has it's limits !

Aarrggghhhhhh !

We are wondering ..

Are you and Blondie bringing any type of a costume to wear on Halloween. It is one of J's favorite occasions, so she is costuming and is making me do so also..

But not to worry, you will be able to identify us.

Well BB, when ho hum was referring to time with the Commander in Lisbon prior to embarkation, he was not referring to our Captain Lund ......... no he was referring to another noble gentleman: The Commander !

To give him his full title, it is the very own Commander Courageous !

The "Captain, oh my Captain" to ho hum.

A man of such noble inspiration to ho hum replete with so many qualities that ho hum sometimes becomes wholly subdued in his presence !

This is not to invalidate Captain Lund's qualities.

What a guy !

He has impressed ho hum so much.

He has the air of someone really at ease and yet as ho hum discovered on the April crossing from India to Greece when he challenged three ex-military to an endurance test for charity and WON against guys specially trained and at least a decade younger......well, then his respect levels went stratospheric !

Ho hum concurs with you.....he is a man you want to be in command of your ship.

Ho hum was "pulling your leg" about retiring.

Yes the view here is, we have made sufficient to eeek out the rest of our days (in professions we both enjoyed) but now it is time for others.

Yesterday a friend died and this shouts out, loud and clear to ho hum to "seize the day".

Our friend was a singer and performer (his death even made the English news) and he was even performing last week-end !

Again, what a guy !

So ho hum has retired also and it is wonderful.

Would ho hum have had time to jot away to you guys beforehand ?

Hell no.

Costumes for Halloween you ask ?

Well ho hum resides in a meek character who is as "dull as ditch water" and whose only exuberant moments are "nestling within the bosom" of his chum's company wherein he takes a most subservient role abiding in wonder at the good fortune that has befallen him to be in their most glorious and benificent presence !

Combine that with ho hum's conditioning as an un-loved young child, raised by wicked Jesuits (the stormtroopers of the Catholic church), educated at an all boys school where first names were forbidden and raised in 50's England (just after the war) and you will not be surprised to hear that REPRESSION regrettably still abides ! (Although somewhat diminished).

Hence no displays of any kind are possible let alone inviting attention by wearing a costume especially if the purpose is for one of FUN !

And "horror of all horrors": the words ORGANISED FUN send ho hum shrivelling into a muted ball !

Therefore ho hum will regrettably not be joining you in this event for reasons explained.

Ho hum is just amazed and humbled that others like your good self are capable of bestowing such enjoyment to others by events such as these.

In addition, ho hum must also advise that Halloween is not celebrated much in the UK or in Europe for that matter and hence we do not have the tradition or familiarity with this event which we consider as distinctly American in flavour.

But we will rejoice at the sidelines.

Thankyou beforehand for respecting ho hum's identity.

One fears that one would have to act as a buffoon for the entire time of the voyage otherwise when in fact the reality is the actual person which ho hum has latched onto is almost invisible trapped within English conditioning of the most repressive kind.

Please "lower the bar" of expectations right away !

There will inevitably be disappointment but ho hum is simply preparing you for that day !

Capiche.

And yet, ho hum really looks forward to meeting you both again ....... "Oh it's you !"

God does'nt ho hum witter on.

Ho hum is painfully aware at times that our dear German friend has to have a dictionary beside him to comprehend these posts !

And yet ho hum will insist on using so many antiquated (to many) English expressions.....so, sorry R !

35 pax? I hope they upgrade everyone to a Commode, errr, Commodore suite :D

Sadly, Mrs D is far too high-strung for so many sea days, but sounds perfect to ol' Ragnar - limitless alcohol and 35 trapped souls to annoy...

News from blondie that ho hum has been made to swear to secrecy in case it wipes out all her agents working behind the lines in the SD bunker located in a mountain outside Oslo

and,

if ever ho hum divulges this information, well his life will not be worth living and will never be able to be trusted again.

Well she was told that as of last week it was .......

Sorry cant speak.

The tranquilliser dart in ho hum's neck is beginning to take effect....

It's 44 !!!

