Suggestions for a day in Bar Harbor

xyankee

It's a great town to visit. Just walking around is fun. Be sure to hit the ice cream parlor, the best around! Acadia Natl. Park is beautiful with views off the Atlantic. One of my favorite towns to visit.

We will be arriving in Bar Harbor on the Caribbean Princes in early October. Any suggestions on what to do for the day in port?

Once you get off the ship you can buy your tickets for Acadia National Park

(less expensive than cruise ship and totally not necessary).. Plus you should have time to walk around the town as posted.. I agree. delightful town.

We've been spending two weeks every summer there for 30 years. With only one day and no car, the "must do" is the guided tour of Acadia National Park--that's why the ships stop there. The town is nice enough, but there's not much that you won't find in any other port.

There are two concessionaire tour companies: National Park Tours (converted school buses) and Ollie's Trolley (buses converted to look like a trolley car). Both seem to have similar coverage. Make sure you get to the top of Cadillac if it's a clear day.

The town has all the usual tee-shirt shops etc. There are two unusual shops that are worth a visit: Alone Moose (crafts) on West Street, and Eclipse Gallery (art) on Mt. Desert Street.

You can get Maine lobster and wild Maine blueberry pie in practically every restaurant in town. I particularly recommend Poor Boy's Gourmet on upper Main Street. "Lobster Poor Boy" has the meat removed from the shell in a sherry cream sauce over pasta - it'll spoil you for lobster any other way!

We did a road trip a few years back and were in Bar Harbor. If you go to the ice cream parlor they will give you a free sample taste of lobster ice cream. If was very different. I remember it to be like a creamy vanilla with chunks of lobster in it. It was fun to be able to tell people when we came home that we had tried lobster ice cream. It's a beautiful area up there...

You should have time to walk around town, grab a bite to eat (try Stewmans), and then take Ollies Trolley to the top of Cadillac Mountain. We booked the afternoon tour because it was socked in with fog when we arrived. It burned off eventually, but you wouldn't have seen anything on the morning tour.

We've been spending two weeks every summer there for 30 years. With only one day and no car, the "must do" is the guided tour of Acadia National Park--that's why the ships stop there. The town is nice enough, but there's not much that you won't find in any other port.

There are two concessionaire tour companies: National Park Tours (converted school buses) and Ollie's Trolley (buses converted to look like a trolley car). Both seem to have similar coverage. Make sure you get to the top of Cadillac if it's a clear day.

!

Any opinions on which we should book? the long tour with the N'l Park Tour or Ollie's Trolley. Is one more inclusive than the other? On a cool/cold day, would the trolley be uncomfortable? The price is about the same and it looks like they both stop at Cadillac Mt., Sieur de Mounts Spring, and the Thunderhole. The N'l park tour also mentions Jordon Pond House. What do you all think??

We have been to Bar Harbor several times.

One time we did Oli's Trolley through Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain.

Forget the ice cream -- you are in lobster country.

At the Bat Habor Inn - great New England Clam Chowder and Lobster Bisque. We also have had great lobster rolls at the Lobster Claw.

Any opinions on which we should book? the long tour with the N'l Park Tour or Ollie's Trolley. Is one more inclusive than the other? On a cool/cold day, would the trolley be uncomfortable? The price is about the same and it looks like they both stop at Cadillac Mt., Sieur de Mounts Spring, and the Thunderhole. The N'l park tour also mentions Jordon Pond House. What do you all think??

We did the short Ollie's Trolley trip, mostly because we were with teens and my mom (who's attention span is worse than my teens!). We found the tour to be lovely and very informational. The trolley itself is very comfortable, it has windows that were opened because it was a beautiful day, I'm sure it has heating too if it's cool. Our driver was very knowledgeable and also told really bad jokes which my dh & boys liked. He gave an excellent suggestion for lobster rolls which were absolutely delicious.

• 1 month later...

Is Bar Harbor Inn close enough to the ports to walk. Does it require reservations? I'm debating on the Princess tour that tours arcadia and includes a lobster bake. I don't like the price, but I might suck it up.

