Cruise Passenger Assaulted on Holland America Cruise Ship

LauraS

Sad to see this happen on any ship to anyone on a cruise or elsewhere:( Thank You Laura for this news. I pray for the passenger and her family and friends.

Such a sad thing to see happen.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I'm glad to see that the criminal is being turned over to authorities and that the FBI is involved.

I also think that making this thread sticky is inappropriate. Why should this title be the first thing people see on the HAL board permanently?

Rumor floating around the ship, another incident happened last night.

No where does it say that the lady was nude at the time of the incident. Most of us that travel on these cruises are nude just during the day time around the deck, and clothed during the evening.

Perhaps some CC folks need to take a deep breath. What we find commendable is that HAL apparently took the appropriate action an notified the shore-side authorities. This is not always the case on cruise lines. As to what actually happened, that would be pure speculation on our part (or anyone else here on CC). One reason to notify the proper authorities is that they can conduct a full investigation and deal with the situation.

Hank

ahem, this alleged perpetrator looks more guilty than you want believe, because the Captain put it writing about this "incident" in an apologetic memo to all the Cabins during the cruise and how distressed that he and the rest of the crew are about the incident and that this crew member will be kept in isolation until Florida !

We were surprised to get the memo and assumed that he cleared it Holland America Corporate before he sent the memo which would be plaintiff attorney's delight !!

The memo also asked passengers to contact his office in case of their distress too.

Regardless of how big a font you use, this alleged incident that you keep referring to was judged by the Captain of the Vessel.

How many times have you received a letter of regret from the Captain about a violent incident attributed to a crew-member in every Cabin ?

I was happy HAL was upfront about it. There were a lot of rumors about it on the ship and I don't want to repeat it. I find it weird that so many of you are so defensive about HAL, even though the cruise line has acted appropriately !

I've been a guest entertainer on a number of ships and we are considered crew for technical reasons. It could have been the likes of me in that room but not service crew. They know better.

Mr Astro,

I'm thinking your on this.

We don't who by what... and when.

Remember.... when have you ever had a cabin steward enter a cabin? Mostly a waiter with bringing a breakfast tray? In and out in one second. Not likely to create a problem. Cleaning the cabin? Door is always open and the stewards working in pairs. Again not likely.

I don't have any information of anything... it could be anyone. Remember, innocent until found gulity.

The article itself is very vague.

All it says was that a female passenger was assaulted by a crew member in her cabin.

Doesn't say if it was a sexual assault or not, who exactly was the crew member (steward ,waiter, maintenence man , etc) or why he was in the passengers cabin in the first place.

I am not placing blame on anyone. I don't pretend to know exactly what happened . But after being a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 30 years , I know the actual story can be way more complex than what is first reported.

It would appear to me that HAL could have easily kept this close to the vest and not made any sort of press release to anyone. Since the investigation is ongoing one has to wonder why did HAL release their statement? Again, I think this is pertinent information for all cruisers to have access to, I just hope that the cruising public is told the follow up and determination of facts in this case.

We were on the cruise. We learnt about this incident when we DID receive a letter of regret from HAL Captain about an incident on Jan 13th night and that the crew member has been apprehended. The letter stated HAL and the Crew are saddened and to contact him/office for further reassurance.

I am going by the Captain's letter it is the Ship's crew; but somehow all you HAL apologists are coming out of the woodwork and claiming the Charter group could have brought their "own" entertainment crew, etc. Btw, we had the same "entertainment" as in other HAL cruises.

I commend the HAL's ship staff, for taking this issue seriously and for cordoning and moving passengers out of 14 Cabins elsewhere on the Ship.

When I saw the headline, I was upset.

When I saw that it was on the Nieuw Amsterdam (which I was on three months ago) I was astounded.

When I saw the picture and realized it was our assigned waiter who was nothing but respectful, kind, and a great person to me and my family, I was creeped out beyond belief.

Very scary. I know that this sort of thing could happen to anyone, anywhere, but the fact that it happens on a cruise ship which is out in the middle of the ocean and with so many people having access to your cabin... and knowing that someone who you saw every day could have snapped and done this to us if we happened to say the wrong thing... wow. I don't know what to say right now.

Had nothing to do with being a 'nude cruise' as many ignorant comments have stated. Had to do with her 'disrespecting his parents'.

And here I thought crazy stupid stuff like this happened with kids or gangsters trying to keep their rep. smh

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-holland-america-cruise-rape-overboard-20140218,0,1376094,full.story

Using the simple deadbolt available on all HAL staterooms would have prevented this.

Negative. Perhaps you did not read the whole story. He snuck into the room when she was not there and waited for her. The dead bolt plays no factor in this case.

A separate thread on this topic has been closed. That thread can be read here: subscribed.gifViolence on HAL Ships

Another separate thread on this topic has been closed. That thread can be found here: subscribed.gifWoman Attacked/Raped On Nieuw Amsterdam

There's a lot of good info in those threads. Can you combine them into this sticky?

Of course, this incident is being discussed all over CC and internet in general, and of course, I wanted to add my voice and say that I hope very much for the victim's full recovery and I am so saddened to hear of it.

I do believe, after reading all the news reports, that this man was just plain evil, and predisposed culturally to hatred toward women. He was not "mentally ill" as some have proposed. The vast majority of mentally ill people are not violent and couldn't possibly premeditate something like this, to this extent. I offer, for your perusal and consideration two links:

1. On the stigma of the mentally ill and their disinclination toward violence:

http://promoteacceptance.samhsa.gov/publications/facts.aspx?printid=1

2. On the cultural acceptance of violence against women in Asia, and Indonesia in particular, a report from the United Nations task force:

http://unwomen-asiapacific.org/docs/WhyDoSomeMenUseViolenceAgainstWomen_P4P_Report.pdf

Like all of you, I am stunned, shocked and horrified by this news. But it is up to us as a global community to try and learn to understand why, how these things happen so that we can prevent them in the future.

In this case, this woman is not at fault and did nothing wrong. She ran across a guy who was determined to commit crimes against her, and she fought like he**, which of course is to her credit, but it does not mean that women who choose NOT to fight are in any way culpable for what has happened to them.

I encourage all people on CC to do their own research and form their own opinions but I also hope that everyone will also keep in mind the various preconceived notions that all of us carry on board with us.

So sad to read this. Nude cruise or not, this is just awful news to hear about a HAL cruise passenger.

http://nydn.us/1ja9txG

This was not a nude cruise. The passenger allegedly sweared at the guy when he knocked on her door for a delivery. He got angry, used a master key to enter her cabin while she was out, waited on her balcony for her to come back, and assaulted her when she entered her cabin. Too bad he didn't jump overboard!