FLL 10:45am flight home?

FrannyK

Sailing the Liberty Feb 7. Debarking Monday Feb 11 in Fort Lauderdale. We had free flights with Southwest to use so didn't have a choice on flight home which is at 10:45am. I've been reading all sorts of Liberty reviews that say debarking is a nightmare. I'm getting nervous about our early flight now. Not sure whether to do the self-debark (which everyone says is horrible on Liberty) or just show our flight tickets and get into the first group off the ship? What do you think?

Sailing the Liberty Feb 7. Debarking Monday Feb 11 in Fort Lauderdale. We had free flights with Southwest to use so didn't have a choice on flight home which is at 10:45am. I've been reading all sorts of Liberty reviews that say debarking is a nightmare. I'm getting nervous about our early flight now. Not sure whether to do the self-debark (which everyone says is horrible on Liberty) or just show our flight tickets and get into the first group off the ship? What do you think?

If possible, I'd self-disembark to give yourself the maximum amount of time. I believe that the earlier you get off, the shorter the baggage / custom line. We were called to leave at 8:45 am (#9 luggage tags) and were at our gate at 10:45am.

You'll never make it ... especially if its one of the days like today where there are EIGHT ships in port at the same time -- all clogging the port and then the airport with their passengers.

That was not the time to use free award tickets and book a morning flight home. :rolleyes:

We had a 10:25 am flight a couple of weeks ago. We did the self-disembark...worked a little too well, as we were at the airport 2 1/2 hours before our flight!

We lined up at about 7:15am and after a short wait, carried our bags off, grabbed a taxi and were at the airport at 8:00.

As you probably know, there are stairs and a long walk involved, so only do the self disembark if you are able to do so physically.

You'll never make it ... especially if its one of the days like today where there are EIGHT ships in port at the same time -- all clogging the port and then the airport with their passengers.

That was not the time to use free award tickets and book a morning flight home. :rolleyes:

There will not be 8 ships in port on a Monday.

I think a 10:45 flight is quite doable. Make sure you do your check-in while still on the ship. It has to be done at least one hour before flight time. Doing it ahead of time gives you extra time if things get delayed a bit.

There will not be 8 ships in port on a Monday.

I think a 10:45 flight is quite doable. Make sure you do your check-in while still on the ship. It has to be done at least one hour before flight time. Doing it ahead of time gives you extra time if things get delayed a bit.

Remember that song by En Vogue a few years back?

"Never gonna get it,

Never gonna get it,

Never gonna get it,

Never gonna get it,

Never gonna get it,

Never gonna get it,

Never gonna get it,

NEVER GET IT !!! "

We have a 10:45 flight from FLL on 12/16, so I'll let you know then how it works out. There will be many ships in port that Sunday. We haven't decided yet whether to do self carry off or be first of Diamond + called off. FLL is a close taxi ride away, and normally takes no more than 20 minutes from the port.

You can do it as long as the ship is not late or there is no problem with Customs. I got off the Caribbean Princess this morning and took a cab to the airport before 9:30am. I left the ship at about 8:15am and most of my time was getting through Customs (20 - 25 minutes) and getting to the cab. I'm sure that I was there before 9:00am.

Just off the Allure today we used the self debark. We were off the ship and thru customs before 7:00 am at the airport at 7:15. We had to wait 4 hours for our 11:10 am plane to leave.

Just off the Allure today we used the self debark. We were off the ship and thru customs before 7:00 am at the airport at 7:15. We had to wait 4 hours for our 11:10 am plane to leave.

OP's question was with regard to disembarking from Liberty, which arrives at port significantly later than Allure.

OP's question was with regard to disembarking from Liberty, which arrives at port significantly later than Allure.

Sorry clarea I was just showing an example. Unless I am missing something or you know something I don't but Liberty disembarks 45 minutes later than the Allure.

Sorry clarea I was just showing an example. Unless I am missing something or you know something I don't but Liberty disembarks 45 minutes later than the Allure.

I believe Allure arrives around 5am and Liberty arrives around 7am. Maybe it was an anomaly, but a week ago, the first guests started leaving Liberty around 8am. Liberty also does not get to use terminal 18 very much, which is much faster for passenger throughput.

Does Southwest participate in luggage valet program? if they do, I would highly recommend it. It was well worth the $30 per person. I used it when I flew US Airways last January debarking Liberty in Port Everglades. I was able to walk off the ship early and avoid the lines of people claiming luggage and walk straight up to a customs agent. It was also much easier to get a cab at the port because I didn't need a van or suv for my party due to the lack of baggage. I was apprehensive about my luggage but it was the first two pieces that rolled off the carousel at my final destination.

I too like to live dangerously... I never am at the airport more than 30 mins before my flight leaves on a regular basis. I hate sitting at the gate. I've done well when I walk up to the gate and they're calling my group and I can walk right on.

All that being said FLL is a different beast.

The clearing customs and cab to the airport doesn't worry me, but that airport is chaotic on weekends. (I don't know which day you're sailing) but I find myself arriving early at FLL, it's just too many people, many who don't travel a lot and clog up security etc.

If the tickets are done. bite your lip and give it a whirl I bet you'll be waiting at the gate.

Next time if you can help it. 11am would probably be my magic number to start at.

Does Southwest participate in luggage valet program? if they do, I would highly recommend it. It was well worth the $30 per person. I used it when I flew US Airways last January debarking Liberty in Port Everglades. I was able to walk off the ship early and avoid the lines of people claiming luggage and walk straight up to a customs agent. It was also much easier to get a cab at the port because I didn't need a van or suv for my party due to the lack of baggage. I was apprehensive about my luggage but it was the first two pieces that rolled off the carousel at my final destination.

Yes Southwest participates in Luggage Valet, but you can only use if your flight is after 11:30 am for FLL. Great program love walking off the ship and hoping into a cab with carry-on only.

Are you checking bags with Southwest? Depending on how early you get there, the lines at the Southwest counter can be horrible (then into the horrible security lines). You should be able to do it, but don't take anything for granted (meaning, do everything in your power to get off the ship as early as possible ... I see a 2 hour wait at the airport as a win here).

I don't get why everyone is telling the OP how chaotic Port Everglades and FLL are on the weekend when his question is about arriving back at port on a Monday.

Thank you Ocean Boy. I'm hoping debarking on a Monday will make a positive difference? Does anyone have experience debarking from Liberty on a Monday?

Right now I'm thinking we better do self debark to give ourselves any extra time we can get. We've never done self-debark before, we always thought it looked like a giant mess so we would get off in the first called color instead. We've had 11:30 flights a few times and never had a problem but 10:45 IS a bit frightening to me considering all the nightmare Liberty debarkation stories I have read.

We've never used the luggage service before either, although I would welcome it this time. A poster informed that a Southwest flight has to be after 11:30am in order to use it so that is unfortunate for us.

Archived