O class ship design question - add a deck?

UDSpud

If Oceania chooses to add a sister ship to the Riviera and Marina, could they add an extra deck?

HAL did this with the Eurodam and Nieu Amsterdam. Both these had the same length, 936' and beam, 105.8' as the earlier Vista class Westerdam, Osterdam, etc.

For the Konigsdam, they chose, or had to, add length and beam for another extra deck.

I like a "O" class ships, but would like some changes in the future. Based upon what Viking is doing, I assume is very expensive to do a complete new ship design from scratch.

If you like Viking, then sail Viking! Very happy with the O Class just as they are.

Glad you are happy with the O class ships. I assume on board you could avoid the numerous diaper wearing geriatrics that spoiled your tours and so were able to enjoy the on board experience too.

Hmmm, I am not geriatric and I don't wear diapers. I love O as it is, with the exception of the entertainment...boring. We try for 8 or 9 so we don't "rock"...those of you who want to reach the moon should go on an Expedition something! LOL

I looked at the new build list. No O. Lots of NCL and one Regent. Wonder if it means anything...

I think it means that they don't think they want/need another ship at the moment.

More people cruise on NCL than Oceania so that is where they feel they need a new ship(s) and they think they can fill another Regent ship (or sell one of their old ones to someone) but not another Oceania. That's what I think it means :)

Considering that they have grown from two "R" ships at the beginning to four "R" ships plus two "O" ships, they need to fill those ships before they start building another one ... I have no knowledge of what goes on in the inner sanctum! But we are booked on cruises on Marina and Riviera in November and next May, and both of those cruises still have many vacancies.

Mura

Why would Oceania care what Holland America and other cruise lines do with their ships? Why would they want extra decks?

Marina and Riviera are almost perfect ships and I say that after sailing at least eight different cruise lines.

Mura;

I agree! We're back on the Marina the end of October and all of the top suites are still available! Actually shocked because the itinerary is really great. Very, very competitive market. Not over extending capital wise may be wise.

Based upon responses, my original post requires additional clarification. I, personally, think the Oceania ships are the right size. I do not think adding one deck would move an "O" class ship out of the midsize category. We have had four cruises on the Riviera and I know my way around the ship pretty well. Given the cost of a completely new design, I do not expect Oceania to do a completely new ship next (say 1,400 to 1,600 passengers).

An extra deck could add some of the following:

1) one or two new specialty restaurants

2) a night club entertainment venue, piano bar (sing along variety)

3) a comedy club

4) a dedicated dance area - like I saw on Crystal

5) a small theatre for small cast plays

[any of these could help with the entertainment complaint issue]

6) more outdoor seating for the Terrace.

7) a better location for paddle tennis.

8. a better walking/jogging track

and yes, some more staterooms larger than the Veranda (274 sq. ft., I believe).

Next, my comment on Viking was based upon two things. First, it is my understanding that they plan to have up to seven ships with basically the same design, size and passenger count. Second, their current popularity may, in part, be due to the "new factor" (think Tesla and cars).

Oceania ranks number one with me, mostly due to quality of their crew and passengers.

Based upon responses, my original post requires additional clarification. I, personally, think the Oceania ships are the right size. I do not think adding one deck would move an "O" class ship out of the midsize category. We have had four cruises on the Riviera and I know my way around the ship pretty well. Given the cost of a completely new design, I do not expect Oceania to do a completely new ship next (say 1,400 to 1,600 passengers).

An extra deck could add some of the following:

1) one or two new specialty restaurants

2) a night club entertainment venue, piano bar (sing along variety)

3) a comedy club

4) a dedicated dance area - like I saw on Crystal

5) a small theatre for small cast plays

[any of these could help with the entertainment complaint issue]

6) more outdoor seating for the Terrace.

7) a better location for paddle tennis.

8. a better walking/jogging track

and yes, some more staterooms larger than the Veranda (274 sq. ft., I believe).

Next, my comment on Viking was based upon two things. First, it is my understanding that they plan to have up to seven ships with basically the same design, size and passenger count. Second, their current popularity may, in part, be due to the "new factor" (think Tesla and cars).

Oceania ranks number one with me, mostly due to quality of their crew and passengers.

Thanks for clarifying!

Just off the Nautica. We had some excellent entertainment and shows. Some world class. Stephen Clark The flutist was incredible, this guys resume, along with his performance of fun music was amazing! Chystral was a great vocalist and we had an exceptional classical pianist that played two evenings . We had a hilarious British magician/comedian that was great. Some of the shows had less than 100 people in attendance. We get tired of listening to people claim they might stay up until 9:30 IF O brought some in mystical top act! BS, these people are in their cabins by 9:00 regardless of the quality of entertainment. Check out Clark's resume and explain maybe a 100 people there. Personally, if you want to retire at 9:00 , I could g-a-s. However, be honest occasionally and don't blame it on the quality of entertainment. I actually feel sorry for Oceania and some of the truly great acts they pay to bring in, while the geriatrics flip them off because they want to be in bed by 9:00. Losing proposition for O.

Usually the ships have some good entertainment imo

People that never go to the shows then complain how bad it is ..some nights you cannot get a seat so someone must be going

We like the solo musical performers but some of production numbers were great also

some of the above ideas I personally could care less about

Just leave the ships as they are

JMO

We have been on 2 cruises on Marina, the last one Rome to Barcelona in May. Ship is great as it is. Was a fabulous cruise, with a terrific itinerary. Entertainment was very good. Some nights were well attended, some pretty empty. This was a port intensive cruise with no sea days so people were up early most days for excursions.

We will be on Sirena/Cuba cruise Dec., 2018, first time on an R ship.