Value of extensions vs cruise only

Wendy The Wanderer

I'm studying several itineraries on several lines, and I'm wondering if doing cruise-only would be better for us, and more economical than including standard land extensions in the price. Thinking about Prague, for instance, or Budapest.

Yes, it would be nice to have everything taken care of, but we like to be independent when we're in a city, so we would not miss having a city tour, for example.

Making our own itinerary from Prague, to say Nuremberg, might be a bit fraught, but I'm betting not very much. I'm sure there are good trains.

Paying $1380 for a 3-night stay in Prague, plus transfers, for both of us, seems excessive. I can see that hotels in Prague are expensive, but we don't mind 3-star, and definitely prefer to avoid large, tourist-oriented hotels where they would be likely to put us.

Does anyone know if you can buy transfers if you're doing cruise-only (but staying in the same pre-cruise city, say?)

Just trying to get my head around this.

99% of the time, you can do your own booking for pre/post cruise stays a lot cheaper than the cruise lines want. As for the transfers, the one time I looked into it with Viking (in Paris), they wanted $60 per person each way ($240 total!!). I found a private car for $70 each way for both of us. Saved us $100.

Cheers,

We went with AMA Waterways, and like you we like to explore on our own. Booking through Priceline, we got the Intercontinental in Budapest, which was conveniently located on the Danube. We did a walking tour, took the trams everywhere, and had a wonderful time.

AMA offered an option to book the bus trip from Nuremberg to Prague. I think it was $90 a person, but it was worth it to have everything arranged. In addition we had a wonderful Czech guide on the bus, who told us about the history of the Czech Republic. We had a stop at Karlovy Vary, which was simply beautiful. There was a whole bus of others who chose to travel independently.

When we reached Prague, the bus only dropped people at a couple of hotels. This time we had reservations at the Hilton, not the one in Old Town, the center of things, but easily accessible by subway once we learned our way around. It was harder to find people speaking English, but we managed.

The river cruise was an incredible experience, and I found the tours so interesting. All in all it was a great trip, and I can't wait to go again!

We have been on 15 river cruises--never taken the pre or post extension. They charge per person and you can usually find a lovely hotel and arrange private tours for much less. If you are an independent traveller, research and use public transportation. Would highly recommend the Marriott Millenium Apartments in Budapest, located on a side street between Vaci Utca and the river--wonderful bakery across the street and a great restaurant a few doors down. In Prague, we have used Hilton points and stayed at the one near the old Town Square--wonderful French restaurant nearby called Le Gare (no train station near). Enjoy. Pat

We booked a great hotel in Old Town Prague for 3 nights for 98E per night including breakfast. It is the Barcelo Old Town and we discovered last visit while wandering the neighborhood. Prague has some lovely hotels in the center at great prices.

Express bus tickets were running about 80E per person in December, non stop to or from Nuremberg and arriving at the main station. The train service is awful as the tracks in the Czech Republic are old and in disrepair.

We had an awesome personal guide in Prague for 30USD per hour.

Trams are easy and convenient.

And we dined very well for great prices.

No way I would do the add on from the cruise line.

This year we are on AMA Budapest to Prague and booked pre and post days on our own. We chose the Marriott Executive Apartments in BUD for 116 E per night for a 2 BR/2BA suite of almost 900 sq ft and the Barcelo in Prague as we loved the hotel and location.

It has also been our experience that DIY can save a lot of money. We stayed at a hotel in Amsterdam through hotels.com. The total costs including transfers, admissions, canal boat rides, etc, were about a third of what the cruise wanted.

There are people who are reluctant to DIY, they have the security of a seamless trip, and feel it is worth the extra expense.

I am quite surprised by the recommendations of the Barcelo in Prague. Unless I am looking at the wrong hotel or missing something, it appears to be an impersonal large conference hotel in a part of the city that it not within walking distance to anything of interest. We are looking for a hotel in Prague from which we can walk to some of the key sites, such as the Old Town, the Charles Bridge, etc., rather than having to take the metro for 15 or 20 minutes to those sites, as is indicated on the website for the Barcelo Hotel. Any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers, Fred

I am quite surprised by the recommendations of the Barcelo in Prague. Unless I am looking at the wrong hotel or missing something, it appears to be an impersonal large conference hotel in a part of the city that it not within walking distance to anything of interest. We are looking for a hotel in Prague from which we can walk to some of the key sites, such as the Old Town, the Charles Bridge, etc., rather than having to take the metro for 15 or 20 minutes to those sites, as is indicated on the website for the Barcelo Hotel. Any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers, Fred

There are two Barcelo Hotels in Prague as there are two Hiltons.

