Delta fleet

brian1

Hi,we are flying LHR-SEA on the 1st Sept and I was googling the fleet.It seems our 767 300 wl is probably over 20 years old.Im thinking now do we bring our own bits of string and chewing gum or is this the norm in the industry,cheers,Brian.

While you are Googling, you can check out the schedules for aircraft servicing, as well as the breakdown rate. You will see FAR more maintenance is done on that aircraft than you would ever consider on your car.

You will also see how longevity is considered for aircraft frames. It is not in years, necessarily, but in "cycles"- or take offs, landing and pressurizations of the airframe. Long haul airframes generally fly longer, and do fewer take off and landings, (and pressuring of the frame) which are the hardest on the frame, as opposed to short haul aircraft. Yes, 20 years is getting old, but almost all of the 747s (which I just flew LHR-SFO yesterday, on UA)are pushing 20 or more years as well. Many planes will fly much longer in service for secondary owners who don't need to meet all the maintenance requirements.

Lastly, while searching, simply do a search on crashes for the 767. It is a small number. Very small.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I wouldn't worry....Boeing makes some pretty good planes. Their B-52's (Yes I know it an air force bomber) are all over 50 years old and there are no plans to retire them anytime in the near future. ;)
Yeah,but theyve got 8 engines lol.Id rather have a nice new shiny one like the Virgin 787 Im going home on from Miami.You sound like George Kennedy talking about the 707 in that old airplane film lol,cheers,Brian.

Yeah,but theyve got 8 engines lol.Id rather have a nice new shiny one like the Virgin 787 Im going home on from Miami.You sound like George Kennedy talking about the 707 in that old airplane film lol,cheers,Brian.

I live 5 minutes from where those shinny new 787's are built. I get to see lots of them as they park then right next to the road when they are finishing them. There were 2 for Air China and a couple I didn't know they other day parked next to the fence. :D

You would rather see these type of AC on long hauls than 737 on short haul that have more cycles every take off and landing puts a lot more strain on the aircraft especially flaps, landing gear and every other components. The airframe and contacts and decontracts with pressurization.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's the cycles, not the age. Aloha did lots of short hops through the Hawaiian islands. Here's one of their 737s that went from being a sedan to a convertible.

hawaii803310357V2_b.jpg

Lots was learned from this experience, and aircraft maintenance is for the better.

Problem with any "shiny new" complex machine is that there are still bugs to be worked out.

Well maintained aircraft have astonishingly long lives. Consider the venerable DC-3, still flying passengers more than 70 years after the last one was built.

Id rather have a nice new shiny one like the Virgin 787 Im going home on from Miami.
You mean one of those whose batteries kept on developing nearly-uncontrollable fires, sometimes in mid-flight, so worryingly so that the entire worldwide fleet of 787s had to be grounded for months?

Give me old, solid, reliable and well-maintained any day.

Several years ago I was riding in the jumpseat of a DC-9. The seat is in the doorway of the cockpit, and right by my shoulder was the little metal plaque with the manufacturing information. The plane and I were the same age.

I like the 767 for long flights. As a solo traveler, it's nice having just the two seats on the outside. If I'm at the window, I'm not too closed in, and on the aisle, only one person needs to climb over me.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

Several years ago I was riding in the jumpseat of a DC-9. The seat is in the doorway of the cockpit, and right by my shoulder was the little metal plaque with the manufacturing information. The plane and I were the same age.

I like the 767 for long flights. As a solo traveler, it's nice having just the two seats on the outside. If I'm at the window, I'm not too closed in, and on the aisle, only one person needs to climb over me.

Hi,I cant believe that you dont look a day over 21 lol.We are in those os seats in c+ so will chill out after a few vodkas if they are as generous as BA.Quite a few years ago we flew with Thomas Cook from LGW to Cuba in a fairly newish 767.It was in a storm at LGW and even the tug pushing away had its windshield blown out and that delayed us.As we took off we dropped like a stone twice,even some of the FAs screamed.But lucky for me TC gave us the lounge and I was oblivious thank god (for vodka),cheers,Brian.

I live 5 minutes from where those shinny new 787's are built. I get to see lots of them as they park then right next to the road when they are finishing them. There were 2 for Air China and a couple I didn't know they other day parked next to the fence. :D

Hi,I didnt know they built them in SC,I thought everything was built in Seattle.I was hoping to squeeze in a trip to the factory,but havent got time.I used to be a bit of an military aircraft nerd years ago visiting all the USAF bases in England on their open days with blackbirds taking off and f16s taxieng thru the crowd,high ranking officers serving burgers and buds.That was in the 80s,all in the past now,cheers,Brian.

It's the cycles, not the age.

Yes, landing cycles is a much better measure of a well maintained airframe than age. I believe the 767 is rated in the 40,000 to 50,000 range. Even at 4 flights per day, 7 days a week, it would take over 27 years to reach the low end of that range, and no aircraft undergoes that kind of abuse.

