Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old June 15th, 2005, 08:10 AM
5,000+ Club

Default Union and Carnival end labor dispute

http://www.adn.com/money/story/6609714p-6494303c.html

We have arrived at a compromise wherein the longshoremen will perform some baggage handling responsibilities on board the Spirit at the original manning level that existed last year before the disagreement arose," Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer De La Cruz said in an e-mail. "We are pleased to have found a mutually satisfactory resolution."

ILWU workers make $29 an hour to secure vessels on the docks, handle baggage and load cargo on cruise ships in Whittier, Norman said. The cruise lines' predominately foreign crew typically make $1 to $1.50 an hour, he said.

Another link
http://www.ktuu.com/CMS/templates/al...13811&zoneid=4

Last edited by Flip2cruise; June 15th, 2005 at 08:14 AM.

Old June 15th, 2005, 08:32 AM
20,000+ Club

ILWU workers make $29 an hour to secure vessels on the docks, handle baggage and load cargo on cruise ships in Whittier, Norman said. The cruise lines' predominately foreign crew typically make $1 to $1.50 an hour, he said.

God...when you actually see this in print, doesn't it make you want to puke...for real????
This is one screwed up world we live in.

Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock

Old June 15th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

It saves Carnival money if they have their people do it.

Old June 15th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default so true..

seeing the discrepency in print like that does open your eyes huh ? but then why should we feel guilty that we make a decent wage so we can live like human beings in the best country in the world ? we should be looking at elevating the wage structures of these other counties to improve them and the working peoples of those countries .......not just getting the world bank to forgive that country's debt or begging other countries to up their foriegn aid. have we forgotten what Henry Ford did ? he was the nut that created the middle class by paying his workers a wage that made them able to afford to buy one of his products. what a radical.......who'd a thunk that by paying people a livable wage that they just may spend that money ? I surely hope that we here dont think that these longshoreman of ours make TOO MUCH.

Old June 15th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I for one being a union member am happy it was resovled.

I also like the fact that carnivals employees get paid so little, so I can afford to cruise more.
could you imagine the cost of a cruise if they got union pay or even minimum wage.

***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***

Up and coming

Carnival Dream 04/24/2010
Oasis of the Seas 10/09/2010
Carnival Splendor 10/17/2010

Opinions expressed by the poster are not necessarily the opinions of Cruise Critic or the Independent Traveler.
They might not even be the opinion of the poster, being he may be out of his mind at the time

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:50 PM
20,000+ Club

Default and we have to remember...

that they are sending that money back to a country where $200.00 a year income is really something!

They do not come from countries where the cost of living is anywhere close to ours.

I have known 3 waiters that worked for 5 years. That gave them enough money to not only support their families....but open a business back home when they "retired" from Carnival.

What I find so typical is that the union spent all that money (bringing guys in from as far away as San Francisco) and created all that ill will (what do you think those people on the bus is going to remember).....only to get exactly what they had all along!!

No wonder they work for someone else. Henry Ford wouldn't have made it thinking that way.

COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
22 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale) ONLY Double Milestone under the age of 21 in the world.....woo hoo!!
Showing the world what a kid with Autism can do!!!
25 year old son... finally DIAMOND (college got in the way). About to "cruise more than all of us under the water" as a. Naval Officer.

Holiday Ship On A Stick with a MARBLE base...