Mobility Scooter for Cruise

AussiMax

Hi

I am thinking of buying small travel foldable mobility scooter from this site. http://ilsau.com.au/product/pride-s19-folding-mobility-scooter/. I have contact them and they informed me I can use this in cruise ship, but I am not sure there giving me correct information. Is anyone use mobility scooter in the cruise ship?

Where are you cruising, and what line? Most lines will accommodate scooters, but you must be able to store the scooter in your cabin, not in the passageway. If you are booking an accessible cabin, there should be no problem, but if not, sometimes you have to remove armrests, etc, to get through a standard door. Best to check with the special needs department of the line you are cruising.

Is this scooter just for the cruise? If so, many cruise lines partner with companies to provide rentals that will be waiting for you at your cabin, and you just leave it onboard when you leave.

In addition to what Chengkp75 previously posted entrance doors on standard non-accessible cabins are on average 23" wide door frame to door frame on most cruise ships. 2(two) inches has than be deducted for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to the wall . Therefore the total clearance is approximately 20" . The scooter cannot be any wider than 20" if you have not booked an accessible cabin.

My family will be cruising on the Carnival Magic in late November. I am disabled, and I'm also considering using a scooter for the cruise. I'm going to try to rent one so there won't be a space issue in the car when we drive to Galveston. I'm just not sure how to find out where to rent scooters.

If you need the scooter for every day issues, then buying is a great idea. If it is just for the cruise, however, you might want to rent one instead. I just wish I could tell you where to rent one. LOL!

- Cindy

My family will be cruising on the Carnival Magic in late November. I am disabled, and I'm also considering using a scooter for the cruise. I'm going to try to rent one so there won't be a space issue in the car when we drive to Galveston. I'm just not sure how to find out where to rent scooters.

If you need the scooter for every day issues, then buying is a great idea. If it is just for the cruise, however, you might want to rent one instead. I just wish I could tell you where to rent one. LOL!

- Cindy

Carnival Cruise has 2 approved rental providers that you are allowed to use. Here are the links :

http://www.carevacations.com

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

Prior to our last cruise we bought a similar scooter, the Solax Mobie, for DH. Even though he only needs a scooter when we travel we are SO glad we bought a folding scooter. This was MUCH easier to store in our cabin rather than the full-size scooters that are usually rented. We would need a HC cabin just for the extra space to store it.

Our prior cruise last fall we did notice a passenger who had a rental folding scooter. IIRC it was the model you are considering. She didn't request a folding scooter from the rental company (Care Vacations???) but was very happy with it. A friend who was renting a scooter a few months back did try to reserve a folding scooter from them, but they didn't have them available at her departure port.

We went for the Solax Mobie because DH is pretty tall. His long legs fit better on it. In researching online we noticed that the folding scooters were demonstrated by rather petite women. Dh is on the thin side, but at about 2m, petite isn't an appropriate description.

Our folding scooter was easy to get on/off the ship at ports. It also worked well on tours as it easily fit in the van on private tours and even under the bus on a ship's tour. You can't say that about the full-size rentals.

Even with only needing it on cruises, buying was the right choice for us. After only a few cruises it will have paid for itself in saved rental fees - and we have it should a need arise while home.

Edited by Mary Ellen

• 2 weeks later...
Can you check in and board with a scooter? Might seem like a silly question but this is my first time doing this......

No problem at all on most cruise lines. Only on the new Viking Ocean cruise line are they not willing to have passengers use scooters on board.

I use a scooter that does not fold, but breaks down into 4 small parts. It is considered a travel scooter so it is not one of those big bulky ones. It is a Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus. I have used it most everywhere with no real issues. It might be another one to look at.

It is a Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus. I have used it most everywhere with no real issues. It might be another one to look at.

I am somewhat mobile in that I can probably walk around the ship using a standard walker. What gives me problem is inability to walk long distances like shore excursions.

What has been your experiences using the Traveler Plus on shore?

