If You Were Chef Rudi What Would You Add or Take Off the Pinnacle Menu?

LAFFNVEGAS

I know that HAL reads CC and we have spoke about this before and I recently mentioned this but I kind of feel like the Pinnacle is getting stale.

If you could make changes to the current Pinnacle Grill Menu what would you change, add or delete. Granted there are a few items that are staples to the Pinnacle that they should keep but any new ideas or things you think they could get rid of?

Actually Lisa we love the menu in the PG. I do wish they would offer the Lobster Mac and Cheese as a sidedish. I wish they would offer escargot. I would like to see the soups rotate out or something. I would like to see a change in the veggies offered. I think those are kind of blah myself.

Some new desserts would be nice. I'm tired of Cherry Garcia and volcano cake. They're very good, I'm just bored with them. Maybe something along the lines of the Cappuchino Bombe, or real English Trifle.

Thanks for the thread, I think some changes would be nice. Especially in the lunch menu.

Yes, please take off the Volcano Cake unless you can do it right so it has the "lava"…mine has always (3x) been totally dry…more like chocolate cake. I can buy the mix in the grocery store that makes a better one.

Also, the Lobster Mac and Cheese. After seeing so many raves, I tried it and it was dry and tasteless…definitely not worth any raves.

Now…keep the flaming lamb kabobs…they are delicious.

Lobster Mac and Cheese needs to be a side dish… and I think that the Black Cod is way to delicate a flavor to be prepared on a cedar plank…

Other than that… it's all heaven!

(sigh)

Yes, please take off the Volcano Cake unless you can do it right so it has the "lava"…mine has always (3x) been totally dry…more like chocolate cake. I can buy the mix in the grocery store that makes a better one.

I am glad you mentioned this. On my August cruise I ordered the highly recommended Volcano Cake. Like you, I had no "lava" in the center. It was just a chocolate cake. I wondered what all the fuss was about. Obviously they have trouble getting this dessert to come out successfully each time.

I think they ought to have 4 or 5 different iterations of the Pinnacle Grill. Have said right along that if you want to provide a chef a venue to show what he or she can do, a menu heavy on beef isn't very challenging or exciting.

How about gourmet Italian, French, Spanish, Seafood, German/Hungarian/Polish... I'm sure I'm missing some options. At any rate, offer different menus on different ships or rotate thru the various cuisines on a quarterly basis.

We've only been to the Pinnacle 4 or 5 times over the past 11 years, but have been generally underwhelmed, to the point where we don't even bother any more. Did enjoy Tamarind last trip and were blown away by the wedding brunch we have at Palo on Disney a few years back when our friends' son got married onboard.

Just a thought. But minor tweaks to what they are already doing won't prompt us to choose Pinnacle any time soon.

I agree that the lobster mac and cheese should be a side dish...and would love them to add escargot...and some new desserts as well. Everything else is wonderful as it is!

Interesting that I've seen yea's and nay's on the lobster mac and cheese. The one time we had it on the Noordam it was "to die for"..I have to think it must vary from ship to ship.

I have to agree about the Volcano cake, it has not been good in many years. Oddly I think the Cruise line that makes it quite good is Carnival:eek:

I too would like to see some different soups I love Lobster Bisque but their version.

But back to desserts what i wish they could do is serve a Creme Brulee that was more similar to the Le Cirque, but I suppose that would get them in trouble with Le Cirque :eek:

Trish, I like your ideas for a new dessert.

For an Entree I would love to see a nice Chilean Sea Bass

And since it does not look like they will be placing any Tamarinds in the other ships beside the Signature Class, how about a sampling of a few popular Tamarind dishes ;)

I would love to have a Sushi Bar too while I am making a Wish List :D

I have to agree about the Volcano cake, it has not been good in many years. Oddly I think the Cruise line that makes it quite good is Carnival:eek:

I too would like to see some different soups I love Lobster Bisque but their version.