And yes Ragnar, it is not in-frequent to encounter persons whose "other half" could not abide being at sea for 12 days.

"Being at sea" kind of sums up ho hum and blondie's life !!!

Haha

Well at least it is together.

Why is that ?

Ho hum knows you live in the US but you are not living on the wild open plains of the mid-West are you ?

Yes some ladies like to "go out". So more sociable than us men.

Is it the fear of an accident at sea ?

Surely the Costa disaster demonstrtaes this not to be true.

Icebergs ?

No, not so far south.

Pirates ?

Been there, done that.

It must be a sense of feeling confined then.

It's stange, both ho him and blondie feel so liberated by it ....... Being away from the world .....

Maybe we can persuade you to come Ragnar.

Come on Jim, are you coming sometime ?

Wising up in your dotage, I see.

Incidentally, please try to avoid engaging in any shenanigans that might result in your being banned from SD. As you know we are booked for November '15 and counting the days. Well, we're actually not that desperate but we are kind of looking forward to it.

Well, well, well you throw a few pieces of bread on the water and VOILA !

You land a Charlie !

Ho hum just knew ctbjr would bite on that line and respond.

"Wising up in your dotage" .... Ha !

You fell for that one my friend !

And ho hum is sooo pleased t'boot.

Charlie, ho hum has come sooooo close to being banned. !

No, truly !

You dont seem surprised.

If it were not for the tolerant and understanding nature of Captain Terje Willassen, ho hum would be long gone, years ago !

Has anyone you known be summoned over the ship speaker "ho hum we need to talk !"

Well that was more than a couple of years ago and ho hum has calmed down a tad.........yes we all know what happened in St.Trops but it was the sun, the exuberance, the fun, the food, the peer pressure, the rose, the sheer stupidity, acting like a fool (yet again) !!!!

Yes the crossing next year.....by God you booked it !!!

Well dear friend, it will be amazing !

We just need to persuade Jim and Ralph. Oh and Poppy too. And all you other dear, dear people.

A bounty of posts from ho hum !

A plethora.

A cornucopia.

A veritable feast.

So maybe ho hum should give you all a rest tomorrow and the day after that too.

Have a wonderful day ...... And if that does'nt work, then just get thro' it.

We've all had them you know.

Edited by ho-hum

Dearest Ho-Hum, you have left me speechless in your effusive praise.

It must be your Jesuit and my Benedictine upbringings that have brought

us so close ... and totally compatible. How lucky we are to be able to enjoy the fruits of our labors with partners who continue to make us laugh after the many years together. Yes, Ho-Hum, we are blessed!

Like you, I am far too reserved to get "fancied up" for Halloween, though

I cannot speak for Abenaki, knowing of his penchant in that area. Will leave that to Blondie to sort out with him AND our other traveling companions.

Wow, just 44 aboard ... how delightful. No wonder SD is deluging us with

offers of upgrades that have still not whetted my appetite. Can get a

better deal on one of the "last minute" cruise booking sites should I be

so inclined ... which I am not.

Love to the lady and will see you in a day or so.

God does'nt ho hum witter on.

Ho hum is painfully aware at times that our dear German friend has to have a dictionary beside him to comprehend these posts !

And yet ho hum will insist on using so many antiquated (to many) English expressions.....so, sorry R !

Dearest ho-hum,

in fact, gcmv tried to use all available dictionaries, drank five glasses of Riesling and used the telephone-joker to understand the lines of ho-hums post, but sorry, gcmv got lost in "English-space" ... ;)

But the most important fact gcmv understood: only 44 passengers - why? :confused:

Perhaps the reason is, that a lot of the passengers (planning this Xing) were cc-members/readers - and when they heard that ho-hum is onboard this sea-intensive cruise with no chance to escape, ......... :D

"Why is that ?"

- She never sits still - ever.

- No Neiman-Marcus, etc. on SD.

- Would miss our "pony", and have far too much time to dwell on it.

- Is deathly afraid of sharks. And alligators, but that's another story...

