Concerns about the Mariner

Mudhen

I've just read two pretty scathing reviews of the Mariner on the review section of CC. The most worrysome of them is the re occuring sewage odor. I've read about this problem before on this board, but I figured it was something that occasionally happens on most ships at one point or another, but "goes away". It's back.......

We're booked for the Monte Carlo to Rio cruise and now I'm getting twitchy about it. 17 days is a long time on a bad smelling ship....Although we got a good rate, it's still a sizable piece of change, at least for us. We'll be in cabin 959. Does anyone have any experience with this cabin? What about the rest of the ship. If it smells bad, I'm not gonna be happy.

I am writing this as I sit in my Mariner cabin, although I am on Deck 7. We've been on board since the 13th and I haven't noticed any foul smells in any part of the ship (although I have not sent any time on deck 9). I haven't heard any complaints about smell either.

We were on for 2 weeks in January, right after the first report of bad odors. I was worried, but we never smelled anything foul. And we were right in the part of the ship (deck 7 aft) that was reported to be bad. So my worries were for nothing. Can't say your experience will be the same though.

We board Mariner a week from today (Venice embark). I don't usually post from the ship (though it's been a delight to read those onboard posts from folks like Rachel and a good many others). And GNALUZU, it was good of you to ring in.

But here's a promise: If there are smells, I shall post. AND make a lot of noise to the Powers about it.

Mudhen: How recent were the reports of smells on Mariner? (not sure I want to know)

We were just on june 16-26 (forward on deck 9) and never smelled anything at all. In fact, after being curious about the earlier posted reports, I went searching in vain a couple times up and down 7 and 9 on different days and never found any hint of an odor.

I don't think that Mariner has vibrations-- but I could be mistaken. It's the kind of thing that'd bother me less than some other kinds of things.

E.g: I am super-sensitive to smells and it'd be very difficult for me to be on a boat with bad odors. My husband, otoh, would probably not notice them, or even if he noticed not be bothered. As we all know, smells are in the nose of the beholder.

Was on Mariner for 11 days in April, in a Seven Seas Aft cabin, as far back as you can get. When in port on two occausions I got a wiff of something nasty but it was not from Mariner.... It was a commerical port and it was a sewer smell but disappeared in minutes.

I have a very sensitive nose, my DH on the other hand would not smell something if shoved in his face.

Now this all being said, Mariner is a ship that does have a septic system, if a passenger is looking for issues and is a "glass is half full" sort of passenger.... Well you many times you create your on problems, IMHO!

PS Advice on dealing with sewer smells on board, first if you get a wiff of something nasty... It is likely coming out of the sink pipe or shower drain, the toilet has water in it and that stops smells from coming from there. Now that you have figured out the source - use a hand towel and lay it over the offending source....if nothing else this will stop the smell and give you satisfaction of dealing with it!! This method wondered twice for us on a Princess Ship...

Enjoy your cruise, Mariner is a beautiful Lady?

This is making me feel a little better. The reviews I read were the two most recent (one in particular about a bad smell. They were in cabin 988, I believe) reviews in the CC member review section, under Cruise Reviews. I do know that some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something, but I was pretty put off to read 2 very recent reviews that were less than wonderful.......

I can always find something to eat, if food is a problem, but sewage smells...? That's another breed of cat. I wouldn't give it another thought, except for the fact that this problem has shown up fairly recently on the Regent board before.

We were in 955 just over a year ago, and never had any problem with smells or vibration, except in one port, and that was from the industrial docks, not from Mariner. I can't imagine that it would be any different now. I certainly wouldn't worry about it, Mariner is gorgeous.

Was on Mariner for 11 days in April, in a Seven Seas Aft cabin, as far back as you can get. When in port on two occausions I got a wiff of something nasty but it was not from Mariner.... It was a commerical port and it was a sewer smell but disappeared in minutes.

I have a very sensitive nose, my DH on the other hand would not smell something if shoved in his face.

Now this all being said, Mariner is a ship that does have a septic system, if a passenger is looking for issues and is a "glass is half full" sort of passenger.... Well you many times you create your on problems, IMHO!

PS Advice on dealing with sewer smells on board, first if you get a wiff of something nasty... It is likely coming out of the sink pipe or shower drain, the toilet has water in it and that stops smells from coming from there. Now that you have figured out the source - use a hand towel and lay it over the offending source....if nothing else this will stop the smell and give you satisfaction of dealing with it!! This method wondered twice for us on a Princess Ship...

Enjoy your cruise, Mariner is a beautiful Lady?

Think I was meaning to say "Glass is Half Empty" type of passenger! I am an optimist and a "Glass is Half Full" kinda girl !! But can get crabby and pissy on occausion :)

Take good care of that beautiful ship, sure wish I was back on her soon....

We were at the stern of Mariner on deck 8 last year - no issues with odours.

Off to Rio in November on Deck 9, but this time towards the bow.

We have always had excellent journeys with Regent and fully expect to enjoy our next voyage

Susan & David

(Our glasses tipped over years ago :rolleyes:, but at least on Regent they keep bringing you a full one)

Hey Flossie!

We're on the same cruise, same deck! We'll probably meet at the block party! Hopefully all the latest bad reviews are hogwash! Figure if there's trouble, there's always the open bar! haha! Looking forward to it!

What passengers smell on one cruise is not an indicator of what you will find on your sailing -- especially if there is a recurring problem. I have noticed sewer type smells in different areas when the ship (any ship) is in port and is offloading waste. It is temporary and probably cannot be avoided.

Without a statement from Regent, it is difficult to determine if there is a real problem on the Mariner. I remember (4-5 years ago) when the Navigator would lose power, have brown water and would list a bit to one side. It did not happen on every sailing but it was a problem (long since remedied). CruiseCritic members were aware of it but nothing could really be done.

Perhaps someone going on the Mariner in the near future can ask their TA to check with their Regent representative about this issue.:confused:

I too read these very recent reports and am also travelling on the Mariner next week (Venice to Monaco) and on deck 9 (but not aft)....so it was gratifying to hear the very many positive comments.

One of the other major complaints being levelled at the ship surrounded the wait times in the restaurants. Do any of the current travellers have a view on this particular issue.

Finally, the Mrs. and i travelled on Cunard`s Queen Victoria for the first time a couple of years ago and the week befor travelling there was a spate of seriously bad reviews, to the point where i considered cancelling. However, it was one of the best cruises we had ever taken and experienced none of the issues raised and said as much in my cc and forum report.

As someone said its whether you view life as "glass half full or empty".

One of the other major complaints being levelled at the ship surrounded the wait times in the restaurants. Do any of the current travellers have a view on this particular issue.

I am on the Mariner right now. There is another thread discussing the Setti restaurant and wait times. In our experience, this is the only place where we have not been immediately seated, however, we like to eat late (around 8pm).

I just returned from the pool deck and did speak so with someone at La Veranda. She said that at 7pm they should still have tables available for 6 people tonight. The nice thing is that if there is a wait they will take your suite number and can call you if you go up to the Observation Lounge for a drink (which happens to be our favorite place for a drink).

Archived