But back to desserts what i wish they could do is serve a Creme Brulee that was more similar to the Le Cirque, but I suppose that would get them in trouble with Le Cirque :eek:

And since it does not look like they will be placing any Tamarinds in the other ships beside the Signature Class, how about a sampling of a few popular Tamarind dishes ;)

That's a great idea, Lisa...I think you're on to something! Many of us hear about the wonderful experience in Tamarind, but NA nor Eurodam don't fit into our cruise plans...so it would be nice to enjoy on the other ships.

Having said that, perhaps HAL could take a portion of the Lido in the evening to devote to a Tamarind experience :confused: As they did with Canaletto.

I agree that the lobster mac and cheese should be a side dish...and would love them to add escargot...and some new desserts as well. Everything else is wonderful as it is!

Interesting that I've seen yea's and nay's on the lobster mac and cheese. The one time we had it on the Noordam it was "to die for"..I have to think it must vary from ship to ship.

Sheila the Lobster Mac and Cheese does vary from ship to ship but I also think many of the items do such as the Northwest 5 Onion Soup they serve at lunch. But then I would also rather have that for dinner rather than the French Onion they do serve. :o

I have had one really good Lobster Mac and Cheese ( all as an appetizer / sampler) and the rest varied from really bad to fair.

Having said that, perhaps HAL could take a portion of the Lido in the evening to devote to a Tamarind experience :confused: As they did with Canaletto.

I like that idea as well, actually they could get rid of Canoletto and convert to a Tamarind :D

Great thread Lisa - I too would like to see the lobster Mac & cheese as a side dish (even to share). I just want a taste - not a whole plate full.

Love to see a nice flan or a creme brulee (real) like in Le Cirque or without the caramel/chocolate (or make it optional). Escargots would be great.

Tamarind tasties would be great as well:)

We've always enjoyed the PG, but the menu has been the same (or very close) as long as i can remember (remember, my memory is short)

Definitely get rid of the Mac & Cheese -- it reminds me of a children's dish.

We have eaten quite a bit at the Pinnacle over the years and only once did I get a bad Volcano cake. The rest have been delicious.

I would like to see them bring back the Northwest Clam chowder Soup. I have tried the lobster bisque a couple of times -- not good.

I agree with those that mentioned the lobster mac & cheese being moved to a side dish as well as the need for new deserts.

What I would like to see is a different entree special every night based on a fine dining version of some offerings in the MDR with better quality cuts and presentation. A nice veal chop, venison loin, duck breast, crab cakes, wild boar, coq au vin, and something regional based on what would be in the local markets where the ships are at the time.

I too would like to see the mac and cheese as a side dish. It's way too rich to eat as an entree.

I stopped ordering the volcano cake a while ago, as much as I used to love it, because if it's cooked one minute too long, it's just dry and looses the point.

I would love some really good sushi; not the kind they have in the lido.Can't figure out why they aren't able to make it any better than they do in there.

And some better fish choices. I agree with Lisa on the Chilean Sea Bass.

It would be a great idea to turn half the Lido into Tamarind instead of Caneletto.

Making the lobster mac & cheese a side dish seems to be a popular suggestion here, and it's one that I would also like to see happen. DW says she joins in the request for a nice entrée salad, perhaps with salmon or tuna available as add-ons. As far as desserts are concerned, I have to say that I've never quite determined what it actually is that PG calls cheesecake, but DW loves all the chocolate concoctions so we can't complain too much re desserts. All in all, we like PG enough to always eat there at least twice each cruise, and oftentimes more frequently than that. Their menu is pretty good -- just needs a little tweaking. Hope HAL is paying attention!

Don't count on seeing Chilean Sea Bass -- the numbers are dwindling rapidly and will be on the endangered list in a few short years.

I seem to be in the minority here, but have to say I'm perfectly happy with the Pinnacle Grill menu just as it is. Because we only eat there a couple of times a year, I like the familiarity of it all and can anticipate what I plan to order next.

And, I've been lucky with that decadent Volcano Cake - mine has been perfect every time, across all ships. :)

Archived