should I tip and how much in Barcelona?

tiger62

I've never heard of anyone not liking a tip, BUT tipping is not expected and doesn't play a big part in people's compensation. If service was good I usually leave 1 euro per person at a restaurant and most people leave nothing.

Agree with the previous info. Not just in Spain but in Europe in general tips are not the norm. Just round up the bill if you like. IF someone does something spectacular for me I add some euros for a tip but for ordinary service it is not necessary.

We don't tip, there is a service charge on the bill. May round up a few centimes to a round number, but we wouldn't want to break the habits of many generations here in Europe! (said with tongue in cheek, before you all start slamming me!)

You do not tip a percentage in Spain. Taxi drivers don´t expect a tip (but it makes them happy if you give one... a small one, like rounding up). In a restaurant, leaving €3 would be very acceptable (this in whatever kind of restaurant.... irrespective of the final bill). I don´t know any Spanish people who tip in hotels. Waiters and the like are paid a proper wage and do not depend on tips like in USA.

Archived