Celebrity aqua class devotees thinking about first Azamara cruise Norway/Iceland

djheck67

We are big Celebrity Aqua Class fans, but want to see Iceland and Norwegian fjords in early July. Azamara cruise on July 6, 2017 may serve our needs. Not sure about itinerary because only one Norwegian fjord stop, although very thorough tour of Iceland. We are also concerned about quality of dining because we are so spoiled by the excellence of Blue. Does smaller ship risk rockier cruise? Is it worth the money, as we find Celebrity a good deal? Any other lines that you would suggest would for our needs?

Never travelled on Celebrity, so can't compare, but we love Azamara. We talked to a couple on our last Az cruise who regularly cruise on Celebrity in an Aqua class cabin and they certainly enjoyed Azamara. They were in a Club Continent Suite which includes eating at the two speciality restaurants. I would think that they are at least equivalent to Blue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Never travelled on Celebrity, so can't compare, but we love Azamara. We talked to a couple on our last Az cruise who regularly cruise on Celebrity in an Aqua class cabin and they certainly enjoyed Azamara. They were in a Club Continent Suite which includes eating at the two speciality restaurants. I would think that they are at least equivalent to Blue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Have you ever done the Itinerary from Scotland to Iceland with Az? What did you think? We were worried it didn't cover enough Norwegian fjords. Also, can you comment on the Az negatives on cc about too much buffet dining, not Enough healthy choices as Blue, old ship, etc

Have you ever done the Itinerary from Scotland to Iceland with Az? What did you think? We were worried it didn't cover enough Norwegian fjords. Also, can you comment on the Az negatives on cc about too much buffet dining, not Enough healthy choices as Blue, old ship, etc

I have not done the itinerary but having cruised a bit in the past with Celebrity in Aqua class I can say I prefer Azamara. The Celebrity product is good but for us Azamara is better.

I do not see Azamara as an old ship, OK it is not as new as the Solstice class but the bling does not bother us. The refurbishments this spring have created two lovely classy ships. OK the shower in Azamara is not as nice as the one on Celebrity but that is the only area I see Celebrity being ahead on Azamara.

I cannot work out why anyone would say there is too much buffet dining. There are buffets every night, beautiful themed buffets in a different class to Celebrity as well as the Main Dining Room (where there are lovely healthy options, again I think better than Blu) and the Patio (not as healthy but a nice change

We're concerned that we are not seeing enough of the Norwegian fjords. Only AZamara stop in Norway is Geiringer. I read that is the best one to see, but is it okay to miss the other fjords?

Better to take the June 23, 2017 cruise on Azamara Journey that has nine ports in Norway. Did it two summers ago and it was wonderful. You would have Captain Johannes, who is Norwegian and knows everyone and everything to do with the fjords.

Late June and early July is perfect for the fjords.

Edited by marinaro44

We're concerned that we are not seeing enough of the Norwegian fjords. Only AZamara stop in Norway is Geiringer. I read that is the best one to see, but is it okay to miss the other fjords?

Hands down I'd do the Fjords. The Iceland cruise spends too many sea days to get there and in open water it could be pretty chilly and rocky, even in July. Unless you REALLY want to see Iceland. The Norwegian Fjords trip is wonderful and much more scenic. Having done it on Celebrity as well it's a much different proposition to Azamara, going further north and spending more time on the scenic inside passage that larger ships can't navigate. Midnight sun up there is spectacular. As marinaro said, having Captain Johannes in his homeland is an added bonus.

Agree with both Phil and marinaro re: the itinerary.

If holiday timing is an issue, a similar set of ports is available on July 24th 2018.

Let me also support uktog's view that, having twice sailed Aqua Class, we feel that the service and food is at least equal in the MDR, if not better, to that found in Blu. There is always a healthy choice each night on the menu, you can also make special requests to achieve that goal, and if you do attend the buffet, which each night reflects a different cuisine, your selections can also reflect your concerns. Given the route, you can expect significant offerings of fish.

There is a recent thread on this forum relating to the latest cruise of the fjords this August. It may well suggest further questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nordski

We just did the Fjords itinerary [it was on Quest this year] and loved it. Geiranger is nice, but there are other stops that are even more spectacular. Leaving Tromso we went into Troll Fjord and did a 180 degree turn to leave -- with just a few feet fore and aft to make the turn; that's something no Celebrity ship can do! As to buffets: we were tempted by the interesting themes, but never dined in the buffet the entire cruise because the main dining room menus were even better. I will say that the R-ships don't seem to handle rough seas all that well, so I would be a little leery of the Iceland itinerary -- if you do book it make sure to get a midship cabin location [as DW walked the corridors for her post-prandial exercise she noted lots of movement at the fore end and less but still noticeable movement aft; in our midships cabin there was hardly any]

We are big Celebrity Aqua Class fans, but want to see Iceland and Norwegian fjords in early July. Azamara cruise on July 6, 2017 may serve our needs. Not sure about itinerary because only one Norwegian fjord stop, although very thorough tour of Iceland. We are also concerned about quality of dining because we are so spoiled by the excellence of Blue. Does smaller ship risk rockier cruise? Is it worth the money, as we find Celebrity a good deal? Any other lines that you would suggest would for our needs?

No doubt do Norway vs Iceland which is two,ports. Done both and going back again. Nine interesting ports. I do notice it being rocky but each person different.

I loved my AQ Class cabin but not Blu.I had better meals in the MDR. AZ buffets are themed. We will have extra fresh fish as we stop dead in the water to get fish and cheese.

I think you will be very happy if you can get a cabin.

Like everyone else here, I think The Fjords cruise with Captain Johannes taking you to his homeland would be fantastic.

