Watch Shopping in St. Martin

mcquillian

An old topic that I wanted to revisit for 2014 - watch shopping . . .

I am taking my family on the NCL Getaway in the Caribbean from August 2 returning to Miami on August 9th.

We are scheduled to port in St. Phillipsburg/Saint Martin on Tuesday, August 5th.

As an avid watch collector, I am planning on buying a unique present for myself while on the cruise. I realize that much has changed, and the deals may not be what they used to be, but for me, buying a watch is part of the actual experience that I enjoy. Yes, I could buy online, but to me, this will be a very special part of the trip . . .

Below are a few links of some of the types of watches i am looking for. I was hoping that those who are watch fans as myself, and have been cruising recently, could give me a hand regarding where I may want to shop. Also curious if there are any "Caribean specific" watch models (Tag Heuer used to produce a few) out there that I may want to consider.

I'm general, I am interested in Tag Heuer Aquaracer Quartz units, or possibly Oris TT1 Divers or the Oris Equis models.

Here are a few examples of watches that I would be interested in looking at. I appreciate any feedback.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/oris...l#.U62gEom9LCR

http://www.authenticwatches.com/oris...l#.U62gg4m9LCR

http://www.authenticwatches.com/oris...l#.U62guIm9LCR

http://www.authenticwatches.com/tag-...l#.U62lNom9LCR

I am so looking forward to this trip. I have recently survived beating cancer, and this trip with my wife and son will be very special for me.

Thanks for reading.

I appreciate your time and input.

Thanks.

I have bought 3 watches in St. Martin over the last 4 years. I felt I got a good deal each time and had done my homework ahead of time. I didn't buy one this past March when I had the chance and now regret passing up what was a really good deal on a Ball watch. In my defense, they didn't have the model I was looking for and I had not researched the one that they had that I liked, so I decided to pass.

Regardless, I tried on 2 of my trips to buy a Tag Heuer but the price was no better than here in the states. There is a Tag boutique and I wish you luck in finding what you want at a price you like. When I was there in March they had a really good selection.

Kay Jewelry has a store on Front street and one at the foot of the pier in St. Martin. Not sure if they carry Oris or not, but it would be worth stopping and asking as they offered me what I later found to be a tremendous price on a Ball watch.

First and foremost congrats on beating cancer! As far as Caribbean specific models, I know Hublot has their Oceanographic 4000 in a special edition of 8 islands. Was at DI in Aruba at their boutique store. I don't know how much you're looking to spend but it was expensive, around 15K. Anyway enjoy, hope you find a watch you like.

Arming yourself with a list of possible purchases - with their prices at reliable US sources - let you comparison shop with confidence in Phillipsburg. The really "great" prices won't be at the legitimate stores - but the watches with those really "great" prices are unlikely themselves to be much good.

I bought a watch a few years ago, but on St. Thomas. First I found the name of only authorized dealers. Then I studied what I wanted. Then I called the store in St. Thomas and spoke to the manager. I explained what I wanted and to see what was in stock. Then I negotiated a price and gave him a $1,000 hold on my credit card. When we arrived at the shop during the cruise, he had everything waiting, I paid the balance and was gone in under an hour.

Fblack brings up a good point I forgot to mention - always buy from an authorized dealer so you have a valid warranty.

The Tag Heuer boutique, for example, is authorized for Tag, Tissot, and Raymond Weil (and maybe some others); Kay is authorized for Ball; A.H.Riise is authorized for several major brands; Little Switzerland is authorized for Breitling and some others. Be sure the waranty is valid for the U.S. and not limited to some other foreign country (I have seen some examples of thiis in the islands) and get it "dealer stamped" before leaving the store.

I'm looking for a Breitling on my up coming cruise. Will stop in St Thomas. Not interested in st Martin. I purchased a Rolex there years ago and many of the papers were in French. Not sure if I'll buy because I can't find anywhere that indicates discounts on Breitling. Of that's the case I'd rather buy in the states.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2 weeks later...
The title made me think this was a warning about shopping in St Maarten. :D

Ha, yes, I see that now. I'll be there next Saturday. If we really do have to "watch" out I'll let you all know but I don't anticipate any problems other than those pesky Mosquitos.

Sent from my iPhone

Purchased a yacht master at gold fingers in st marten. I was quoted a price in Barbados and got the same price in st marten. They claim it's the same price in all of the Caribbean. Should have bought in st Thomas because of the extra duty allowance but we ran out of shopping time after an excursion to St. John.

Sent from my iPhone

An old topic that I wanted to revisit for 2014 - watch shopping . . .

I am taking my family on the NCL Getaway in the Caribbean from August 2 returning to Miami on August 9th.

We are scheduled to port in St. Phillipsburg/Saint Martin on Tuesday, August 5th.

