Do-It-Yourself Agadir

trubey

Can we help each other in a thread about Agadir. Has anyone been there and not done the ship excursion? I'd like to find out about the distance from the port to the center of the city, what we should/shouldn't miss, any suggestions on alternative travel (bus, taxi, etc).

I'll be there in November (doing the Prinsendam transatlantic) but actually, anything you can offer that would be of use to another cruiser would be appreciated.

susana.

Please note that I've also started a thread just like this for Casablanca. We have had pretty good success in the Europe board with these.

• 10 months later...

The original post is almost a year old and no one seems to have responded. I'd love to know more about Agadir and also Casablanca since we are doing a Transatlantic there next year. I guess my first question has to be about safety in Morocco. Next, what is most interesting to see and do? Or is there another place I should post this inquiry? Thanks.

In the last month, I had stopped reading this board, but just got an e-mail notification to this thread I started quite a long time ago. Since then, I have been to Agadir and can offer my advice.

As I got no advice from this thread, we decided simply to go on a ship's tour as we were a bit nervous about being out and about in a land where we did not understand the language at all.

My advice is don't have great expectations for this day. We sailed with HAL and took their excursion to a small town, whose name I no longer remember, but which was supposed to be a great example of the old walled towns and markets.

The ride there was quite interesting. Although the countryside itself was rather dull, we did have two stops along the way which were good. One was when the bus driver pulled off the highway and showed us a most unusual (for us) sight. There was a herd of goats, in a tree—they climb for the fruit.

We also stopped at a small restaurant for a bathroom stop and a drink. It was a pretty little place.

We then went to the market. I loved it. I wanted to stop at each stall and buy everything—from handmade shoes to spices. However, the guide kept hurrying us along. When we came to a stop, he told the group that we could have a choice. We could either stop in the market here and buy their over-priced goods or we could go with him to a shop afterwards where the prices and quality were much better. Of course, the group voted to follow his suggestion. And then, we were all so very, very disappointed. His recommended shop was nothing but the same old tourist shop that you'd see everywhere—with ridiculously high prices. We also stopped in one shop at the market where they sold us massage oils, however, there I did pitch a fit because of an obvious bait-and-switch attempt.

I do have some wonderful pictures of the marketplace. If I were simply giving a slideshow of my day, you might look and be envious. However, the day just left a bad taste in my mouth.

As I write this, I am trying to remember what other cruisers who had done the city on their own said about the day. Unfortunately, I don't remember.

susana.

Thanks alot, Susana, for responding. Certainly that port would not be one which we would choose....but it's on the itinerary for a crossing, along with Casablanca. Wouldn't mind your "take" on that city either if you happened to have visited it. Your information was indeed helpful. I think we should take a ship arranged tour as well (we're on Celebrity) and just be wary tourists.

Perhaps Morocco is just not my favorite place in the world. After doing a lot of reading on Casablanca, we had decided that we could skip it and do the tour at Agadir, instead. And you read what happened.

We were also doing the transatlantic. This was really fun for us as we live in the Azores. We had flown to Lisbon to board and had been aboard for about a week (with stops in Spain, Morocco, Madeira, and the Canaries) when we had a day on our own island. So, instead of all the exciting options, we went home to say hello to the dog, check e-mail, etc.

I did love the last week at sea.

If you do take a ship's tour, you might warn your fellow passengers of the tour guide's scam. I tend to think that it might be very common. susana.

• 4 weeks later...

I am leaving for Casablanca on Wednesday, and since today is Monday and you may not read this board very often, I probably will not get an answer. However, I do note that you mention a Casablanca thread in your first board. Does it still exist, and if so, how do I get to it?

Actually, I was supposed to overnight in Casablanca, but decided instead to take a train to Fes, as soon as I arrive, and overnight there. Then return to Casablanca the next morning. My understanding is that there is not much to see in Casablanca (despite it being my favorite movie), but a great deal to see in Fes. Trubey, you would probably love it; it is supposed to be just one gigantic market.

