View from Pink Ferry Route

tinker

I read somewhere that taking the Pink Ferry route for a ride makes for a nice self tour as a nice view of homes from the water.

Has anyone tried this and how long of ride is it round trip when getting on in Hamilton?

This is a very short route. Goes along the inner harbor of Hamilton and there are some nice views. A longer ride to the dockyard is the local Blue route, not the express which goes directly to the Dockyard and only takes about 20 minutes. The local takes about 45 minutes and goes among the islands in the middle of Hamilton harbor. Then it goes clear across the harbor to Somerset Bridge, then Somerset, Watford Bridge, Boaz Island and finally the dockyard. Our favorite ride was from the dockyard to St George, which takes about 45 minutes. But we took one of the new ferries and got there is 25 minutes. Yikes. JUst keep in mind that the last ferries from St. George to the dockyard leave at 3 and 3:45 PM. But you see the whole Northern side of the island with different views than you would see from the buses. You can also take the ferries at night for a nice romantic evening on the water. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask as I still have the schedules.:)

Is there a ferry that goes from St. George to Hamilton and vice versa? or is it just available via bus?

Not directly. You can take the ferry from St. George to the dockyard, takes 45-50 minutes. Although one of the newer ferries took only 25 minutes, it was flying. An alarm went off went it came out of the water a little too high. LOL. But it was a fast trip. Once at the dockyard you take another ferry to Hamilton about 20 minutes. The bus would be faster but the ferry rides are very scenic and invigorating.:)

thanks for the quick reply! I am only going to be there for 1 and a half days, so trying to possibly do a tour on our own using the busses and ferrys. Good to know a bus is quicker to get to Hamilton from St. George.

thanks for the quick reply! I am only going to be there for 1 and a half days, so trying to possibly do a tour on our own using the busses and ferrys. Good to know a bus is quicker to get to Hamilton from St. George.

You can buy the transportation pass for one day for $12 per person. I am not sure if a two day is still available. The best thing about the pass is that it allows unlimited use of the buses and ferries. No need to have tokens, or the book of paper tickets. Just show and go. This allows you the flexibility to get on and off at your whim. With your limited amount of time, to maximize what you can see, plan out where you want to go and what you want to see beforehand. Make a priority list of what is most important, so if you miss something it is not a big disappointment.:)

we just got back. When we were in St. George we got a 2 day pass. On day one we took the bus to Hamilton, then took the ferry to Dockyards and then a ferry to St. George. You can see so much from the water.

We did take the pink route when we were in Hamilton. It was a short ferry that made I think 3 stops. It goes around the cove where Hamilton is. I really enjoyed it.

Archived