As an avid watch collector, I am planning on buying a unique present for myself while on the cruise. I realize that much has changed, and the deals may not be what they used to be, but for me, buying a watch is part of the actual experience that I enjoy. Yes, I could buy online, but to me, this will be a very special part of the trip . . .

Below are a few links of some of the types of watches i am looking for. I was hoping that those who are watch fans as myself, and have been cruising recently, could give me a hand regarding where I may want to shop. Also curious if there are any "Caribean specific" watch models (Tag Heuer used to produce a few) out there that I may want to consider.

I'm general, I am interested in Tag Heuer Aquaracer Quartz units, or possibly Oris TT1 Divers or the Oris Equis models.

Here are a few examples of watches that I would be interested in looking at. I appreciate any feedback.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/oris...l#.U62gEom9LCR

http://www.authenticwatches.com/oris...l#.U62gg4m9LCR

http://www.authenticwatches.com/oris...l#.U62guIm9LCR

http://www.authenticwatches.com/tag-...l#.U62lNom9LCR

I am so looking forward to this trip. I have recently survived beating cancer, and this trip with my wife and son will be very special for me.

Thanks for reading.

I appreciate your time and input.

Thanks.

Take the water taxi to Great Bay Beach directly from the cruise port. The boardwalk is right there and there are maybe over 20 very high end five star watch/jewelry stores there. Try Diamonds International and Columbian Emeralds and possibly Effy but that may be just jewels. All are very well priced. I know that you want a watch but for example- my aunt who was with me bought a diamond bracelet and got it for several hundred dollars less than she would have in the US. Have a great trip and enjoy!

The place I purchased the Rolex from also had Tags. I've purchased from them before and they are very reputable. When you get off the ferry go one block in and go right. Goldfingers has three locations around there. Go to the one with the big Rolex sign out front.

Sent from my iPhone

I have bought 3 watches in St. Martin over the last 4 years. I felt I got a good deal each time and had done my homework ahead of time. I didn't buy one this past March when I had the chance and now regret passing up what was a really good deal on a Ball watch. In my defense, they didn't have the model I was looking for and I had not researched the one that they had that I liked, so I decided to pass.

Regardless, I tried on 2 of my trips to buy a Tag Heuer but the price was no better than here in the states. There is a Tag boutique and I wish you luck in finding what you want at a price you like. When I was there in March they had a really good selection.

Kay Jewelry has a store on Front street and one at the foot of the pier in St. Martin. Not sure if they carry Oris or not, but it would be worth stopping and asking as they offered me what I later found to be a tremendous price on a Ball watch.

If you get to Grand Cayman, Island Time had a good selection of Ball Watches. Little Switzerland has lots of Tags, and I believe Breitling.

As others have said, Always best to check here before you go. Check out www.jomashop.com .

Yes there is. There is no duty on the watch which lowers the price nor do you pay sales tax. I did claim my Rolex on customs form and had to pay $400 in cash at the port in San Juan. Even with that I came out ahead.

Sent from my iPhone

I still think your hard pushed to beat the prices at http://www.jomashop.com/

Wow, 2nd time I have recommended them in a post. They should be paying me :)

They are very good, and great to use as a reference before you cruise. If you are considering a particular brand/model, find it there, print out the info, and take it with you. Best idea is to go on the watch brand's website, and look for their authorized dealers on the islands that you plan to visit. if you just wander into the retailers on the islands to buy a watch, or a timepiece, without a plan before you sail, you won't know if you are getting a good price. You can easily spend more than the cost of the "owners suite" on a good timepiece :D

An authorized retailer couldn't match their price, but their site is a good place to go to see different brands and models, and to print out info on a few that you might be considering, to take with you - specs , model# etc. In this country, Tourneau phone order will offer some good prices if you call asking about a specific watch.

I bought my wife a Phillip Stein watch from Majesty Jewelers in St. Maarten. (At the recommendation of the Carnival person that advises shopping. ) Less than two weeks later the knob on the stem fell off (lost), the second clock lost five minutes and the plating started to wear. I checked the Warranty for Majesty and watches default to the manufacturers warranty. I called Phillip Stein and they had me ship the watch back to them in Florida. They will fix it and / or replace it. Looks like they stand by their warranty. I have to say that their Customer Service was outstanding. I'm looking forward to get the watch back on my wife's arm.

Sent from my iPhone

Too bad I didn't see this before you left. My husband bought an Oris in St Maarten in April at Shivas.

Ballerinas also carries them as we'll. They were super nice in there and had the best price. Unfortunately, they didn't have the watch we wanted, but he said he could have it shipped for free even from their other store.

Shivas had the exact watch he wanted so we bought it there even if we paid a little more. It was the Oris Artelier Translucent Skeleton.

Hope you found a retailer there and found what you wanted.