New to Silversea..opinions needed please

SmartTraveller

I'm an experienced Cruiser - with Celebrity and Crystal. I like them both - but for very different reasons.

I'm considering a cruise with Silversea on the Silver Cloud sailing from Barcelona to Barbados on the 25th October 2013. I am attracted by the itinerary and the timing could not be more perfect for me. It also ends in Barbados, which I love!

However, I am concerned about the number of bad reviews that the Silver Cloud seems to garner. ALL cruise lines get bad reviews as you simply cant please all of the people all of the time but these seem more frequent than most with some recurring themes.

I'll be sailing solo so also interested in views on Silversea for solo cruisers. Again, reviews seem to conflict with the information provided by Silversea as to hosted dinner tables etc

Opinions please!

I'm an experienced Cruiser - with Celebrity and Crystal. I like them both - but for very different reasons.

I'm considering a cruise with Silversea on the Silver Cloud sailing from Barcelona to Barbados on the 25th October 2013. I am attracted by the itinerary and the timing could not be more perfect for me. It also ends in Barbados, which I love!

However, I am concerned about the number of bad reviews that the Silver Cloud seems to garner. ALL cruise lines get bad reviews as you simply cant please all of the people all of the time but these seem more frequent than most with some recurring themes.

I'll be sailing solo so also interested in views on Silversea for solo cruisers. Again, reviews seem to conflict with the information provided by Silversea as to hosted dinner tables etc

Opinions please!

You will get far more responses and first hand accounts there.

By the way, I believe she just had a refub in November. That will probably allow you to discount some of those negative reviews.

Thanks Mike. However the reason I didnt post on the Silversea board was that I didnt want to get replies only from people who were probably biased towards them. I thought I may get a more balanced view here from people who may have experienced Silversea as well as other luxury cruise lines but obviously not, considering the deafening silence for all except yourself. However, thank you for your time in making the above post.

You might want to consider posting on the other luxury cruise lines as there are a number of people for instance on the Regent board that have sailed on Silverseas and will give you their opinion on Silverseas. Maybe ask for the pros and cons of comparing Cyrstal, Silverseas and Regent for instance on the Regent board and the same thing substituting Seabourn for Regent on their board.

I understand why you don't want to get responses from people who sail just Silverseas.

I can't help you as i have never sailed on Silverseas, Crystal or Celebrity.

Good luck with your research. :D

Be aware that Silversea does have formal nights, and people DO dress formally on those evenings. This may or may not be an issue for you. Even Crystal has recently announced they are going "formal optional" (as Seabourn has). Regent has been "country club casual" for a few years. We've sailed on all 4 lines (plus Oceania and Azamara).

Be aware that Silversea does have formal nights, and people DO dress formally on those evenings. This may or may not be an issue for you. Even Crystal has recently announced they are going "formal optional" (as Seabourn has). Regent has been "country club casual" for a few years. We've sailed on all 4 lines (plus Oceania and Azamara).

Thanks I enjoy "dressing up" for formal nights asyou dont get too many opportunities to do so elsewhere these days.

Hi, SmartTraveller. I took a cruise with Silversea a few years ago in the Caribbean, starting in Barbados. I loved the cabins and I thought the ship was simply beautiful. I sail solo, and I was in a Vista cabin. I met some very nice people on board. I know you are speaking of the Cloud, but I believe the Shadow is a similiar size, isn't it? They had a singles gathering the first night.

The only thing that disappointed me about Silversea was the food. I wasn't impressed by it at all. I have traveled on Seabourn before, and they offer dinner invitations every night to solo travelers.....and I always loved the food they served. But Silversea's a nice line and I think you'd like it. If the price were right, I'll sail with them again.

Jane

Hi, SmartTraveller. I took a cruise with Silversea a few years ago in the Caribbean, starting in Barbados. I loved the cabins and I thought the ship was simply beautiful. I sail solo, and I was in a Vista cabin. I met some very nice people on board. I know you are speaking of the Cloud, but I believe the Shadow is a similiar size, isn't it? They had a singles gathering the first night.

The only thing that disappointed me about Silversea was the food. I wasn't impressed by it at all. I have traveled on Seabourn before, and they offer dinner invitations every night to solo travelers.....and I always loved the food they served. But Silversea's a nice line and I think you'd like it. If the price were right, I'll sail with them again.

Jane

Hi Jane, thanks so much for that. The food does have me a but worried as I dont like poor food. However, I have bitten the bullet and booked. So here's hoping!

Kind regards

JUlie

We have noticed a marked drop in Silversea quality over the past several years. On all their ships we have sailed. Cost cutting mandated from the top can really affect the food and service and customer satisfaction. Little things, but they all add up to an unpleasurable experience. Obvious attempts at saving money, mostly in the dining experience they offer, and the result is inferior product to their peer competition. A number of people who had sailed with them before who we met on other luxury cruises we have taken have the same impression. Word is they replaced the president recently and they recognize and they are working on fixing their problems. Maybe they will.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I took the silverseas cruise around Seychelles a few years ago. We were seated with the solo travelers a few times during dinner. Best dinner conversations we've ever had with other travelers hands down. Granted passengers change ship to ship, but I hope your luck is as good as ours was. They seemed to hit it off and do shore excursions and other activities together.

I thought the food was okay. It's not bad, really just depends on taste. The afternoon tea was really a highlight. One of the solo travelers booked her our special dinner every night (usually a sushi combination) by making a special request each morning. They seemed to be happy to accommode.

Archived