Food not to miss in Australia

GUT2407

I loved meat or fish pies, particularly scallop pies, licorice ice cream, and their wines. Desserts were good, especially a classic Pavlova. I tried Vegemite but couldn't quite get in to it. Overall, food was fresh and delicious.

Beer. Anything from Little Creatures brewery. Victoria Bitter and Carlton Draught were much to my liking as well. If you want a light beer, try their Cascade Premium.

Vegemite! It's got a lot in common with beer - yeast. A little bit on a toasted English Muffin with some butter for breakfast. Some say it keeps the mozzies (mosquitos) off (eat it, don't apply it).

Edited by beg3yrs

Sorry I may not have been clear I mean on the Diamond Princess while sailing in Australia.

Well, that's totally different. My experience has been that Princess hasn't really placed regional foods on MOST of its ships. I have seen some reports that they are going to do so in the Caribbean.

We did sail around Australia on the Dawn Princess two years ago but it's an Aussie Experience ship. We got meat pies, Victoria Bitter beer (on draft BTW) and Cascade Premium in bottles on that ship. Vegemite too.

I'm definitely interested as you are to know if the Diamond's menu has included some Aussie items. Certainly hope they have.

We were on the Diamond earlier this year and at that time it was still US$. The menus were quite different from on the Sea/Sun/Dawn and in my opinion not as good. There weren't as many options and several of our favourites were missing. For that reason, I suggest that they have different menus for the ships operating out of Australia. When the Diamond comes to Australia later in the year and changes over to AUD, I don't know if the menus will change to the Aussie version used on the Aussie ships.

We didn't book in for traditional dining, we went for the anytime dining in a restaurant on deck 5. It worked brilliantly and we never had to wait for a table.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Never heard of it.

Is it some type of wine? If so who makes it?

I suspect Oxypete means a Sparkling Shiraz (they call Shiraz 'Syrah' in the US) which is of course very yummy we have a plethora or really good ones here in South Australia. However just to be certain I googled Sparkling Sarah, and what do you know Cofield Wines in Victoria have a sparkling shiraz named just that.

I too would be interested in what the Diamond serves while in Australia - I get VWS (Vegemite Withdrawal Syndrome) when on a US based ship :D

Edited by Wastegirl

I suspect Oxypete means a Sparkling Shiraz (they call Shiraz 'Syrah' in the US) which is of course very yummy we have a plethora or really good ones here in South Australia. However just to be certain I googled Sparkling Sarah, and what do you know Cofield Wines in Victoria have a sparkling shiraz named just that.

I too would be interested in what the Diamond serves while in Australia - I get VWS (Vegemite Withdrawal Syndrome) when on a US based ship :D

Thanks now Shiraz I've heard of.

Take a tube or small jar of Vege with you, that's what DD does.

I'm that Aussie who isn't too keen on it (have some on hot buttered toast but can do wthout and never an inch thick) but DD could live on it.

Hate to burst your bubble but most food on the ship is sent to it in containers from Miami.

Ship will have some local produce but not much. Menu is same as on any other Princess ship with maybe a couple local items if you are lucky.

Beverages are same as US but with a few local beer selections to go with bud and miller light.

Saw all most no wines I could not purchase at our local package store though did buy some overpriced Australian wines to take on board (liquor is not cheap in Australia).

On Diamond Princess in Australia

What one food should I make sure we don't miss.

Glad you asked this. We'll be on the Diamond in March for New Zealand and Australia, and I was wondering if the food would be regional.

New Zealand lamb rack or lamb chops

New Zealand Pinot Gris

New Zealand ice cream

New Zealand marmite

New Zealand bluff oysters

:);):p

So no real food just Kiwi junk.:p

• Haha 1

Sparkling shiraz - I hate autocorrect - it is shiraz made into a sparkling wine - many wineries in Australia make it

I probably should have worked that out. Just sparkling Sarah I just didn't understand.

Haha, I wanted to see how long this would go on. :D

Had to bight me tongue a bit, I've lived in Aus all me life and looking at my waist you might guess I know a bit about Aussie food.

What I'm really looking for is the "Not Miss" on Diamond.

My kiwi husband would say skip Australia altogether and go to New Zealand. :)

As an American I would say definitely have a pavlova on your trip if you can. I have yet to have one here at home that is anything close to one in NZ (I'm sure this applies to Australia).

Have a great cruise! Wish I was going too - and the Diamond is my favorite ship.

As an American I would say definitely have a pavlova on your trip if you can. I have yet to have one here at home that is anything close to one in NZ (I'm sure this applies to Australia).

Have a great cruise! Wish I was going too - and the Diamond is my favorite ship.

Yeah but your old man must be a KiWi.

Love me some Pav but most cruise ships have no idea how to make it or top it. However I'll still eat my share.

Not been on Diamond yet, must say a bit concerned about the size, we love smaller ships. But counting the days till a month at sea.

I guess you haven't sailed her in Aus.

I have cruised Princess but not for a few years. In fact first ever cruise was Princess where had Pav every night, probably not this time 33 nights of Pav and I might not be able ton ft through he door, let alone into my clothes. :mad:

But I guess I could have Pav and nothing else:D

On my last cruise Celebrity I found a thread about not miss foods and it gave me a few pointers to some dishes I may have overlooked otherwise.

I was hoping for some simlar pointers here.