carry on liquor

dgreeney

Anyone have any experience with "Rum Runners". I had good luck on other cruise lines.

The latest is that they are being detected now. I certainly would not pack one in my carry on bag, and you take your chances with checked bags.

Why not purchase a bottle through Bon Voyage? Prices are not too bad considering the alternatives of hassling with the bags, funnels, worries about the naughty room, etc.

what or how could they detect alcohol in your suitcase? do they have booze sniffing dogs or something?

They use x-ray equipment similar to what TSA uses, which can detect the difference between liquids and other matter. Also, RRs have a cap which is a giveaway to its presence, and the Carnival screeners are now looking for that. The only thing you have going in your favor is that they have mere moments to screen each bag, so if you pack them carefully, you may get past them.

It used to be a matter of just sticking your booze in the bottle it came in into your luggage. Now it is just too risky so I buy from BV.

what or how could they detect alcohol in your suitcase? do they have booze sniffing dogs or something?

Carnival invested in the latest state of the art scanning system that is used by the airlines....and every piece of checked luggage is put through the scanner... It can detect liquids...no matter what container it's in.

They catch most of it now. You takes your chances. ALL allowed liquids are required to be hand carried on..so, if anything in your suitcase looks out of the ordinary, they'll open it and removed the booty...leaving a note in your suitcase.

If your suitcase is locked, the bag is set asside and you will be called down to open it. Booze in it's original container with an unbroken seal will be removed and held until your return.Booze not in it's original container will be confiscated and destroyed....with no compensation.

ALL allowed liquids are required to be hand carried on..so' date=' if anything in your suitcase looks out of the ordinary, they'll open it and removed the booty...leaving a note in your suitcase.

quote']

Just a nit picky comment: all allowable carried on drinks i.e. water, soda, wine need to be in your carryon. Not all "liquids" i.e. mouthwash, toiletries, etc.....

On my last CCL cruise in Nov., I packed several RR's in my CARRY-ON and checked bags. I won't say which port I was at, but all got through. I also had waters, let them know that they were in the bag and that was the end of it. They didn't even look at the water bottles.

OP - There's a bazillion of these threads, it's very easy to do a search as previously mentioned.

Okay, here's a semi-related question: what's the procedure if you plan to bring alcohol on board, but don't want/need to have access to it during the cruise?

My husband loves a particular brand of rum that is not sold in Canada. We're staying in Orlando for a week before our cruise, and know the rum is carried at a liquor store near our hotel, so we're planning to pick up a couple of bottles to bring home.

When we arrive for check-in at the cruise terminal, do we let them know that we have the rum? Or at the security check?

Erin

No need to say, since the ship is in your signature. ;)

OK Now that was funny :D Not going to say where my next cruise port is :p LMAO

DUH!! You don't think I know that:rolleyes:;)

There's always such a big deal made about which port is the easiest to "smuggle" into, that I didn't want to start another one of those discussions.

Okay, here's a semi-related question: what's the procedure if you plan to bring alcohol on board, but don't want/need to have access to it during the cruise?

My husband loves a particular brand of rum that is not sold in Canada. We're staying in Orlando for a week before our cruise, and know the rum is carried at a liquor store near our hotel, so we're planning to pick up a couple of bottles to bring home.

When we arrive for check-in at the cruise terminal, do we let them know that we have the rum? Or at the security check?

Erin

You can turn it into a Carnival rep and they'll be able to give it back to you on your last night. I'm not sure if it's a hassle, but it can be done.

If I might suggest, if you share what brand it is, maybe someone can tell you if they either sell it on the ship or at one of your ports. It sure would be easier then to drag it onto the ship with you at embarkation.

DUH!! You don't think I know that:rolleyes:;)

There's always such a big deal made about which port is the easiest to "smuggle" into, that I didn't want to start another one of those discussions.

lol .. thanks for the info ..:p

Ok, maybe I'm dense or something.......how can they tell it is booze if it's in another small container? I usually put a couple of shots (emergency stash) in a sample size Listerine bottle or similar container.

A few airline bottles work nicely. No Listerine aftertaste.

On our cruise in October we smuggled, brought on legal wine, bought from Bon Voyage and purchased from the bar. (ok I just realized that I made us look like alcoholics, which I promise we are not).

Wine came on in our carry on legally

We purchased a bottle of rum from Bon Voyage for mixed drinks

Frozen drinks and DOtD were purchased.

We smuggled some malibu rum and vodka with no issues. I went to the dollar store and purchased travel sized empty bottles used for lotions, shampoo etc. I filled 9 of them with alcohol and placed them in a ziploc bag. I then packed them in a roll up bag with some shampoo, sunscreen etc. I am guessing that on x ray they looked like more lotion, sunscreen etc.

I just cruised on conquest Jan 16, our rrs were in our checked bag and made it through just fine.

Hi Jennifer.

On the same cruise. Ours all made it on. RR in checked. Water bottles with liquor in our carry ons.

Ok, maybe I'm dense or something.......how can they tell it is booze if it's in another small container? I usually put a couple of shots (emergency stash) in a sample size Listerine bottle or similar container.

My questions is "why"?

These folks know what toiletry bottles look like. If your booze is in a travel size container that appears to be Listerine....you'll probably be fine. Most people don't take the honking large mouthwash bottles, however. Those would definitely ring a bell.

So, enjoy your listerine flavored alcohol. Sounds great.:cool:

Erin

They will take it, storing it untill your return. With any luck, it will still be there when you come back to port.

Can you not purchase it when you return?

Archived