Help with Dolphin Swim: Cozumel vs. Ocho Rios?

Since we miss the reopening (6/30) of the Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel by a few days, we were thinking of the Dolphin Cove Swim in Jamaica.

Anyone done this in Ocho Rios? My DH is crazy about getting up close and personal, and I'll probrably book it, but any input is appreciated!

We did the Dolphin Encounter swim & Dunn's river falls last September in Ochos Rios. We had an awesome time. You are in deep water w/ a life preserver with a group of 8 or 10 people. You get to touch and hold and pose with the dolphin for pictures and a kiss. You don't actually get pulled by their fins or anything. But the four of us had a great time and really enjoyed the personal experience. And I love the Photo of my husband kissing the dolphins! You can't bring your own camera into the water though. Dunn's river falls was great too and then they dropped us off wherever we wanted to go shopping!

Our family did the Cozomel one and it has been one of my childrens most memrable experiences. Ther were 8 in the group and we were all in the deep water, wearing life jackets, with the dolphins for free swim time. THen they had the dolphins do various tricks, some with us, some not. Probably the best ones were when you held onto their dorsal fins and they pulled you and then another time you floated on your stomach and they pushed you from behind. You get going so fast that you come partly out of the water. It was great.

We just did the dolphin discovery at Playa del Carmen. It's actually in Puerto Aventuras which is only about a 20 minute cabnin ride from the pier in PDC. (it's the same facility that RCCL uses on both its Cozumel and PDC excusrsions). We booked it on our own though.

PDC is somewhat close to Cozumel so it might be worhtwhile.

The Dolphin Discovery was really great and well worth it. The setting is beautiful as well and we even had lunch at a great outdoor cafe in the complex while the dolphin trainers worked with the dolphins behind us.

Brad

You could get some good pictures of the dolphins swimming and doing tricks, we even have some good video footage. It really depends where in the water your group is! Nothing like the close up shots, the dolphin poses with you I think the only way to get that quality is to buy them.

We did the Dolphin Encounter swim & Dunn's river falls last September in Ochos Rios. We had an awesome time. You are in deep water w/ a life preserver with a group of 8 or 10 people. You get to touch and hold and pose with the dolphin for pictures and a kiss. You don't actually get pulled by their fins or anything. But the four of us had a great time and really enjoyed the personal experience. And I love the Photo of my husband kissing the dolphins! You can't bring your own camera into the water though. Dunn's river falls was great too and then they dropped us off wherever we wanted to go shopping!

We just did the same trip in April- WOW WOW WOW is all i can say- i loved the time w/ the dolphin- lots of petting and learning cool facts about their bodies and behavior- the trainers were way fun, and the cove area itself is a real trip- do the 'dead' macaw on the head thing- you will not be sorry- but bring $$ to tip... then DRF is almost right across the street- we had a great time climbing up- even thu it was very crowded- it was a blast- the best pic of the whole trip was taken by the ships phto guy of us in the falls!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is 6. So may 5year and 11 months son is sad - but hey ho we just need to come back next year. We have booked fro the encounter and no swim in Ochio Rios. Has any one climbed Dunns RIver Falls with an active 6 year old??

Archived