Doing the baths on your own in Virgin Gorda/Tortola

Teodor

VG is a very easy island to drive, and Mahogany car rental is a great resource for a rental. But taxis are quite reasonable and the driver will work with you. You can even call him/her if you want more flexibility than a pre-planned pick-up.

Are you in port from 8 - 6? If so you could enjoy a nice day on VG with either option but it sounds like you would have a nore enjoyable experience by using a taxi.

I would still suggest Spring Bay for the snorkeling, a stop at the Baths after the main crowds, and then Mineshaft for their lunch and panoramic view, but that is our preference.

You'll find tons of info and suggestions on the Virgin Gorda forum on tripadvisor as well!

Enjoy your day exploring VG!

VG is a very easy island to drive, and Mahogany car rental is a great resource for a rental. But taxis are quite reasonable and the driver will work with you. You can even call him/her if you want more flexibility than a pre-planned pick-up.

Are you in port from 8 - 6? If so you could enjoy a nice day on VG with either option but it sounds like you would have a nore enjoyable experience by using a taxi.

I would still suggest Spring Bay for the snorkeling, a stop at the Baths after the main crowds, and then Mineshaft for their lunch and panoramic view, but that is our preference.

You'll find tons of info and suggestions on the Virgin Gorda forum on tripadvisor as well!

I read in another thread a post from you that mentioned walking from Spring Bay to the top of the Baths, is that where you can get a glimpse of Fallen Jerusalem?

When we visited the Baths on a previous cruise we climbed up a path after snorkeling at the Baths, there was an arch along the path and enormous cactus plants, would the top of the baths that you mention be where that path led to? I think there was a gazebo there and it was where the taxi picked us up.

I can't rememver the views from the Baths or the Top of the Baths but several of the other islands are visible from the Mineshaft Cafe and the Copper Mine including FJ.

Yes you can walk from the Top of the Baths (TOB) to SB, and there are two paths from TOB down to the Baths. No amenitied at Spring Bay for day visitors but a nice beach with snorkeling. You can get food/drinks and use restrooms at the TOB and there is a small pool there.

Would it be possible to get a taxi at Gun Creek? Our ship will be anchoring off The Bitter end Yacht Club and I understand that there is a free ferry between BItter End and Gun Creek.

Yes. That's perfect!

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/virgin-gorda-taxi-fares-rates.php#.WAlcPHT3af0

Don't mean to discount rusty button's advice, we haven't snorkeled at Savannah. Snorkeling the Baths is more a natural beauty experience, while perhaps Savannah and Spring Bay offer more marine life.

Also check into Mahoe Bay, there's a double reef system there.

The regular visitors who frequent the VG forum on TripAdvisor are very knowledgeable as well!

Edited by blue_water
Typos, typos, typos!

Don't mean to discount rusty button's advice, we haven't snorkeled at Savannah. Snorkeling the Baths is more a natural beauty experience, while perhaps Savannah and Spring Bay offer more marine life.

Also check into Mahoe Bay, there's a double reef system there.

The regular visitors who frequent the VG forum on TripAdvisor are very knowledgeable as well!

That's what you did though, and haven't been there [scratching my head]. Spring Bay is similar to the Baths, Mahoe Bay is the same reef as Savannah Bay, and Savannah Bay has a snorkel trail with signs. Mountain Point is also very good.

Are there any taxis that are available to flag down for a ride from the baths back to the ferry? We will work out the latest ferry we can take and be sure to have plans to return by then, but we may want to leave earlier so I don't really want to have return taxi pre-planned. Half of doing it on our own is so that the timing can be flexible.

Sorry! I thought that coscab was interested in Spring Bay because they wanted a similar experience as the Baths with less people, and also with access to the facilities at the Top. Not sure where I got that and your description of Savannah and the point may be a better option for them.

Sanger, there may be a driver standing by at the Top of the Baths but can't answer that with any certainty. It's hard to get the flexibility you want without renting a car. That's a good option if you have the time, Mahogany will meet you if they have a vehicle and the rates are reasonable. Or perhaps if there isn't a taxi at the top the staff there can call you one?

Edited by blue_water