As for comparing Celebrity dining to Azamara, well IMHO Azamara wins hands down. I like Blu for the quiet ambience, but I can't say the food wows me.

We are Aqua class fans, too. Don't worry about Azamara. Azamara offers a far better product than Celebrity's Aqua class.

All with such great input-- thanks so much! Looks like we won't have to worry about food quality on Az. Any suggestions on which excursions are musts and which are passable? Any cabins/floors to avoid on Az ship?

if in standard cabin go mid ship deck 7 or 6. .if far forward on 6 you might heard the music from the show room during practices. same with being below the buffet on 8. The glacier for sure and naturally going to the North Cape. Bergen you can walk around all day on your own. .museums are everywhere plus the mts by tram-walk down if weather is dry. i have to look at each port but i have been to all of them-some more than 3 times. Flam-must do the train.

All with such great input-- thanks so much! Looks like we won't have to worry about food quality on Az. Any suggestions on which excursions are musts and which are passable? Any cabins/floors to avoid on Az ship?

If you look at the cabin sticky at the top of this page there is great feedback from guests who have actually stayed in these rooms. If you use that in conjunction with the deck plans it will give you the best idea of the good areas to be in.

We will echo uktog's advice re: the sticky concerning cabins. Always worth consulting.

As for excursion advice, that's obviously much more difficult since tour choice reflects personal interests, attraction to excitement, physical limitations, costs, etc. etc.

On our cruise there were a number of cruise line offerings for each port as well as private tours. As usual, the Roll Call may prove useful.

DH and I took the August 2016 Azamara Norwegian Fjord cruise and I have suggestions for the ports. Within several weeks, I'll post them on the forum commenting on our cruise.

DH and I took the August 2016 Azamara Norwegian Fjord cruise and I have suggestions for the ports. Within several weeks, I'll post them on the forum commenting on our cruise.

great-the people here can be so helpful. many of us have been more than once. A couple ports i am just walking around. I done 37 cruises with this company and never looked at the sticky. I know i hear furniture etc moving and do the best i can with cabin choice. But if not in a CC i would do deck 7. nothing above or below that makes noise I would not go to far forward for rough seas nor under buffet.

great-the people here can be so helpful. many of us have been more than once. A couple ports i am just walking around. I done 37 cruises with this company and never looked at the sticky. I know i hear furniture etc moving and do the best i can with cabin choice. But if not in a CC i would do deck 7. nothing above or below that makes noise I would not go to far forward for rough seas nor under buffet.

Well I guess if you've done 37 you probably don't need the sticky! I've always found it a great resource, especially for those not familiar with the ship.

Well I guess if you've done 37 you probably don't need the sticky! I've always found it a great resource, especially for those not familiar with the ship.

I get answers on here faster than reading that. also use the deck plans if another cruise line. Phil you will soon be at 30. also you have slept in so many types and locations of cabins what you say in one post is faster than reading the above. that is a time saver for a newbe. there are very few of us who know about a rolling cart, music from deck 5 show room or chair noises plus the anchor. this is all important info.

I get answers on here faster than reading that. also use the deck plans if another cruise line. Phil you will soon be at 30. also you have slept in so many types and locations of cabins what you say in one post is faster than reading the above. that is a time saver for a newbe. there are very few of us who know about a rolling cart, music from deck 5 show room or chair noises plus the anchor. this is all important info.

I try and post a report of each cabin I stay in to return the favour of others, am still learning and even now refer to the spreadsheet that uktog maintains. It's a very useful resource (which is why it's a sticky).

I try and post a report of each cabin I stay in to return the favour of others, am still learning and even now refer to the spreadsheet that uktog maintains. It's a very useful resource (which is why it's a sticky).

I looked and saw over 400 posts. so lets say i wanted info or wanted to add to a cabin number i been in is it hard to find that number. i always been mid ship but for the spa cabin and one other time. so on the advice of others i know for me do not want far aft. not sure for me about rough seas and spa cabin or any forward cabin. some hear the anchor and others could care less.. it took me two cruises to realize i did hear it but not like if i was in a forward cabin. well, i will look at it. but like food i feel each of us are different. i hear vibration from the track. you said you understood it. others are like what track.

Thanks for always posting reviews - it is only when everyone does this that we can get the complete picture built up. We do have the references to carts and other noises in posts where they arise. Noise in Azamara is something very specific to one cabin and sometimes not the one next door which is why the list by cabin number is useful for that.

Robin, I am not sure if you have noticed the sticky is in room number order and date order if there is more than one post for a room. You can quickly scroll through the table to the number of the room you are looking at. No need to trawl through other posts or wait for someone to post online.

Perhaps you might like to contribute to the sticky after your next cruise so your thoughts are there for everyone - and anyone else who cruises a lot but has yet to contribute please chip in!

Thanks for always posting reviews - it is only when everyone does this that we can get the complete picture built up. We do have the references to carts and other noises in posts where they arise. Noise in Azamara is something very specific to one cabin and sometimes not the one next door which is why the list by cabin number is useful for that.

Robin, I am not sure if you have noticed the sticky is in room number order and date order if there is more than one post for a room. You can quickly scroll through the table to the number of the room you are looking at. No need to trawl through other posts or wait for someone to post online.

Perhaps you might like to contribute to the sticky after your next cruise so your thoughts are there for everyone - and anyone else who cruises a lot but has yet to contribute please chip in!

Ann,No i have not seen that. saw the dates posted. I like to find 8040 and the spa cabins . I have been in others. i finally found a spread sheet but only two pages long. only was doing thru 2013. if i knew what page it was on or post to at the end of thread. happy to help.

Edited by ellbon