Bill

I just did a search and found my old thread. There were not many responses, so I recommend that you also do a search on this forum using the keyword Casablanca. It might help you find more info.

However, my original thread is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=223291&highlight=casablanca

susana.

• 1 year later...

Agadir is one of the ports on our NCL cruise (Nov 21) on the Gem. Does anyone out there have and suggestions for this port? Is it one we can do ourselves? We are there from 8am-5pm. Thanks! :)

I personally enjoyed our Celebrity organized excursion of this port. We're not adventurous enough to have done our first visit to Morocco on our own. We had a 4 or 5 hour excursion of the city, a mosque, the Kasbah, the Berber Village with folk entertainment and a market. Our guide was well spoken and informative. I felt we got a lot for those few hours and it was fascinating. It is also a place you probably wouldn't make a point to return to, but I wouldn't have missed it in the first place. On that Transatlantic trip last May, Casablanca was cancelled for security reasons.

• 6 years later...

To experience the real Morocco, you have to get outside of the large cities and away from the crowds.

We spent a week there with a private guide and had a wonderful time. Once you get away from the big cities, you can find better deals on goods.

Knowing a little French and/or Arabic is helpful... :)

Here are some photos we took:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152072552265681.1073741830.567405680&type=1&l=980a700f8c

Cheers, P:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello! I've started planning early for next June. Looking at maybe shopping, surfing, and camel riding. We'll be there from 7-10pm. Suggestions?

I generally do not book with the ship.

Appropriate dress for 18 year old girls?

I would wear a long sleeve cotton shirt and pants. That way you will blend more.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all ,

I have take a time to read all your questions , suggestions and feedback regarding Agadir port and excursions ,

I would like to let you know thatAgadir is a Berber word signifier fortified castle, it’s a first fishing port in Morocco which mingle between Fishing & commercial harbor, the distance between the harbor to the city center is approximately 4Km,

There are many places to visit during your cruising there , the first historical place is Kasbah d’Agadir , the old Kasbah on the hill top , Olhao Garden the second place which is which is a garden and a small museum, Agadir Berber Museum , Mosque Lebanon & Mohamed V , Talborjt streets which give you a real Moroccan life , Souk Al had it’s a big market where you could find all the Moroccan products handmade , also there are plenty of Souks and Massage Center , then Agadir Cornich & Marina …

For the Excursions : Agadir City tour , Massa 4*4 , Taroudant , Marrakech one day , Imouzzer , Taghazout beach for the surfers and to tast a delicieuse tajin in Aourir with sweet bananas , Oriental show ….

I hope that can help anyone to orgo****e his/her trip ,

Greetings from Agadir ,

• 1 year later...
Hello all ,

I have take a time to read all your questions , suggestions and feedback regarding Agadir port and excursions ,

I would like to let you know thatAgadir is a Berber word signifier fortified castle, it’s a first fishing port in Morocco which mingle between Fishing & commercial harbor, the distance between the harbor to the city center is approximately 4Km,

There are many places to visit during your cruising there , the first historical place is Kasbah d’Agadir , the old Kasbah on the hill top , Olhao Garden the second place which is which is a garden and a small museum, Agadir Berber Museum , Mosque Lebanon & Mohamed V , Talborjt streets which give you a real Moroccan life , Souk Al had it’s a big market where you could find all the Moroccan products handmade , also there are plenty of Souks and Massage Center , then Agadir Cornich & Marina …

For the Excursions : Agadir City tour , Massa 4*4 , Taroudant , Marrakech one day , Imouzzer , Taghazout beach for the surfers and to tast a delicieuse tajin in Aourir with sweet bananas , Oriental show ….

I hope that can help anyone to orgo****e his/her trip ,

Greetings from Agadir ,

Greetings to you too, from the USA.

Thank you so much for this information; it is very helpful. I will be in your city in Fall 2016. I am looking forward to it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Youghten, for your valuable information. I will also visit Agadir as part of a Fall cruise and I am gathering as much info as I can. I will make sure to post my impressions after the visit, and will welcome others to do the same. Thanks!