We did the short Ollie's Trolley trip, mostly because we were with teens and my mom (who's attention span is worse than my teens!). We found the tour to be lovely and very informational. The trolley itself is very comfortable, it has windows that were opened because it was a beautiful day, I'm sure it has heating too if it's cool. Our driver was very knowledgeable and also told really bad jokes which my dh & boys liked. He gave an excellent suggestion for lobster rolls which were absolutely delicious.

We have gone on this cruise 3 times and each trip did Ollie's Trolley. The last trip we were going to do the NP tour but it was closed I believe when we visited. No need to book this with the ship as others have said! We did the longer bus tour with them early and then walked around town and got lunch in town afterward!

I visit Acadia National Park for at least a day almost every summer. Jordon Pond House is justly famed for its popovers and is a scenic place to eat lunch. If anyone reading this has already taken one tour of the park, why not do-it-yourself with the Island Explorer buses? http://www.exploreacadia.com/index.htm

So if we decide to use one of the trolley type rides...it takes us to the park, correct. I need to read more on it. Do I need to make a reservation ahead of time, or is it something you can just find a booth and sign up for....Another question, I don't bring a lot of cash, on trips. I rather use my card. Do these places take credit cards or do you have to pay in cash?

I visit Acadia National Park for at least a day almost every summer. Jordon Pond House is justly famed for its popovers and is a scenic place to eat lunch. If anyone reading this has already taken one tour of the park, why not do-it-yourself with the Island Explorer buses? http://www.exploreacadia.com/index.htm

With the Island Explorer Buses, can you get off and on like a 'hop on hop' off kind of thing? Do they go thru the entire park?

With the Island Explorer Buses, can you get off and on like a 'hop on hop' off kind of thing? Do they go thru the entire park?

Routes and timetables for the Island Explorer Buses. Also, they only run till Columbus Day and they don't go up to Cadillac Mountain. Yes, it is like a HOHO kind of thing, but be sure to take the timetable chart with you.

http://www.exploreacadia.com/index.htm

• 1 month later...
If you use Explore Acadia, which route should you take to see the park? I have a whale watching tour in the afternoon and just wondered if I would have time to see some of the park in the morning? Thanks,

The best route to see the park would be #4, Park Loop, but does not include a trip up Cadillac Mountain. The entire loop takes about an hour and 30 minutes.

Another good route would be #5, Jordon Pond which will take you to Northeast Harbor which is very picturesque.

BTW, the bus service is named the Island Explorer.

SBtS

Dear jenseib,

Maam yes they do accept C Cards. By requesting in advance a spot on the bus ( Trolley) it helps them know how much, how many etc.. That way they are fully prepared to serve and do it well. The owner is a nice chap too. He may be up in the coffee across the st where youall board the buses.

Your smart IMHO not bring a lot of cash on cruises/tirp. I would wager you make xeroxes of your pasports, C Cards, travelers checks ( cheuques) etc.. too.

The BOY Scout Motto once again is best.. (( BE PREPARED )))

Yes (Ret ) Col. Neil Armstong who just passed away was an Eagle Scout!

So if we decide to use one of the trolley type rides...it takes us to the park, correct. I need to read more on it. Do I need to make a reservation ahead of time, or is it something you can just find a booth and sign up for....Another question, I don't bring a lot of cash, on trips. I rather use my card. Do these places take credit cards or do you have to pay in cash?

If you use Explore Acadia, which route should you take to see the park? I have a whale watching tour in the afternoon and just wondered if I would have time to see some of the park in the morning? Thanks,

Sue -

You didn't ask, but there are 2 independent tour companies that serve Acadia National Park.

Both tour companies include the Park Loop Rd and the summit of Cadillac Mountain in the long tour of each, starting at 10am.

These are not HOHO type tours; to do that you will have to ride the Island Explorer which is not a tour but public transportation on MDI.

SBtS

Archived