SLR Direct? Any experience with this company?

Bimmer09

Hi, I'm trying to choose between the Canon 6D and 5D Mk III. Price is a consideration between the two. 6D is $1499 on Amazon and 5D Mk III is $2499. I am aware of the features and benefits of both. The price differential would buy me another nice L lens. The Amazon buy-in experience is unsurpassed in my opinion.

A company called SLR direct (.com) is showing the 5D Mk III for $1699! That would make the 5D a no-brainer. Their return policy is customer -unfriendly but as long as it is a new (working) camera and has the Canon warrantee then that wouldn't be an issue.

Has anyone ever bought from them and if so what was your experience?

Norris

It probably is NOT the Canon US warranty. Sounds like grey-market. I often see it around that price on ebay, with no US Canon warranty.

If you want to save a few dollars, but still get a full warranty, try greentoe.com

My guess, through them, you will get it for around $2300 with tax and shipping. I bought by Nikon D750 through them... saved about $150... got full Nikon warranty, been back to Nikon for service a couple of times.

If you're ok going without the real warranty, you can absolutely get it for around that price, from several vendors.

SLR Direct sounds really shady:

https://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-reviews/photographic-equipment-and-supplies-retail/slr-direct-in-berkeley-hts-nj-90178569

If it is gray market, and it probably is, I wouldn't buy. If you are not risk averse, you might consider it. I know that Nikon USA will not repair a grey market camera, even if you pay them. Canon is probably similar. If you are in doubt whether it is grey market, check the manufacturer's website for a listing of authorized dealers.

This is what BBB has to say about them:

"Alert BBB has received multiple reports from consumers that SLR Direct is

engaged in a bait and switch scheme, accepting online orders for products and then contacting consumers to claim they would need to pay more money to receive the correct product. "

Google searching returns plenty of other "less than favorable" reviews. "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is" is particularly true in regarding to new electronics at suspiciously low prices.

It probably is NOT the Canon US warranty. Sounds like grey-market. I often see it around that price on ebay, with no US Canon warranty.

If you want to save a few dollars, but still get a full warranty, try greentoe.com

My guess, through them, you will get it for around $2300 with tax and shipping. I bought by Nikon D750 through them... saved about $150... got full Nikon warranty, been back to Nikon for service a couple of times.

If you're ok going without the real warranty, you can absolutely get it for around that price, from several vendors.

SLR Direct sounds really shady:

https://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-reviews/photographic-equipment-and-supplies-retail/slr-direct-in-berkeley-hts-nj-90178569

Thanks so much for that link. I thought it too good to be true but was hoping someone would strongly endorse them. Real warranty is a must for me.

Much obliged!

Norris

If it is gray market, and it probably is, I wouldn't buy. If you are not risk averse, you might consider it. I know that Nikon USA will not repair a grey market camera, even if you pay them. Canon is probably similar. If you are in doubt whether it is grey market, check the manufacturer's website for a listing of authorized dealers.

Dan, thanks for the response. I am risk averse when it comes to something I really want to get years of use from and something that I am buying to give me pleasure from day one. The words "gray market" make me reach for a stiff drink (there's always an upside!)

Norris

This is what BBB has to say about them:

"Alert BBB has received multiple reports from consumers that SLR Direct is

engaged in a bait and switch scheme, accepting online orders for products and then contacting consumers to claim they would need to pay more money to receive the correct product. "

Google searching returns plenty of other "less than favorable" reviews. "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is" is particularly true in regarding to new electronics at suspiciously low prices.

Sean, thanks for the BBB heads-up. I will avoid them like I would a rabid dog!

And to all who responded- I knew I had asked the question in exactly the right place. You all have been very helpful and it's much appreciated!

Norris, looking at the 6D and some L glass. Amazon all the way.

(but those 61 AF points....sigh) Has anyone used both and favored one heavily?

They seem equal re picture quality and low light performance no matter which youtube video I watch. I don't take portraits. Usually land and seascapes, no sports but lots of nighttime stills. Weight isn't an issue. Nor is size.

An $800 price diff is a HUGE red flag. I always check with B&H and Adorama for prices. 99% of camera bodies and glass is priced about the same and the big 2 are a good place to verify pricing to make sure it is legit.

Dave-so true re the red flag which is why I had to come on this board. I am committed to Amazon pretty much as I have been so impressed by their customer service over the years.

