Bon Voyage, Mom and Dad!

OMG just got email from my dad the cruise was cancelld

Oh, my !!! Do you know any details? The Corinthian must still be out of service. So sorry for your parents. Today would have been the day that we would have come home from our trip. I just received a flight notice from AA that our flight is on time 😳.

This is the first part my dad's lengthy email:

Yes, cancelled. After unpacking, we went to the “all hands” meeting and were told that due to mechanical issues with the ship (no details given), the cruise was cancelled. They will give full refunds and air fare reimbursement. The logistics are mind boggling for them, dealing with all passengers, and us due to complications unique to us.

So you were supposed to be on the Corinthian last week but your cruise was cancelled?

This is the first part my dad's lengthy email:

Yes, cancelled. After unpacking, we went to the “all hands” meeting and were told that due to mechanical issues with the ship (no details given), the cruise was cancelled. They will give full refunds and air fare reimbursement. The logistics are mind boggling for them, dealing with all passengers, and us due to complications unique to us.

So you were supposed to be on the Corinthian last week but your cruise was cancelled?

Are they in Lisbon? So they flew over only to find out that the ship has problems?

We were supposed to start our trip almost three weeks ago and return home today. We were told two weeks before our start date that the Corinthian was in dry dock.

I am glad we knew before we got to Europe.

Are they in Lisbon? So they flew over only to find out that the ship has problems?

We were supposed to start our trip almost three weeks ago and return home today. We were told two weeks before our start date that the Corinthian was in dry dock.

I am glad we knew before we got to Europe.

Yes. They were on board and unpacked. My dad had even sent pictures of their cabin (swanky!).

It is a kind of a logistical nightmare, because the cruise line is paying for their flights home from Lisbon. BUT the cruise ended in London, and my parents had a second trip planned and paid for in Wales. I got the email last night and haven't gotten an update yet. My dad is considering renting a car and driving through Portugal and France, which is a TERRIBLE idea (77 years old and thinks he drives just fine. HE DOESN'T). My mom also has (early) Alzheimer's, which is a HUGE complication.

Do they have trip insurance? Is the Wales trip thru Grand Circle?

If they have independent travel insurance, then the insurance company might be able to help. The program directors on GC should be able to rearrange their flight to get them to Wales instead of home.

The trip to Wales was independent of cruise. My mom is Welsh and they were visiting family.

Full refund on cruise and cruise line is paying for their flight home.

Did your parents make it home OK? Did they have anything to say about what was wrong with the ship?

• 2 weeks later...