- And worst of all she would be cooped up for days on end with ol' Ragnar :eek:

PS - never update to software with a release number of the form X.0.Y.Z. And in the case of Apple, even X.1.Y.Z is dicey.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

They called us also offering upgrades to Commodore Suites on Deck 2 and Deck 3, and I think that the owner's suite was also available. But, in our opinion, the prices they were asking weren't worth it, so we opted out.

I did tell them that we'd be happy to accept any "free upgrades".. perhaps we will be surprised when we board, but I am not holding my breath for anything free. It would seem that with such a small number, it would be a nice gesture, but that is just me talking. If I owned Sea Dream, I would certainly do so.... But then, I don't own it so I'll be happy with what we paid for.

News from blondie that ho hum has been made to swear to secrecy in case it wipes out all her agents working behind the lines in the SD bunker located in a mountain outside Oslo

and,

if ever ho hum divulges this information, well his life will not be worth living and will never be able to be trusted again.

Well she was told that as of last week it was .......

Sorry cant speak.

The tranquilliser dart in ho hum's neck is beginning to take effect....

It's 44 !!!

And yes Ragnar, it is not in-frequent to encounter persons whose "other half" could not abide being at sea for 12 days.

"Being at sea" kind of sums up ho hum and blondie's life !!!

Haha

Well at least it is together.

Why is that ?

Ho hum knows you live in the US but you are not living on the wild open plains of the mid-West are you ?

Yes some ladies like to "go out". So more sociable than us men.

Is it the fear of an accident at sea ?

Surely the Costa disaster demonstrtaes this not to be true.

Icebergs ?

No, not so far south.

Pirates ?

Been there, done that.

It must be a sense of feeling confined then.

It's stange, both ho him and blondie feel so liberated by it ....... Being away from the world .....

Maybe we can persuade you to come Ragnar.

Come on Jim, are you coming sometime ?

Would love to! Have crossed the Pond umpteen times. Always at 30 or so knots while dressed in a tux. Might be nice to do it a bit more laid back

No wonder SD is deluging us with

I did tell them that we'd be happy to accept any "free upgrades".. perhaps we will be surprised when we board, but I am not holding my breath for anything free. It would seem that with such a small number, it would be a nice gesture, but that is just me talking. If I owned Sea Dream, I would certainly do so.... But then, I don't own it so I'll be happy with what we paid for.

We received "free" upgrades on our Costa Rica voyage. From 2 deck to 3 deck then 3 deck to 4 deck. Loved it. Forward next to the spa.

So the world and his dog has been offered an upgrade !

But ho hum and blondie ?

Not on "your nelly" (sorry gcmv)

God !

Shoreside management

You useless "shower" (sorry again gcmv)

Why is ho hum surprised ?

"Why is that ?"

- She never sits still - ever.

- No Neiman-Marcus, etc. on SD.

- Would miss our "pony", and have far too much time to dwell on it.

- Is deathly afraid of sharks. And alligators, but that's another story...

- And worst of all she would be cooped up for days on end with ol' Ragnar :eek:

PS - never update to software with a release number of the form X.0.Y.Z. And in the case of Apple, even X.1.Y.Z is dicey.

OK so this is what you've gotta do Ragnar !

Get onboard, tell the missus that it may be a tad bouncy for the first hour and ask the doctor for a shot of the "old anti-nausea shots" (it must be the old stuff) and she will be a happy little bunny for the rest of the voyage: she may end up like Jack Nicholson after ECT in "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" for a while but ho hum suspects some people come onboard simply for this treatment !

No ho hum has never tried it. It only works on a fully functioning, healthy brain !

They should change the term "Upgrade" to "Download this piece of c**p: better to b*****r up your computer than any virus"

Well the crossing aint for everyone and ho hum may have discovered the reason why due to the German equivalent of Inspector Clouseau who shall be adressed in the next post !

Dearest ho-hum,

in fact, gcmv tried to use all available dictionaries, drank five glasses of Riesling and used the telephone-joker to understand the lines of ho-hums post, but sorry, gcmv got lost in "English-space" ... ;)

But the most important fact gcmv understood: only 44 passengers - why? :confused:

Perhaps the reason is, that a lot of the passengers (planning this Xing) were cc-members/readers - and when they heard that ho-hum is onboard this sea-intensive cruise with no chance to escape, ......... :D

Well sir, how damnably dare you !

