Navigator VOOM Wi-Fi

zjc

Getting onto this thread late ... BUT ... we were also on the May 8th Trans-Atlantic on the Navigator (Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton) and VOOM worked flawlessly for me. We did pay for the $17/day higher speed version. I had both my MacBook and iPad Pro and used them every day. The speed was VERY fast ... not as fast as at home but so much better than I had ever experienced at sea. Not frustrating at all! It worked well all the way across and in the Azores, Portugal, Spain and France. I would upload 6-12 pictures at a time to Facebook and it maybe took a minute. I could even stream Netflix and YouTube with no problem. I was surprised to read here that other on the voyage found this just a marketing hype. In my opinion, it was a wonderful new feature and I'd purchase it again in a heartbeat!

wow! your post gives me hope for our navigator cruise in August. Thanks :)

Getting onto this thread late ... BUT ... we were also on the May 8th Trans-Atlantic on the Navigator (Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton) and VOOM worked flawlessly for me. We did pay for the $17/day higher speed version. I had both my MacBook and iPad Pro and used them every day. The speed was VERY fast ... not as fast as at home but so much better than I had ever experienced at sea. Not frustrating at all! It worked well all the way across and in the Azores, Portugal, Spain and France. I would upload 6-12 pictures at a time to Facebook and it maybe took a minute. I could even stream Netflix and YouTube with no problem. I was surprised to read here that other on the voyage found this just a marketing hype. In my opinion, it was a wonderful new feature and I'd purchase it again in a heartbeat!

Where was your cabin or spot you chose to use the WIFI? I tried all over the ship, paid for the fastest connection and it was terrible, with both IPad Pro 12.9 and MacBook Pro.

Everyone I saw when I was sampling various locations was complaining that it wasn't working.

Maybe there is a particular spot where it works?

JC

Where was your cabin or spot you chose to use the WIFI? I tried all over the ship, paid for the fastest connection and it was terrible, with both IPad Pro 12.9 and MacBook Pro.

Everyone I saw when I was sampling various locations was complaining that it wasn't working.

Maybe there is a particular spot where it works?

JC

Our cabin was on Deck 6 aft and we used it in the cabin and on the balcony with equally quick speed. But, we also used the MacBook and iPad all over the ship. I'd do major FaceBook photo uploads documenting the trip ever day. We'd even get to the theater early (because of how crowded the shows were) and take the iPad with us and it worked equally fast there. Occasionally (not often) if I got up early, I'd take it down to the Promenade deck and read the paper while getting coffee. There was an hour, here and there, during the 13 day cruise where I had issues getting a connection ... but it always came back rather quickly. Really, other than that, I didn't experience any issues at all. Since we got home I've been telling everyone how great it was. Was your problem with connectivity or speed?

Edited by BigGuy25

Our cabin was on Deck 6 aft and we used it in the cabin and on the balcony with equally quick speed. But, we also used the MacBook and iPad all over the ship. I'd do major FaceBook photo uploads documenting the trip ever day. We'd even get to the theater early (because of how crowded the shows were) and take the iPad with us and it worked equally fast there. Occasionally (not often) if I got up early, I'd take it down to the Promenade deck and read the paper while getting coffee. There was an hour, here and there, during the 13 day cruise where I had issues getting a connection ... but it always came back rather quickly. Really, other than that, I didn't experience any issues at all. Since we got home I've been telling everyone how great it was. Was your problem with connectivity or speed?

Speed. I could connect, and I could download email, but slowly, but anything else was unbearably slow. I tried several places on the ship and I never found a sweet spot. Nor did most of the people on my cruise.

JC

Speed. I could connect, and I could download email, but slowly, but anything else was unbearably slow. I tried several places on the ship and I never found a sweet spot. Nor did most of the people on my cruise.

JC

I wonder if it had something to do with the way your browser or internet was set-up? I was using Safari with no issues. There were two prices ... something like $13/day for basic and $17/day for the faster connection that allowed streaming. I had the faster connection. Is that what you had?

Yes, I paid for the faster connection VOOM for 3 devices. I tried both Fire fox and Safari on both my IPad Pro 12.9 and my MacBook Pro. I have used my MacBook Pro on my last cruise on the Oasis, and it was almost as fast as at home. Certainly acceptable. On the Navigator it was slower than molasses in winter in Alaska.:rolleyes: My wife used her IPad Air, but it was too frustrating to bother with.

I spoke to several people in the Diamond lounge and nobody said that the Internet was anything other than worthless.

You were obviously blessed.

JC

PS, paid over $220 for 3 devices with the 30% pre cruise discount.

I was planning on streaming the Indy 500 and Monaco Grand Prix on my computer with my sling box at home. I watched the Indy 500 live the night before the cruise in the Novotel Hotel in Southampton. So, I do know what streaming can be like. I tried to work, but with my Remote Desktop connection thru the unbearably slow internet I had to restrain myself to keep from hitting another key for over a minute for it to respond to a single key stroke. I work on the road all of the time. The Internet sucked.:D

JC

PS, paid over $220 for 3 devices with the 30% pre cruise discount.