Thanks,

Tom

It would probably depend on where you are at. I have not used mine for shore excursions ( I choose ones within my ability to walk or that is mostly riding ones). I can report though that I have used mine on a lot of various conditions with good success. I just had to pay attention to clearance issues.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you check in and board with a scooter? Might seem like a silly question but this is my first time doing this......

My DH and I both walk with a cane (I have post-polio and he has severe back arthritis). I own a small scooter that can be taken apart (4 small parts). I typically use my scooter at the airport, I can take it all the way to the plane with no issues. Also, I use it at all the cruise terminal. We haven't had any issues about taking my scooter everywhere/anywhere. It is nice to see how accommodating everyone is.

I am somewhat mobile in that I can probably walk around the ship using a standard walker. What gives me problem is inability to walk long distances like shore excursions.

What has been your experiences using the Traveler Plus on shore?

Thanks,

Tom

On occasions, we have taken my scooter off the ship, usually when we're doing our own thing and as long as there's a cab driver who doesn't mind accommodating, we have no issues getting around town with it. We haven't try using it for a shore excursion involving other passengers because we don't want to burden others so, we get around with our canes as best as we can and we always have a terrific time!!

We are so blessed to have our scooter, it really adds A LOT of quality to our travel experiences, we just try and mind others around us so not to burden anyone:)

Hope this helps and hope you will get comfortable enough to include a mobility scooter in your next travel fun!!

Edited by sippin-time

I have a pride go-go travel scooter that has been on several cruises. While I would recommend an handicapped cabin, for more space to store the scooter, I have stayed in a regular cabin with mine (3 people in cabin). Getting it in the doorway was a tight fit, and you have to be perfectly lined up, but it was possible (Carnival Ecstasy). As for taking it off of the ship for shore excursions there seems to be some conflicting information, but this is my experience. At regular ports, it is no problem, just drive right off. Tendered ports, where you have to transfer to a small boat and be transported to the port, are a little more difficult, I am able to walk and can climb into the tender with assistance, just need a little help balancing on the steps, so when we need to take a tender I ride down to the entrance, then my trusty pit crew aka my traveling companions and I break down the scooter into smaller parts, each grab a piece and board the tender. (Takes less then five minutes with a little practice). Keep in mind that the crew will probably not be able to help with the loading of the scooter, so if you are traveling alone, or are unable to load the scooter yourself you may be denied boarding on the tender. There have been times that when they see my scooter in the line up for the tender, they have tried to tell me that it is not allowed, to that I say be polite, but presistant, if you have the help to load it, go for it. I have never been denied taking it off of the ship in any port in 5 different cruises. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps.

I have a pride go-go travel scooter that has been on several cruises. While I would recommend an handicapped cabin, for more space to store the scooter, I have stayed in a regular cabin with mine (3 people in cabin). Getting it in the doorway was a tight fit, and you have to be perfectly lined up, but it was possible (Carnival Ecstasy). As for taking it off of the ship for shore excursions there seems to be some conflicting information, but this is my experience. At regular ports, it is no problem, just drive right off. Tendered ports, where you have to transfer to a small boat and be transported to the port, are a little more difficult, I am able to walk and can climb into the tender with assistance, just need a little help balancing on the steps, so when we need to take a tender I ride down to the entrance, then my trusty pit crew aka my traveling companions and I break down the scooter into smaller parts, each grab a piece and board the tender. (Takes less then five minutes with a little practice). Keep in mind that the crew will probably not be able to help with the loading of the scooter, so if you are traveling alone, or are unable to load the scooter yourself you may be denied boarding on the tender. There have been times that when they see my scooter in the line up for the tender, they have tried to tell me that it is not allowed, to that I say be polite, but presistant, if you have the help to load it, go for it. I have never been denied taking it off of the ship in any port in 5 different cruises. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps.

Good point about getting your scooter to fit in a standard stateroom. Unfortunately, it works only on certain ships though.

We've taken my scooter off the ship on tender ports before, not too often cause it can be a hassle at times. My DH has taken my scooter apart and we were able to get off but most of the time, the ship crew don't want the responsibility or maybe the liability of helping us take our scooter apart and that's all right. We are grateful we have an option to use our canes if need be[emoji4]

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk