Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Alaska in June?

We are looking at planning a family cruise mid to late June of next year. My SIL has heard it's really buggy that time of year. Is this true? If so, when would you recommend going?

Lisa

Old July 6th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

We went during August almost 5 years ago. Onboard, it was VERY chilly. I wore a winter jacket much of the time. However, the weather when we were in port was beautiful (still needed to wear long sleeves and pants). I do not recall any issue with bugs.

Old July 6th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Checks

We went to Alaska three years ago on June 16. The weather was wonderful as far as temperature was concerned. We had a little drizzle of rain in Juneau but there is a gift shop right near the port that was giving everyone an unbrella (I'm still using it today). After we left Ketchican and on our way to Haines the wind was real strong so you need to hold on to your glasses, hats, etc if you go out on deck. We were told that the cruise the week before us had rain everyday but that is the chance you take. We are thinking about going back again next summer and if we do it will be in the middle or last of June. I have been looking at www.kroooz-cams.com at the ships and the pictures of Juneau show a lot of smoke from the fires. I sure hope it doesn't completely ruin Alaska. No matter when you go, you will be amazed at all the beauty.

Old July 6th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I don't remember bugs... :)

I was in Alaska in mid-June in 1998, we walked around in all the ports and did some excursions away from the ports themselves, and I don't remember having a problem with bugs. That is a great time to go to Alaska as the weather was in the upper 60's and low 70's (except at glacier viewing which was much cooler). The "evening sun" experience is amazing!

Have a great cruise!
Mercury - Alaska - 6/12/98

Old July 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
50,000+ Club

Alaska

We have cruised the Alaskan waters several times during June, July, Aug and Sept.

We have never experienced any bugs.

We have had all kinds of weather during all the months - rain, fog, heat - hit the 90's in a couple of ports in July.

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:11 PM
5,000+ Club

tupperstamper..... I have cruised to Alaska in June 03 and June 04. We experienced "mosquitoes".....only on one excursion....

I have some great photos of my family (all bundled up)....trying to escape the mosquitoes.

Personally, I would not hesitate to cruise Alaska in June...again.

Celebrity Millennium
June 12, 2015

Navigator of the Seas
October 11, 2015

Old July 7th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Just got back from Alaska on Sunday after a two week land and cruise trip (and it was wonderful!). We didn't have any bugs, and had unseasonably hot weather for the first week. Even the second week was very mild. It was our first trip to Alaska, but was wonderful weather all around...no bugs, even in Denali!