Working out while on a Cruise

For every cruise I have been on I have prepared basically the same way. Hit the treadmill, a little weights, and lose about 15 pounds during the 3 months prior to the cruise. Every time I have gotten on a ship I have had the grandest intentions to not let the food and alcohol take me down. I always say I am going to go to the gym every morning...but I never do :rolleyes: I have NEVER set foot in any of the gym. So just wondering...

Anybody here actually stuck with it and worked out while at sea? If so, wanna be my trainer?:D

It's easier than you think, especially if you're an early riser. I'm usually in the gym by 7:15 AM and out by 8:15 AM, with plenty of time remaining to undo all of my hard work in the Windjammer before hitting the ports. On sea days, it's even easier. The gyms do sometimes get very crowded by 9:00 AM, so plan accordingly.

Les

For every cruise I have been on I have prepared basically the same way. Hit the treadmill, a little weights, and lose about 15 pounds during the 3 months prior to the cruise. Every time I have gotten on a ship I have had the grandest intentions to not let the food and alcohol take me down. I always say I am going to go to the gym every morning...but I never do :rolleyes: I have NEVER set foot in any of the gym. So just wondering...

Anybody here actually stuck with it and worked out while at sea? If so, wanna be my trainer?:D

I aim for 5 out of 7 mornings!

I still continue my supplements and routine, just add a little food and a lot of alcohol to the mix :rolleyes:.

I'm usually there when the gym opens in the morning, before it gets crowded and am out by 8:00 or 8:30. I do cardio, freeweights, abs, stretch, and use the steam room. Shower, get breakfast, and on sea days, go early to the pool or solarium for the rest of the day!

Why would I want to do that? :D

We take the stairs. If you come back from a shore excursion go up a ways then walk from the aft to the bow (or vice versa) then go up that set of stairs. It is a workout! Going to the pool deck/WJ take the stairs. Going to dinner, take the stairs...you may not lose weight but at least you are working some of those muscles.

I was always good when I was accustom to working out in the morning. I've since switched to evenings with the DW and the last cruise I just couldn't bring myself to go in the morning and evenings were out. First workout post cruise hurt bad. It's amazing what to much food an alcohol and a week without a workout can do to the human body.:(

I always make a point to check out the fitness area at the beginning of each cruise and so far that has been the only visit I have made!

However this May I will be embarking on the longest cruise I have ever done, 15 days, and being as I am already overweight and love food I know that this time I must actually use the facilities.

I just got off the Jewel OTS five days ago. For the first time I made it to the elipticals three early mornings (on a five day cruise). It didn't help much with the cruise weight gain, I still put on seven pounds. But I do think it's kept my metabolisim a little higher and the weight is coming off more quickly now.

I agree, take the stairs(on Oasis we lost weight going up and down the stairs), we also work out 3-4x during the week. Right before lunch is a great time too, too many people eating, swimming, laying out...so crowded why not go to the gym, it is empty then.

We're not morning people, so we don't visit the gym in the morning. We have breakfast, then walk for 3 miles, usually around the promenade deck. After lunch settles we hit the gym, and it's usually not crowded at all.

I also have my workouts on my iPhone so, if I don't need weights for a particular one, I work out in the cabin.

We take the stairs religiously unless I'm in high heels or if it means walking from Deck 1 to Deck 10 nonstop. Then we'll walk a few flights and ride the elevator for a few. Or stop off a lounge along the way...:D

I have been working out for 2 months (so far) pre-cruise so I have to MAKE myself go to the gym. There is no way I can do all that eating and drinking that I don't normally do and not work out...I hour a day is not going to kill me and taking the stairs where ever I go is not going to kill me either, so unlike all other cruises I will be going to the gym and working my butt off so I won't feel guilty for eating a few extra bites or having a lot more to drink that I would normally. :eek: I have 19 more days, yahooooooo!!:D

I remember to grab a pear/apple/banana the night before from the windjammerd to eat before working out. Otherwise, I join the 7am stretch class and move onto the cardio and weights. Running the stairs is my workout bonus.

I have always worked out on every cruise we have been on. I have even done my rehab after knee surgery on a cruise ship. Not only is it a great way to start the day, but it gives me extra energy to do more throughout the day. Taking the stairs is also a must, then there is no guilt in having dessert with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

DH and I are early to bed early to rise people. We have a routine that we order room service of coffee and pastry at be delivered at 7. We are usually up for an hour by then. We call this our pre-breakfast.

After that, hit the gym or the running track (love the Oasis track) for an hour. Then it's off to our real breakfast. We call it paying it forward.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1550586

Denise did, and published her account for all to read!

We always work out on cruises, at least 4-5 days on a 7 night cruise. The other days we are doing active shore excursions. And we always take the stairs. We get up early, do our work out (we modify it to be shorter than at home), go have breakfast, then get ready to take on the rest of the day. I do not tell myself no on cruises and just try to limit food portions but I do not deprive myself. I usually come home no heavier than when I left.

I haven't used the gym, but I do try to walk around every deck starting at the lowest deck and working my way up. I get to see a lot of interesting art, and on the Freedom class, it's about a 5 mile walking tour, plus some stairs for extra cardio training. I also do the walking/jogging track, rock climbing ect. The main thing is that I never, ever take the elevator. It's always the stairs to get around, and this burns a few extra calories.

My lovely wife-to-be and I are both PE Teachers. We exercise regularly, so have every intention of continuing to exercise while on board. I've cruised twice before and never set foot in the gym, and our honeymoon cruise in October will be her first cruise. I did say we have every intention of exercising, but let’s just see what happens.

On most cruises, DH and I try to walk the track regularly -- well, at least on sea days. We also try to take the stairs, rather than the elevator, whenever possible. I have to admit that DH is better about this than I am -- but he's usually wearing more practical shoes, too! :rolleyes:

My resolution for our next cruise is to get up to the gym every morning, grab a yoga mat -- and find a quiet corner to do my daily yoga practice. :cool:

Archived