GREAT tip for running laps on ship.

I enjoy a good 3-mile jog in the morning and was recently told that the ship I'll be sailing on has a track in which 9 laps is a mile. I know I can't keep track of 27 laps and I didn't want to go out and buy a lap counter just for the cruise. I asked some friends for advice and here was the BEST response! I wouldn't have thought of this:

"Use colored rubber bands around your wrists. Have 3 different colors (yellow for a single lap, blue for every 5th lap, and red for every 10th). You can easily move them from each wrist while your running and if you lose a few oh well!"

Simple, cheap, and effective!

If you are running laps at the top of the ship, your Garmin should work fine. We have had difficulty when running on the Prominade Decks, because we are under metal and that seems to affect the signal.

I use a high tech pedometer that helps to measure my steps and mileage.:)

I took my Garmin on my last cruise, and it didn't work at all due to the speed of the ship moving forward, which it clocked as MY speed. And especially when I was running toward the bow of the ship - my time was AWESOME :D. The pedometer is a great idea - I'll have to set my stride on it.

I took my Garmin on my last cruise, and it didn't work at all due to the speed of the ship moving forward, which it clocked as MY speed. And especially when I was running toward the bow of the ship - my time was AWESOME :D. The pedometer is a great idea - I'll have to set my stride on it.

I just giggled out loud with the thought of your speed... We gave up on our Garmins after our first cruise.

I do love my pedometer. It rocks. :)

Hahahaha! I just spit out my coffee reading this! I hope you added this to your running logs! Too funny! I may have to just use the counting method when at sea. I have 3 days in Bermuda so the Garmin will help me then :)

You could also figure your average time for your 3 miler and run by time. Enjoy the view without worrying about lap counts.

good suggestion! Due to a January marathon, we'll be running two of our long runs on the ship. I was not looking forward to counting laps for 18 - 20 miles.

OP, thanks for passing on your friend's advice. I think the use of different colored bands will significantly make counting easier.

good suggestion! Due to a January marathon, we'll be running two of our long runs on the ship. I was not looking forward to counting laps for 18 - 20 miles.

OP, thanks for passing on your friend's advice. I think the use of different colored bands will significantly make counting easier.

You could also run on land, especially if you use a Garmn. I cannot imagine trying to get an 18 miler in on the short tracks or the Prominade Deck. I do wish you luck.

I supported my husband and 16 year old as they trained for marathons. I know how challenging it can be...:)

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the op for the great idea. My father is going on our next cruise and he gets up around 4:30 every morning for his 5 mile walk. The man is 72 and will probably out live me. :rolleyes: This should help him keep track of how far he has gone.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did 13.1 miles on my first cruise, and just put a piece of paper and a pen on one side of the track. Every ten loops, I'd put a tally mark down. Not hard to keep track of ten loops, and then all I had to do was calculate how many total I had to do before starting!

I used my Garmin just for fun and had the same issue as PhinsAndGills. It put my total distance covered as something like 0.5 miles, because of the ship's movement :)

The Nike sport band is about 60.00 and comes with a shoe pod that works on the ship. You can also buy just the shoe pod for about $20.00 and use it with your Iphone or ipod. It tracks accurately and I have used for about 18 months tracking 1800 miles.

Your Iphone and Ipod have that app for free on it or to down load. If you don't wear Nike shoes you can buy for $10.00 a shoe lace (pod holder) holder at any good running store.

I also have the Nike GPS watch. But not sure if the GPS would work well on a track situation.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-579306/pgid-275946

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-118523

Nathan shoe pod holder

http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Sensor-Pocket/dp/B002503YCE

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nike-fuelband/id493325070?ls=1&mt=8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I cannot imagine doing 18-20 miles around a track. I would get sooo bored. lol Why not map out a course in a couple of your stops and run there? Maybe there is a park close to the port?

We do most of our running on land, too. Have a couple of good 6-10 mile routes for Nassau, a nice tour + run 7-8 miler in Cozumel, recently did a little over 6 miles in St. Kitts mostly on a dirt trail, and 8 miles in Tortola.

I kind of want to start a thread about suggested routes here. Running is one part, but we also try to use the time to sight see. The one trip to Costa Maya- we thought it would be interesting to walk the small village on the beach, so we went out a few more miles, and getting back to town was a stroll through before the finish 2 miles to the ship.

Sometimes, the routes are not all that great, OR I'm just so hot that it's miserable. But we try.

Well, sometimes I run on our indoor track. I have used the lap counter on my Timex Iron-man watch. I recently got a Garmin and the foot pod with it. It will track my pace/distance. If I wanted I could turn the GPS off and still have the foot pod count pace/distance & track my laps on the same watch. My wife walks and she uses her phone and clicks the lap counter on her stopwatch feature.

• 4 weeks later...
We do most of our running on land, too. Have a couple of good 6-10 mile routes for Nassau, a nice tour + run 7-8 miler in Cozumel, recently did a little over 6 miles in St. Kitts mostly on a dirt trail, and 8 miles in Tortola.

I kind of want to start a thread about suggested routes here. Running is one part, but we also try to use the time to sight see. The one trip to Costa Maya- we thought it would be interesting to walk the small village on the beach, so we went out a few more miles, and getting back to town was a stroll through before the finish 2 miles to the ship.

Sometimes, the routes are not all that great, OR I'm just so hot that it's miserable. But we try.

I would love to see your running route for Nassau. We are going on the Oasis in may and only in port for a few hours but long enough to get a run in.

• 2 weeks later...
I would love to see your running route for Nassau. We are going on the Oasis in may and only in port for a few hours but long enough to get a run in.

Sorry I missed this- we were on the enchantment last week.

One "easy" one is start at the port, run toward and over the bridge, and then stay on the main road going the opposite direction of Atlantis until you reach the guard gate. That should be close to 3 miles. If you want more, you can run into Atlantis for an extra mile. Net 6-8 miles.

The long one isn't as easy- I'd need to map it out, as it goes into the neighborhoods. but it's a 5 out and back route that runs by both of the bridges and out to a very very small fort before heading inland.

Going over the bridge is the safest, and easy to follow. But the bridge is a BIG hill..... :eek::D

Archived