How hard is it to get reservations in the speciality restaurants

Jacqueline

If one is in a lower grade cabin?

I think I would be disappointed to book Oceana for the foodie experience and then not be able to sample the restaurants.

The sailing I am looking at is 10 days, late in October in the Med. I am currently booked on Celebrity Silhouette very similar itinerary.

Also is it true that we will need to board late? After a transatlantic flight which arrived early?

Thanks!

I think you will be surprised how few people actually go to the specialty restaurants. You should have no problem getting reservations, especially if you are open on the time you want to eat. They will make reservations for you, and give no priority to the room you have booked.

If you are really concerned about a particular time and day that you want to eat somewhere, then you probably want to reserve that ahead of time to ensure that time-slot isn't booked.

In reference to your boarding time, it really depends on the time your ship sets sail. I was able to comfortably board my Celebrity ship at 12PM for a ship that set sail at 5PM. If your ship sets sail later in the evening, then you may have to wait a bit. Nevertheless, I doubt that because they want to try to have people on as soon as possible.

Don't worry..just go to the restaurant you want as soon as you get on board and they will take care of you. First check online and see if you can book your slot online. We have never had a problem.

Also, they are pretty good about letting people board when they arrive..take your time going through customs etc and then check your time..they have places to sit with bathrooms and drinks etc if you are

too early (the have to de-board before anyone can board!!)

You will LOVE Oceania..the Main Dining room is as good as a specialty

restaurant on any other ship!!

Sherry

You can book online for your allotted number of reservations depending on your cabin Cat

If you are B or lower you can book 45 days out

Then you can always ask each morning if they have any openings at the restaurants

No matter where you eat the food is very good

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

When you book online, you will probably find that there are some preferred days/times where there are no tables for 2 available. Don't hesitate to book on a larger table. Some of our best experiences were with people we met during specialty dining room dinners.

We book online as soon as we can. Changes can be made once you are onboard.

My cruise leaves in less than a week and I just booked reservations online.

It was easy and no problem.

They have a calendar that shows all available times,etc.

This was very nice.

To start with, EVERYONE is guaranteed their minimum allotted number of reservations in a specialty restaurant (see Oceania site for details - different for R and M class ships). Beyond that minimum people are usually very successful in obtaining EXTRA reservations by trying daily and being flexible with time and table size.

Often you can be accommodated even just walking into the restaurant and asking if anything is available - if not you have the MDR or Terrace.

As mentioned above, you can reserve your allotted reservation online before the cruise.

One more option.

In addition to the recommended checking at breakfast in the Terrace for any available openings we have, on two occasions simply stopped by the Polo on our way to the GDR and asked if they had any cancellations. On one occasion we were immediately seated at a 2 top and on the other we were asked to wait for a few minutes while they checked. They then asked if we would mind joining a group of 6 at a table for 8 which we did. They had apparently asked them if they minded which they did not. It was a lovely group of Australians and we had a great time with them at dinner and later as we continued to cross paths.

On another occasion, first night on board, there was a fairly long line at the GDR and we were asked if we would be willing to dine in the Polo. Tough choice!

Good luck and enjoy yourself,

Robbie

We are first time Oceania cruisers with bookings in June and September. We just went online on the first day we were allowed (45 days prior), with a list of our preferred dates and we did not have trouble booking one time for each of the 4 specialty restaurants.

Archived