I was planning on streaming the Indy 500 and Monaco Grand Prix on my computer with my sling box at home. I watched the Indy 500 live the night before the cruise in the Novotel Hotel in Southampton. So, I do know what streaming can be like. I tried to work, but with my Remote Desktop connection thru the unbearably slow internet I had to restrain myself to keep from hitting another key for over a minute for it to respond to a single key stroke. I work on the road all of the time. The Internet sucked.:D

JC

I had only paid for one device. As long as only one was logged in at a time, that wasn't an issue.

I was offered a full refund but did not accept it. A refund wouldn't solve the problem.

I seem to have hit the last few evenings where I can get pictures up for an extended period of time. I am now caught up from May 8 to June 11, so a few more good evenings will be great. If I wanted to stay up all night.... Nah.

Thursday is turn around day in Southampton again. We're going to try and check out our cabin for the TA in November.

I still miss the Centrum in Radiance and Vision ships.

I was offered a full refund but did not accept it. A refund wouldn't solve the problem.

I seem to have hit the last few evenings where I can get pictures up for an extended period of time. I am now caught up from May 8 to June 11, so a few more good evenings will be great. If I wanted to stay up all night.... Nah.

Thursday is turn around day in Southampton again. We're going to try and check out our cabin for the TA in November.

I still miss the Centrum in Radiance and Vision ships.

If you just knew how to log into Safari, your internet experience would have been perfect... :D. Or perhaps if you hadn't logged in with your IPhone that one time, again, it would have been perfect.:eek:

Sigh....

JC

Here is what I had

ImageUploadedByForums1465992413.092367.jpg.5fb21e542349feb2059f70cd0658b3e6.jpg

We had the surf+stream for two devises and

I used my iPad and iPhone in our deck 8 forward balcony cabin and other parts of the ship. Email was just ok but web surfing, downloading, was unbearable !!!!

I needed to use for work and had to bear with it

Here is what I had

[ATTACH]388008[/ATTACH]

We had the surf+stream for two devises and

I used my iPad and iPhone in our deck 8 forward balcony cabin and other parts of the ship. Email was just ok but web surfing, downloading, was unbearable !!!!

I needed to use for work and had to bear with it

Wow, very poor performance for surf & stream.

I tried to work, but with my Remote Desktop connection thru the unbearably slow internet I had to restrain myself to keep from hitting another key for over a minute for it to respond to a single key stroke.

There's part of your problem - Remote Desktop is somewhat interactive and the high ping rates on non-O3B equipped ships negatively impact such apps. As I mentioned in many VOOM related posts, speed is not main problem, high ping rate is.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Navigator (Baltic)and we had stream and surf package. I was expecting it to be bad but I was quite surprised at how reasonable it was. I checked and it was not 03B (what used to be called Voom) it was the slow high earth orbit satellites. Ping times were always in the 700mSec and above range. Speed tests ranged from 0.25Mb to about 2.5Mb.

We were able to send and receive email including attaching photos, surf and we did do some streaming from YouTube (only SD) and it was fine only time it buffered was at peak time (all trips back and waiting for dinner). We never failed to get a wifi signal all round the ship and in our cabin.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how usable it was. If we go on another cruise I would pay for the wifi again.

If you just knew how to log into Safari, your internet experience would have been perfect... :D. Or perhaps if you hadn't logged in with your IPhone that one time, again, it would have been perfect.:eek:

Sigh....

JC

When on my iPad it was fairly decent. On my laptop it- excuse the language- it sucked. Needed it most for the laptop to get my pictures up, miserable waste of time and money.

We will be back on Navigator in November, I hope by then she has her grown up Zoom on.

We will be back on Navigator in November, I hope by then she has her grown up Zoom on.

It seems like all of the ships that don't have O3B, are in a holding pattern - maybe at some dry dock they will get upgrades.

When on my iPad it was fairly decent. On my laptop it- excuse the language- it sucked. Needed it most for the laptop to get my pictures up, miserable waste of time and money.

Good luck, I expect that unless they do equipment swap it will suck big time again.

JC

We are currently on the Navigator. We purchased the Surf and Stream package in advance. I was expecting the internet to be awful based upon what has been posted here. We are in a Junior Suite on 9 Forward and while it has not been blazing, it has been more than adequate. Ping times are in the 665 range and speeds have been between 2.0 and 4.0 down and 780k to 2.0 up. We have watched some youtube and a news related video about Istanbul. Bottom line, while not VOOM it is far better than it used to be...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Currently on Navigator and was on Anthem last year. Navigator, sadly, does not currently have "real" Voom. I have 2 device Surf and Stream package and getting around 2mb up and down - but very jumpy and ping of over 700ms. Its usable and can email, Facebook and basic surfing and even managed to stream a little video. It's good enough for what i want and so not going to ask for money back but its not the Voom i had on Anthem last year which was a LOT faster! Bad on RCL for trying to market it as the same thing.

Will upload some speedtest.bet later.

• 3 months later...
Hi

Currently on Navigator and was on Anthem last year. Navigator, sadly, does not currently have "real" Voom. I have 2 device Surf and Stream package and getting around 2mb up and down - but very jumpy and ping of over 700ms. Its usable and can email, Facebook and basic surfing and even managed to stream a little video. It's good enough for what i want and so not going to ask for money back but its not the Voom i had on Anthem last year which was a LOT faster! Bad on RCL for trying to market it as the same thing.

Will upload some speedtest.bet later.

Other than than Oasis and Quantum class, the Voom is not quite Voom. We were just on Jewel and we're getting more than dialup to 1.1 Mbps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums