Unlimited Laundry Service Question

Dance2Nite

Does HAL still offer daily unlimited laundry service for the entire cruise at one price rather than paying by the bag? When we used this before, it was a God-send, especially on our 10+ day extended cruises? We will be on the Oosterdam in November.

Yes, HAL does offer this service. Last month on the Noordam in Alaska, the fee for unlimited laundry was $7 per day for a 7 day cruise--$49. (You do have to purchase it for everyday of the cruise. If you just want to do it on some days, the price per bag was $20.)

We were on the 12-day Baltic Sea Adventure aboard the Zuiderdam last month. The laundry was $20 per bag or $84 unlimited for the cruise. We used some of our OBC for the Unlimited laundry. Because we were traveling a week before the cruise, we did ten bags total. On some days we sent two bags in, but our clean laundry was either returned the next morning or afternoon. They do state it may take up to 48 hours.

Plus we were able to pack clean clothes to travel home. :)

Quick question: Is this $7 per person per day, or $7 per stateroom per day? Thanks.

$7 per stateroom. Doesn/t matter if there is one, two or three occupants. Same price.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned on the Westerdam cruise from the July 10th Venice to Rome 12 days, and it appears that they are strictly enforcing the unlimited laundry service. We been using unlimited laundry for many years and this is the first time that we've had any problems. For instance:

- The form states that if the laundry is delivered by 9am in the morning, then it will be returned sometime by the next day. If the laundry is not delivered by 9am, then the laundry is delayed another day. That was a complete surprise to us because we've left the laundry for the room steward very early in the morning (like 7:30 am) but that does not mean that the room steward will pick it up by 9am. We never saw our room stewards early in the morning so we were out of luck. That meant that it took 3 days to get our laundry returned.

- Our room steward told us that it take 48 hours plus (the operative word is plus) to get our laundry returned. That just doesn't sound right.

- Also, we were informed that the clothes must be itemized otherwise they will hold the entire bag. We haven't been itemizing the clothes list for 6+ years and this is the first time that they have been enforcing it. We just assumed that unlimited laundry was unlimited and that they would just clean everything in the laundry bag. We were surprised that they started enforcing this all of a sudden. Note, that they did return one of our bags uncleaned because it wasn't itemized (holy crap batman....).

I don't know if this is just Westerdam policy or overall HAL policy but it certainly caught us by surprise. We brought 5 days of clothes thinking that unlimited laundry would work. PS....we had to complain six times before they found some of our lost laundry (due to it not being itemized). I suspect that this is just the Westerdam or that the staff was overwhelmed for those two weeks. I'd be interested to hear what other people's experience has been with unlimited laundry.

Does HAL still offer daily unlimited laundry service for the entire cruise at one price rather than paying by the bag? When we used this before, it was a God-send, especially on our 10+ day extended cruises? We will be on the Oosterdam in November.

We just returned on the Westerdam cruise from the July 10th Venice to Rome 12 days, and it appears that they are strictly enforcing the unlimited laundry service. We been using unlimited laundry for many years and this is the first time that we've had any problems. For instance:

- The form states that if the laundry is delivered by 9am in the morning, then it will be returned sometime by the next day. If the laundry is not delivered by 9am, then the laundry is delayed another day. That was a complete surprise to us because we've left the laundry for the room steward very early in the morning (like 7:30 am) but that does not mean that the room steward will pick it up by 9am. We never saw our room stewards early in the morning so we were out of luck. That meant that it took 3 days to get our laundry returned.

- Our room steward told us that it take 48 hours plus (the operative word is plus) to get our laundry returned. That just doesn't sound right.

- Also, we were informed that the clothes must be itemized otherwise they will hold the entire bag. We haven't been itemizing the clothes list for 6+ years and this is the first time that they have been enforcing it. We just assumed that unlimited laundry was unlimited and that they would just clean everything in the laundry bag. We were surprised that they started enforcing this all of a sudden. Note, that they did return one of our bags uncleaned because it wasn't itemized (holy crap batman....).

I don't know if this is just Westerdam policy or overall HAL policy but it certainly caught us by surprise. We brought 5 days of clothes thinking that unlimited laundry would work. PS....we had to complain six times before they found some of our lost laundry (due to it not being itemized). I suspect that this is just the Westerdam or that the staff was overwhelmed for those two weeks. I'd be interested to hear what other people's experience has been with unlimited laundry.

I have always itemized all items in our bags. When we purchased the unlimited and now that we are 4*. We have always received our clothing back within 24 hrs (maybe because we itemize?) and one time we received the clothing back the same evening as we sent it out. We also keep the "customer's" copy. Otherwise how would we know how many of each items we sent out? And on the same note how does the laundry know how many to send back???

Good luck with your unlimited laundry in the future.

Hi MariettaWay!

Sorry to hear of the laundry issues you've had. We've been a huge proponent for the package and we only bring four days worth of clothes!

We have always itemized things (but had heard of others who didn't). Service is usually outstanding. Do I recall correctly that Westerdam had their big dry-dock earlier this year? Perhaps you are a victim of the post drydock blues... (crew shifting around, new procedures, etc.)

We always tell our room stewards when we meet them that we do the unlimited laundry and we ask for extra bags (that takes some pulling teeth sometimes...). But they always take the laundry promptly and we have usually had it returned the next day (sometimes even the same day).

Do you purchase this once you board the ship or can you purchase it before your cruise?

Denise

You can purchase it before you board by calling ships' services.

It's very easy to purchase on board though. You just circle the option on your laundry bag that you want. (At least that is the way it has been on our cruises).

Recently turned 4 Star, but have not used the laundry yet. Can we mark a bag of laundry for COLD WASH, LOW TEMP DRY? Do I need to label each item with our name or cabin number? m--

Yes, at least I do.

I just circle the item and put in big letters COLD

Then in special instructions at the bottom - I put a note like "the items circled need to be washed in cold water and dried in low heat. thank you so much for your help and attention". I've never had a problem.

I do identify items on my form so they know what is what (ie. by shirt - I write pink stripe - it helps me keep track of what went and them if I need something treated specially).

We do the same thing as Kazu with one exception. We request that 2 bags and forms are in the room during our stay. We use one bag for COLD/LOW wash and the other for any dry cleaning or pressing only. Never have had a problem. I feel it just makes things easier for the laundry folks.

Yes, at least I do.

I just circle the item and put in big letters COLD

Then in special instructions at the bottom - I put a note like "the items circled need to be washed in cold water and dried in low heat. thank you so much for your help and attention". I've never had a problem.

I do identify items on my form so they know what is what (ie. by shirt - I write pink stripe - it helps me keep track of what went and them if I need something treated specially).

We do the same thing as Kazu with one exception. We request that 2 bags and forms are in the room during our stay. We use one bag for COLD/LOW wash and the other for any dry cleaning or pressing only. Never have had a problem. I feel it just makes things easier for the laundry folks.

You both make it all very sensible! Thanks for the lesson.

We may bring DH's suit (if I try to go for the Renewal of Vows... haven't mentioned it to him yet...) and that may need dry cleaning and or pressing while onboard. And with a suit he'll want his dress shoes, and size 14 shoes almost need their own suitcase... OIY. m--

Is this for wash? Or does it come back ironed too?

Everything comes back ironed.

If you designate hangers then all that should be on hangers will come back accordingly and nicely pressed.

the more personal items (socks, etc.) normally come back In a wicker basket wrapped in tissue.

DH doesn't have it that good when I do laundry ;)

If you designate hangers then all that should be on hangers will come back accordingly and nicely pressed.

the more personal items (socks, etc.) normally come back In a wicker basket wrapped in tissue.

Can you confirm the price in Europe per bag and for unlimited?

Can you confirm the price in Europe per bag and for unlimited?

On our last European cruise I believe unlimited was around $9 a day (I think it was $8.75 or something like that - but I can't remember the exact amount) and the price per bag was around $29.

Some cruises seem to have slightly better pricing than others. I've never figured that one out.

If you chose to do unlimited in Europe, call ship services before and prepay at $7 us a day vs $9 per day on the ship in Europe!

Recent reports are that this strategy no longer works - otherwise, I would have mentioned it ;)

Certianly worth a try but I wouldn't count on it.

Thank you. I will need this service on our 11 night cruise next Aug. I will miss the free laundry I get on another line, but the rate is very good on HAL for this service. I will enjoy have our clothes done, especially before we go home.