Barcelo Old Town Praha is a small. boutique hotel in the center. We visited one afternoon for a coffee and checked out rooms. It is lovely and reviews on Trip Advisor are uniformly excellent.

If you DIY you should be aware that the cruise company (eg. Viking) travel insurance may not cover that part of your trip so you may be better served by getting insurance from a different source. At least check carefully with the cruise line

We booked our hotels in Amsterdam and Paris through Priceline for $107 American a night. If you go on betterbidding and biddingfortravel, you can usual find out which hotels are being bid for. We were really happy to save that kind of money. I'll let you know when I get back how they worked out. I did book the train from Metz to Paris with Avalon. The cruise ends in Remich and then there is a train to Paris, it just seemed easier to be able to have them transfer our luggage etc and us get to the train on the bus rather than a taxi. The cost was reasonable.

We booked our hotels in Amsterdam and Paris through Priceline for $107 American a night. If you go on betterbidding and biddingfortravel, you can usual find out which hotels are being bid for. We were really happy to save that kind of money. I'll let you know when I get back how they worked out. I did book the train from Metz to Paris with Avalon. The cruise ends in Remich and then there is a train to Paris, it just seemed easier to be able to have them transfer our luggage etc and us get to the train on the bus rather than a taxi. The cost was reasonable.

I have often used Priceline in Europe as well as the US and have always been very pleased as well as saved a lot of $$$. Research is key.

Last year we booked a 5 star in Amsterdam for 132 USD per night with taxes and it was very nice. I have also used them in London, Paris, and various cities in Germany.

We started in Remich last year and found it to be delightful. We flew into Brussels and took the train to Luxembourg where we overnighted. The next day we took the public bus to Remich. Our friends had been in Paris for a few days prior and took the fast train to meet us in Luxembourg. It was all easy and inexpensive.

What hotels did you get in Amsterdam and Paris? We ended up with the NH Barbizon Palace and the Concord de Lafayette. Got the 5 star we didn't want despite budding on a 4, they 'upped' us. Mixed reviews on trip advisor, but for $107 I'm sure they will be fine!

Caviargal/Stretch - I wanted to thank you both for info on tour guides in Prague. We booked a tour with Andrea. Both her and Jana were very nice and replied back to me (Andrea replied a little sooner that is why I went with her). In fact I am passing Jana's info on to someone else on the cruise looking for a guide.

Thanks Again!

What hotels did you get in Amsterdam and Paris? We ended up with the NH Barbizon Palace and the Concord de Lafayette. Got the 5 star we didn't want despite budding on a 4, they 'upped' us. Mixed reviews on trip advisor, but for $107 I'm sure they will be fine!

We got the Bilderberg Garden Hotel in December. It was quiet and nice and out of the fray that is the center. We enjoyed the area so much more than the busier areas in the very center where we had previously visited. I have to say that Amsterdam was not what we expected but the location of the Bilderberg made it a nice trip.

In Paris I most recently won the Le Meridien Montparnesse - this was a few years ago. It is large and convention like but for 100 USD per night it was just fine. I also won the Novotel Eiffel Tower once and the Hilton Eiffel Tower once. The Hilton was the best of the bunch but for that price, all were more than adequate.

I am happy to save the money by using Priceline. Over the years I have had good results in Venice, London, Vienna and more - all expensive cities with overpriced hotels. I'd rather spend my savings on food and drink. :)

In BUD we stayed at the Opera Garden Hotel. It is a relatively new place with free internet, air conditioning, fully equipped kitchen with stove top, microwave and fridge, free great breakfast, non smoking property, great staff, near subway line and great sidewalk cafes. We had leftovers from some of our meals and the kitchen came in handy.

The hotel was on a pedestrianized street..no noise. There was a reasonably priced quick laundry that we used before starting the cruise.

This boutique hotel has high ratings on Trip Advisor. I am sometimes afraid of priceline as I might get a smoky place or beds that will not work. We got everything we requested and were able to check in early. We were sad to leave.

In Prague we stayed at the Unitas Hotel.. another great choice. You have a great time!

Archived