Have you used either of the cameras I am looking at ?

I'l look at pricing of B & H and Adorama.

Thanks again,

Norris

Dave-so true re the red flag which is why I had to come on this board. I am committed to Amazon pretty much as I have been so impressed by their customer service over the years.

Have you used either of the cameras I am looking at ?

I'l look at pricing of B & H and Adorama.

Thanks again,

Norris

I am a nikon user (D610) so I don't have any Canon stuff. Neither one are the newest models and both are around 7 years old I think. I personally wouldn't drop that kind of money on a 7 year old body, but to each their own.

I am a nikon user (D610) so I don't have any Canon stuff. Neither one are the newest models and both are around 7 years old I think. I personally wouldn't drop that kind of money on a 7 year old body, but to each their own.

7 years old? They are about the same age as the D610.. well, the same age as the D600, and the D610 was just the D600 with the oil issue fixed. They were both 2012... The 6D is actually just slightly newer than the D600.

7 years old? They are about the same age as the D610.. well, the same age as the D600, and the D610 was just the D600 with the oil issue fixed. They were both 2012... The 6D is actually just slightly newer than the D600.

Indeed 2012 for 6D and also 5D MkIII and if they could take stellar pics 5 years ago they will take great pics today. Later model Canons like 5D Mk IV and 5DS-R are way more than I can afford to spend as I want L glass too.

And anyway it's the person operating the camera, no matter how old it may be, that takes the picture. I mean to get better and have to start somewhere that I can afford. I can't constantly change to the newest thing.

Today I found out that I have a bonus coming that would afford me the 5D Mk IV but have my sights set financially lower as taking pictures is just for pleasure and not my job. The 6D picture quality/low ISO is on par with the 5D MkIII from the tests and examples I've seen. It lacks the 61 point autofocus but I can manually focus or use the 11 points provided. I don't have any interest in shooting sports so 1/8000th of a second I don't need and I already travel with a wallet of SD cards. I don't shoot video as I have a tiny camcorder I can hold in one hand. I do like the one-touch buttons on the back of the 5D though. The size and weight don't bother me. The jury is out.

Thanks for the feedback. I am eager to learn from everyone.

Norris

I hit the wrong button (7 instead of a 5) I still hadn't had my coffee when I typed it earlier. I also bought the D610 new shortly after it came out, so I don't really know what your point is/was on that mention. :confused:

I hit the wrong button (7 instead of a 5) I still hadn't had my coffee when I typed it earlier. I also bought the D610 new shortly after it came out, so I don't really know what your point is/was on that mention. :confused:

Just that you're using a camera of the same generation... a 5-year-old high end camera really isn't that old. No spring chicken, but IQ hasn't advanced much in the last 5 years. AF hasn't changed much. The differences tend to be in video, wifi features, etc... not core stuff for still photography.

Then factor in price... The 5diii is $1,000 cheaper than the 5div... the 6d is about $1500... the 6dii will likely be $500-$1000 more.

So combine the fact that 4-5 year old high end cameras are still very capable... and much cheaper than their replacements, they can make a lot of sense for some buyers.

Just that you're using a camera of the same generation... a 5-year-old high end camera really isn't that old. No spring chicken, but IQ hasn't advanced much in the last 5 years. AF hasn't changed much. The differences tend to be in video, wifi features, etc... not core stuff for still photography.

Then factor in price... The 5diii is $1,000 cheaper than the 5div... the 6d is about $1500... the 6dii will likely be $500-$1000 more.

So combine the fact that 4-5 year old high end cameras are still very capable... and much cheaper than their replacements, they can make a lot of sense for some buyers.

Just an update-I did a search on the 6D MkII and it seems an announcement re shipping and price may be made late in April. I don't need to upgrade until my next cruise in October so the MkII is of great interest to me.

Thanks for your comments!

Norris

• 3 months later...

Recently I tried to order a lens (B stock) from SLR Direct, when I called to confirm the order with "Steve" I was told that the lens was on back order for three weeks. Several weeks ago, I tried to order the same lens from eGlobal Central (also B stock) for the same price and was told by "Steve" that the lens was on back order for three weeks. First, was wondering if these two companies are the same (their on phone melody is the same). Also noted that the lens is once again for sale at eGlobal Central for $50 more than it was three weeks ago.Hmmmm. . . .

Anybody have any dealings with either of these companies?