Don't worry OP, your aircraft will be only middle-aged, with lots of life left in her.

Edited by hapster85

Hi,I didnt know they built them in SC,I thought everything was built in Seattle.

Nope, there is a full-fledged 787 assembly plant in Charleston SC. Originally, the Charleston site was only for manufacturing one particular section of the 787 fuselage and all final assembly was done in Seattle. Later they added a full assembly plant at the Charleston location. And the site is still expanding. As Trucker Dave said, the Boeing facility is right by the airport and as you enter or leave the area you can usually see 5 or 6 787's lined up outside the plant in their various liveries, and at the other end of the plant you can usually spot at least one of the Dreamlifters (the modified 747's that haul the assorted fuselage sections for the Dreamliners from their manufacturing sites to either Charleston or Seattle for final assembly).

They expanded the Charleston plant because the workers there are not unionized and they save a ton on payroll!
Interestingly, Alaska Airlines has a non-stop flight between Seattle and Charleston. Plus a large billboard advertising the flight near Paine Field. I'd say that most of the revenue on that flight comes from the Lazy B Ranch.

Interestingly, Alaska Airlines has a non-stop flight between Seattle and Charleston. Plus a large billboard advertising the flight near Paine Field. I'd say that most of the revenue on that flight comes from the Lazy B Ranch.

That flight just started about a year ago. It's not every day either. M,W,F,SU I think.

Hi,I didnt know they built them in SC,I thought everything was built in Seattle.I was hoping to squeeze in a trip to the factory,but havent got time.I used to be a bit of an military aircraft nerd years ago visiting all the USAF bases in England on their open days with blackbirds taking off and f16s taxieng thru the crowd,high ranking officers serving burgers and buds.That was in the 80s,all in the past now,cheers,Brian.

The cool thing about CHS (the Charleston airport) is that is basically 3 parts. 1 part is the regular airport, another part is the Boeing Campus (as they call it) and the third part is the Air Force base. All three share the same runways. I don't think there are any tours here so you would have to head to Seattle for a Boeing tour.

Edited by TruckerDave

Just curious what that statement means. :confused:

google "boeing employees not paying taxes". It was all over the news earlier this year. From the Post and Courier in Apr ..."Those arrested are accused of submitting fraudulent W-4 forms claiming to be exempt from state income taxes and then failing to file state income tax returns"

google "boeing employees not paying taxes". It was all over the news earlier this year. From the Post and Courier in Apr ..."Those arrested are accused of submitting fraudulent W-4 forms claiming to be exempt from state income taxes and then failing to file state income tax returns"

Interesting. I canceled my P&C subscription about a year ago and haven't watched a local newscast in I can't tell you how long. Wonder how the % of Boeing employees doing this compares to the % of the general population that does it. Sounds like the kind of thing that could be easily skewed by the media to create a story. Not saying that's the case, just sounds like the kind of thing that could be easily sensationalized. (Disclaimer: I don't work at Boeing and only know 1 person who does so I don't have a dog in this fight, just curious!)

edit: After a quick search it looks like 30 employees out of over 8000 were involved. Still not sure what the % is for the general population, but that's a tiny % of Boeing employees.

Edited by waterbug123

Hi,we are flying LHR-SEA on the 1st Sept and I was googling the fleet.It seems our 767 300 wl is probably over 20 years old.Im thinking now do we bring our own bits of string and chewing gum or is this the norm in the industry,cheers,Brian.

You need to realise the 767-300 is still in production. New ones are still coming off the assembly line (mostly going to FedEx for cargo and some for military).

Not certain how accurate it is, some of the website that track the history of individual aircraft list the average Delta 767-300 age as 17 years.

That said, it is not years that is imported buy as others have posted cycles. Delta sometimes uses the 767 on short domestic hops but the vast majority of flights are overseas where they may only do one or two cycles per day at the most.

I say this as a pilot who trained on 757-767 ....

All commercial aircraft must undergo a full tear down inspection of the entire plane every 100 hours....that called C checks and every 10 hours the get a detailed inspection. anything that is not to full original specification is replaced.

The plane is basically take completely apart and re assembled to new specification.

The FAA requires any problem be reported logged and repaired. They issue AD's Airworthy Directives to that airlines can anticipate any problem that any one experienced with that type aircraft.

Finally there is this saying among pilots..."if it ain't Boeing, I aint going."

Some one mentioned the SR71? My father-in law was one of Kelly Johnson engineers at the "Skunkworks" F117, U2 were on his drawing board...

I say this as a pilot who trained on 757-767
Not as an A&P mechanic
All commercial aircraft must undergo a full tear down inspection of the entire plane every 100 hours....that called C checks and every 10 hours the get a detailed inspection. anything that is not to full original specification is replaced.
I think you have your hours wrong. I couldn't find the relevant document for DL, but at AA they have narrowbody C checks at 15-18 months and widebody at 24-28 months.

AA says they do A checks (a vastly different process) at the 80-100 hour mark.

You can read the AA document HERE.