The Pyrimads Can Wait!

OCruisers

Earlier this spring, I read this in either Forbes or Barron's: "The Pyrimads Can Wait".

Bottom Line: Strongly suggested no travel plans be made to do this for the next year. There were several reasons listed for this ... their election, the US election , and some others concerns as well.

:confused: Just reporting what I've read and a good friend of ours who does business in the Middle East also tells us.

Well, I am going to see the pyramids in a month and "can't wait!"

(Reprinted from another post) Some positive articles to read:

TripAdvisor: "You will find security situation in Egypt (as in many countries) is frequently exaggerated by Western media outlets, creating a negative impressions that is somewhat amplified by the heavy-handed policies of Egyptian authorities in keeping tourists safe. The reality is that travelling in Egypt is probably no more hazardous, with regard to terrorism, than visiting most Western capitals (and probably a lot safer!)"

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2....In.Egypt.html

Peter Greenberg, Travel Editor for CBS News: "I've been traveling to Egypt since I was 24 and I can never get enough of it. One thing is consistent: Every time I tell friends I'm going to Egypt, they always say: "Be careful," "Be safe" or, quite recently, "Are you nuts?"

I am not crazy. I've always said that the best time to visit a destination is immediately after a civil disturbance or a natural disaster. The worst four-letter word starting with "f" is "fear," and Americans know no shortage of it when it comes to making their travel choices. They are directly motivated by it. I put my money where my mouth is...and I go."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-...b_1205841.html

About.com, Africa Travel: "As is often the case, most of the violent action takes place in the cities, and Egypt's capital Cairo was no exception in January 2011. But it's hard to avoid Cairo when you visit Egypt, since the pyramids are there as well as the wonderful Egyptian Museum. Check current news reports before you plan your Cairo portion of the trip, just to be sure it's OK to visit the sights without fear of running into a demonstration. Things were hotting up again a year later, in early 2012."

http://goafrica.about.com/od/egypt/f...l-To-Egypt.htm

Earlier this spring, I read this in either Forbes or Barron's: "The Pyrimads Can Wait".

Bottom Line: Strongly suggested no travel plans be made to do this for the next year. There were several reasons listed for this ... their election, the US election , and some others concerns as well.

:confused: Just reporting what I've read and a good friend of ours who does business in the Middle East also tells us.

I am not saying whether to go or not but no one knows figuratively what even tomorrow will bring let alone an article from last spring. Events around the world change rapidly.

This is why often cruise lines make the decision much closer to the time of the cruise.

Keith

(Reprinted from another post) Some positive articles to read:

TripAdvisor: "You will find security situation in Egypt (as in many countries) is frequently exaggerated by Western media outlets, creating a negative impressions that is somewhat amplified by the heavy-handed policies of Egyptian authorities in keeping tourists safe. The reality is that travelling in Egypt is probably no more hazardous, with regard to terrorism, than visiting most Western capitals (and probably a lot safer!)"

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2....In.Egypt.html

Peter Greenberg, Travel Editor for CBS News: "I've been traveling to Egypt since I was 24 and I can never get enough of it. One thing is consistent: Every time I tell friends I'm going to Egypt, they always say: "Be careful," "Be safe" or, quite recently, "Are you nuts?"

I am not crazy. I've always said that the best time to visit a destination is

immediately after a civil disturbance or a natural disaster. The worst four-letter word starting with "f" is "fear," and Americans know no shortage of it when it comes to making their travel choices. They are directly motivated by it. I put my money where my mouth is...and I go."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-...b_1205841.html

About.com, Africa Travel: "As is often the case, most of the violent action takes place in the cities, and Egypt's capital Cairo was no exception in January 2011. But it's hard to avoid Cairo when you visit Egypt, since the pyramids are there as well as the wonderful Egyptian Museum. Check current news reports before you plan your Cairo portion of the trip, just to be sure it's OK to visit the sights without fear of running into a demonstration. Things were hotting up again a year later, in early 2012."

http://goafrica.about.com/od/egypt/f...l-To-Egypt.htm

Thanks- great links!

