Room Service Tipping: Training Teens Staying Alone

OptionAnon

I am a generous tipper. While I am not a big room service kind of person, if I ever HAVE ordered room service I would always give the person dropping off a club sandwich, or what-have-you, a very good tip.

However, this trip I will be travelling w/ 2 teenagers (very well-behaved) who will be in the next room. I want to instill 2 values in them...generosity, and financial prudence. I don't want to tell them to over-tip, as I have been known to do, and I don't want them to be disrespectful to the server by giving them too little.

Does anyone have a formula for how much you tip a room-service employee?

I know there are people who give nothing (to each his own) and those similar to me. But, is there some middle-of-the-road fair amount that a server would be pleased with? Remember, since Room Service is "free" there is no percentage figure to work from. So...I'm looking for minimums (for a hot dog) to maximums (for a more hefty meal) so I don't train these kids wrong.

I want to teach them to respect and reward service, but not sacrifice more than they need to. If any of this makes any sense at all.

;-)\

We have only ordered room service once, but the kids used to do it all the time. I think room service was one of those fun cruise experiences for them. We always told them to tip between $2-5, depending upon how much stuff they got. We gave them the money for the tips. They were also taught to have good manners and I don't think there was any issue with that. They usually ordered french fries or dessert. I think maybe a sandwich occasionally. The one time we ordered room service, it was dinner, and we tipped $5. I don't know if that was too much or too little.

When I was in college, I worked at a private swimming/tennis club outside of Chicago. So, I have been on rhe other end of food service and have great empathy for those doing that job.

I would be interested to hear what others do ragarding tipping.

Ohiodoglover

I researched this heavily before our cruise in 2009 and most of the information on these boards indicates a $2.00 tip is most common as a minimum (for something simple like a sandwich). Some people on here stick with the $2.00 tip no matter what they order, others increase the tip with the size of their order. $5.00 seems to be the most common maximum for larger orders. I think you are doing a great service to your kids, teaching them to be respectful and generous but also teaching financial responsibility.

Tipping is such a personal and cultural thing that you are likely to get a lot of varied responses about this. Americans are much more used to tipping because its how our service industries operate. Our friends from Europe sometimes have a much harder time with the "expected" tipping practices on board cruise ships because it is such a departure from their culture. (And to be quite honest, I think I agree with them. . .I wish the cruise industry paid their employees a fair wage and didn't rely on passengers tips to pay almost all of the employees compensation).

In the end, the Princess attendants will be courteous and grateful for whatever you tip them and you kids will benefit from your lesson. Your attitude makes it a win-win!:)

For two people:

$1 for morning coffee

$2 for morning coffee & juice

$3 for coffee/juice/pastries or fruit

$4 for a full hot breakfast

$3 for afternoon tea and cheese tray (we do this on Alaska trips)

$2 for sliced up fruit or soup

$3 for sandwich/fries

$4 for a dinner meal

Just our normal thing. I think the room service steward will be so shocked at getting a tip (from teens) that they will be happy with whatever.

Something we found out the hard way - our kids didn't know they had to pay for soda pop delivered to the room (they had a soda card and thought that covered it) - might want to FYI them of this.

Our personal minimum is $2 - even if it's just morning coffee (which we get every day). We've never ordered anything larger than a sandwich, which again, we would tip $2-$3. It's a good idea to go to the passenger's service desk at the beginning of the cruise and get a stack of singles for this purpose if you don't already have some....we were on one cruise where they ran out of small bills a few days in and there was nothing available for a few days.

My 10 year old LOVES to tip our room stewart! The last cruise we went on he was 7 and insisted on being the tipper any time our stewart brought us anything! LOL

I just got $30 in ones yesterday for our cruise tomorrow because I know he will be tip crazy again (usually just $1-$2 each time).

I usually get 200 one dollar bills just for tipping.

I will give 3-5 tips. I generally leave 10 for room steward every time we leave and have a request.

Just put ten on the table and leave a sticky note.

Never had a problem with getting great service. I am probably an overtipper, but the way I see it they are there to help me enjoy the vacation. The least I can do is actually help them enjoy their job a little more.

