Where does your toddler sleep?

Erica@cruisecritic

We're looking at taking my son (who'll be nearly 2.5 at the time) on a Norwegian cruise. He currently sleeps in a toddler bed with rails and has been known to fall off beds without rails. He's a tall guy and likely no longer fits in a pack-n-play (and can climb out anyway).

I'm wondering what's the best place for him to sleep on a cruise. Bed or pullout sofa with travel rails? Put a mattress on the floor? We've never coslept so I'm not sure I could convince him to sleep between us in a double bed.

Curious what other people have done and what suggestions you might have. Thanks!

There was a big thread about this awhile back: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821189

You didn't say if you were driving or flying. If I was driving, I'd bring the cot for sure. People have brought it on a plane, but I haven't been able to convince DH to do that yet.

It also depends on what kind of room you're booking. We're usually in an inside and on most NCL ships that doesn't include a couch. If you're in a room with a couch you could try having that made up for him. Some people have bought the blow up side rails for either the couch bed or the pull down. I wouldn't trust our dd in the pull down. Others have taken the mattress from the pull down and put it on the floor. I'm not sure if that would fit on the floor in an inside room.

Our next cruise with dd will be a couple weeks after she turns three. We're going to Disneyland in a few weeks and we're going to try to get her in a PNP one more time, but that won't work in March. I bought at blow up toddler bed for less than $20 in the camping section of Menards (like Home Depot). It's bigger than I would have thought but we're going to try that. We thought that part of it could stick under the bed, if necessary. Worst case, if that doesn't work, she'll sleep with us. We'll be the ones with bruises at the beach.

If he's a roller, put him on the floor, if there's room. If you have a pullman or sofa bed, bring some swim noodles and put them under the bottom sheet to act like a "curb".... nothing will keep him from climbing out, but it should stop him from rolling out!

He's likely to sleep better on the ship than at home....he may not move much at all!

My 2.5 yr old slept on the sofa bed. Then on our next cruise we go the regalo cot and she slept on that. She will sleep on that again for our next cruise in April and we will get another one for our son who will be 3 then. They are very close to the floor so if they fall out its not a big deal.

I don't know if this would actually work but I've put it in my memory for when our little guy gets a bit older... But I read on a post about some parents turning the couch around so that it faces the wall so the little one can't roll off the 'open' side

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't know if this would actually work but I've put it in my memory for when our little guy gets a bit older... But I read on a post about some parents turning the couch around so that it faces the wall so the little one can't roll off the 'open' side

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've read about this option too...seems like it would work well with either a sofa or even better the smaller loveseat.

Archived