We couldn't wait! Went in May and it was AMAZING!! Truly the trip of a lifetime! Glad we went then....might not go now!

We couldn't wait! Went in May and it was AMAZING!! Truly the trip of a lifetime! Glad we went then....might not go now!

Very happy you had a wonderful time! Some friends of ours did the same and are so glad they went when they did! :)

Basically, the article was advising to go either BEFORE their election which is very recently over now and there were problems in the streets or wait for a year or so.

Happily, when booking on a cruise ship, no stop if there's a big problem.

Actually, have gotten much more comfortable with the status of things over the past few days. When I originally booked thought it would be 50-50 whether we'd port there. Now I really think it's looking good! I'm at the end point where I can buy trip insurance with pre-existing coverage for a lower rate then what would be available at final booking. It would be a non-refundable cost so have put it off - but now thinking I will.

Pyramids can wait, but people of a certain age can not! So if the ship is going there, I will be going with it.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.”Mark Twain [samuel Langhorne Clemens]

Pyramids can wait, but people of a certain age can not! So if the ship is going there, I will be going with it.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.”Mark Twain [samuel Langhorne Clemens]

I'm with you!!! :)

We were on a land tour in April and never felt unsafe even though there were demonstrators in the Square. It is the trip of a lifetime. Tourists are welcomed everywhere. I say "Go for it!"

I'm cautiously optimistic that the political situation under Morsi will lead to some stability; the Egyptian people deserve it.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the political situation under Morsi will lead to some stability; the Egyptian people deserve it.

As a confirmed Egyptophile, (with one ocean cruise visit and nine land tour visits so far), I do hope you're right, and I agree that there might just be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm going in October and I sincerely hope HAL doesn't cancel the two port days in Egypt. I have waited a lifetime for the pyramids, have seen King Tut at the Pacific Science Center this week (stunning exhibit), and read up on my pharos and queens. Now if they would keep the peace, all will be right with the world.

more info about the new president

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/29/12487376-new-york-area-politicians-condemn-egypts-new-leader-over-vow-to-free-terrorist?lite

we just cancelled our plans to go on Celebrity Cruise that had 2 days in Alexandria in October. Fortunately, we spent 10 fun days in Egypt in November 2010.

Hope that those of you who are planning on taking a cruise with stops in Egypt are able to and have a safe trip.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm writing today from our hotel in Giza, and everything so far has been kind and very pro American. Our guide said Egypt is sorely missing tourists, down to less than 10 percent of what it was before the Arab Spring. It's hurting their poor and tourism based vendors. I for 1 hope ships continue to call here. It's amazing history and culture.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm writing today from our hotel in Giza, and everything so far has been kind and very pro American. Our guide said Egypt is sorely missing tourists, down to less than 10 percent of what it was before the Arab Spring. It's hurting their poor and tourism based vendors. I for 1 hope ships continue to call here. It's amazing history and culture.

Thank you. :)

We were definitely looking forward to seeing Egypt in March 2013 on the NCL Jade. I am sure Egyptian history is wonderful to experience in person, but we are glad our cruise itineray has changed so that Alexandria is no longer a stop. I feel sorry for the people trying to make a living off tourism in Egypt and I am sure they are very nice to tourists - but they are not the problem. A cruise ship with Americans on it would be an incredibly easy target for any group wanting to make a political statement and there wouldn't be a thing the locals could do to stop them. Non-US passengers should also care because they could be "collateral damage" or even targets themselves if non-Muslim. The current government in Egypt isn't very likely to be helpful either given their political leanings.

Better safe than sorry - this is a vacation. Thanks NCL for taking the situation seriously.

Sailing now out of Port Said after a wild day touring Cairo. Our only concern all day was making it back to the ship on time. The Museum of Antiquities is on Tahrir square, next to the burned out former headquarters of Mubarack's political party. Never felt unsafe, plenty of security, and the only disappointment was the museum shop was not replenished after the ransacking during the Revolution. Loved Ramses Tours and Cairo.

Archived