You wont need a dictionary or phrase translation for this piece my friend.

Plain Anglo-Saxon will be quite sufficient.

Just because you intend to travel on Europa to avoid encountering old ho hum, it does"nt necessarily follow that it is true for everyone else.

For some, that has to be admitted.

But the crew cannot "chop and choose": despite good reasons to avoid ho hum, they have to follow orders.

Now as for fellow passengers, your remark may explain why when ho hum strolls onto public areas, fellow passengers either do not see ho hum, or seem to be engrossed in studying something on the floor, or remember that they have some thing very important to do or explain they are terribly un-well and are off to see the doctor immediately and another hundred and one excuses.

Tis a pity you were not so well prepared when we met up !

(and ho hum is so grateful you were not as ho hum really enjoyed both your company).

Well you will be ensconced back into typical German efficiency on the Europa but ho hum bet's you will miss the characters on SD.

.......after all you have a wonderful trip to look forward to. 🚢 Lucky you!

Poor moi has been completely floored for almost two weeks with the worst flu known to mankind. Thought her number was up, but on the mend now.

Your health is you wealth as they say. So stay positive and do what you do best. Lock up the old homestead, toast the trip with a few bevvies at the airport and then woo hoo off you go. Stuff the upgrade offers. I was DOWNGRADED last cruise:eek: Still unsure how that happened. Got a wishy washy reply. Anyway I just got on with having a great time.

I've never done a crossing. I prefer being a bit closer to land. However I love the Adriatic and I've seen a few SD voyages that look quite appealing for 2015. Maybe leave it to Sept/Oct as we have the Big Down Under trip in Feb first.

So you see Ho Hum we are all very lucky to have the opportunity to travel and see so much of the world, meet great people/friends, enjoy fine cuisine and generally have great fun.

Worrying about a dopey upgrade offer will just set off the old high blood pressure. Relax, have fun, enjoy and most importantly, keep us lot posted of you fabulous antics. Happy sailing;). Canary explanation to follow!!!

Question?!

At what point does a returning Seadream guest get an email about upgrades?

And what are the advantages of sailing with the owner ?

And statement,... We also frequent Sandals all inclusive couples only resorts.

After every 70 nights they offer a free week. Does seadream have anything like these types of offered? Judging by Ho Hums sailings does not seem so!

Too bad! :(

Dearest Ho-Hum, you have left me speechless in your effusive praise.

It must be your Jesuit and my Benedictine upbringings that have brought

us so close ... and totally compatible. How lucky we are to be able to enjoy the fruits of our labors with partners who continue to make us laugh after the many years together. Yes, Ho-Hum, we are blessed!

Like you, I am far too reserved to get "fancied up" for Halloween, though

I cannot speak for Abenaki, knowing of his penchant in that area. Will leave that to Blondie to sort out with him AND our other traveling companions.

Love to the lady and will see you in a day or so.

Totally compatible indeed !

And wholly blessed !

Yes our partners do make our lives worthwhile yet maybe we deserve this admiration being the sex Gods we are !

Haha

May ho hum caution you in your comment regarding Abenaki and blondie's participation in Halloween festivities as they are both doyens of the elegant and the chic and ho hum could'nt ever see them in costumes celebrating the ghoulish !

So you "let the cat of the bag" (sorry again gcmv, yet another English expression. "Vy is a kat in zee bag ?") that you are being offered upgrades !!

What !!

Nobody offers us upgrades !!!

Kindly explain.

Oh it can wait til we meet up.

But perhaps there will be so many more important things to do.

Very sorry to hear about the reckless events in your adopted country.

Quite shocking but ho hum has to say everybody in the UK was so damned impressed by the sergeant-at-arms manner and decorum when he was seen in Parliament during a standing ovation.

Such dignity.

God bless him and the un-sung heroes that go to make our world and also make it a better and sane place.

Well done sir. Respect from the citizens of the UK.

Well you must be leaving soon.

So safe trip and see you in sunny Lisboa, queridos amigos.