Never done this before, but have read it on hear where others give gifts instead of money. I plan on doing this on my next cruise. I am going to buy some chocolates and maybe some other little gifts at the dollar store.

Good question. I wish everyone would teach their kids respect and manners.

Never done this before, but have read it on hear where others give gifts instead of money. I plan on doing this on my next cruise. I am going to buy some chocolates and maybe some other little gifts at the dollar store.

I think they would prefer money and then they can buy what they want or send the money home (which most do).

I usually tip in in the $2-$5 range....my last cruise was the first cruise with the teens in a seperate room and I gave them some $1's to use for tips.

Because I know how messy their rooms at home can get, as soon as we got on the ship and meet the room attendent, I immediatly gave him an extra $20 up front....kind of "I am sorry"!

Our teens will be in a room next door to us. (I wish Princess did more connecting rooms!). WHen we have cruised in the past (last one was on the Oasis where we had a suite connecting to a balcony) and ordered room service, we always had it served in our suite. I think the kids might enjoy ordering directly to their room on occasion. And yes, they are very well-mannered and know to leave a gratuity to the delivery stewart.....I will just make sure to leave some tipping money in their safe to use at their discretion. :)

I usually tip in in the $2-$5 range....my last cruise was the first cruise with the teens in a seperate room and I gave them some $1's to use for tips.

Because I know how messy their rooms at home can get, as soon as we got on the ship and meet the room attendent, I immediatly gave him an extra $20 up front....kind of "I am sorry"!

LOL

One of the greatest things about cruising is that you dont have to cook, clean or do dishes.

We used to go to Watercolor in Fl every year. Great place to be, but we had to cook, clean and do dishes. If you didn't, you would have to drive to a restaurant and pay untold amounts of money for a good meal.

One time I picked up the tab for the family at a seafood restaurant. I ordered the tuna and apparently they were more concerned about the presentation than the content. I had maybe 3 bites for an untold amount.

The bill was over $500. Really.

Wow, such a thoughtful and thorough responses! I really appreciate all your input.

I think I'll go with giving them a "between $2 and $5", with an understanding that they have the option of giving single dollar if it's a soda or similar. Since they will have a soda card, during the day they'll need to go to a beverage service area (and tell us they are doing so) but, after they are in for the night...room service will be their only option. They won't take advantage I don't think.

Thanks again. Already thinking of more questions regarding cruising with young'ens.

When we took my teens a couple of years ago, they never ordered room service. I didn't let them invite their friends into the room, nor were they allowed to go into anyone else's rooms. I found them often with a group of other teens in the buffet, at all hours. That was back when the buffet was open all night. Now I suspect I'd find them at 2 AM in the piazza eating sandwiches and desserts from the International Cafe.

Now that I think of it, I've never ordered room service either! My last couple of cruises have been in inside cabins on the Plaza deck, so I just walk out to the IC. Much faster!

I get that, I laughed.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for teaching your kids generousity and manners.

That is the truth!! We have always told our sons manners will take you far and they have.

Definite thank you and to all the parents that feel this way in today's way of life.

It was nice to hear you ask about tipping and why. So many children are not taught manners anymore....so many don't even eat at a regular table for meals. Have you watched how they use their utensils....it is sad proper table etiquette is disappearing. Our kids were taught how to use their utensils and act at the table for meals but sadly even they are losing that knowledge as their lives are a series of "revolving doors" between multiple jobs and odd working hours, they rarely sit down to a normal meal anymore. It is nice to hear there are people who still believe in teaching manners to their children. Thank you!

I travel with teens on cruises, and they are permitted to order from room service. We always leave them with 1's and 5's for tipping. For full meals and more than one tray, we tell them to give the room service steward $5. Usually for one tray, or breakfast, at least $3 is provided.

Their cabin will not be messy because their rooms are home are not permitted to be messy. :p Before they leave their room for the day they need to have their clothes picked up and put away, and dirty towels in the shower.

Yes, we are horrible parents... taking kids on cruises and making them pick up after themselves. lol

Archived