Panama Canal Cruise, Dec 2013: Christmas Question

badgerdee

We will be boarding Silver Whisper on December 20 for a Christmas cruise between Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles.

Any suggestions for how we might recognise staff over this period? For example, our room steward and butler etc.

I think perhaps a donation to the crew fund but DH thinks maybe cash tips or perhaps a personal gift such as calling cards etc.

What have others done?

Also, if any other CC members are sailing, would be delighted to meet you :)

This is best done quietly and privately.We each have our methods of giving.

A donation to the crew fund is always a good move as all staff will benefit.

I am doing a very similar trip this Christmas on the Seabourn Sojourn.We leave FL on the 17th Dec and get to LA on the 4th Jan.

Have a good trip

We are sailing on the Silver Spirit on December 13th. We would normally make a donation to the crew fund so I have bought some gifts for our butler and stewardess/steward. I have also packed Christmas bags and tissue and we will give them on the 23rd. I personally feel that the extra recognition is nice at the holiday time. Everyone likes a gift!!

Actually, not everyone likes a gift if it is a thing! Personally, having extra stuff to carry around is a pain in the butt. My son is backpacking around Australia right now and all he wants for Christmas is a box to pack up the stuff he doesn't need and the money to ship it home. I'll send him money for his present which seems cold and impersonal but it is all he can cope with right now. (I will see him in Feb and will pamper him at that point but right now his big luxury is a beard trimmer so he can stop looking homeless. He's still homeless but at least he looks better and thus feel better.)

If I'm living in small quarters (as the butlers are) where do I store all the stuff? And what if my roommate doesn't get gifts - does that add to the tension?

Consumables are a better choice (at least they can choose to share and they won't have to get rid of the stuff before traveling home) or money if you have to do something.

Personally, I prefer to give a day off if possible. The gift of time is always the best so I'd make sure that everyone knew I didn't want my room serviced on Christmas Day (I used to give my cleaning lady the day off with pay the week before Christmas for example and suck it up and clean my house myself.)

Finally, you are making the assumption that Christmas means as much to them as it does to you. That is not a given.

Have to jump in after some very thoughtful posts. Here's what we choose to do: we double our Crew Fund gift and usually bring some silly small gift for the cabin cleaner and the butler...as in a little wind up Santa/snowman etc, or a light up bracelet or pin to wear to the crew holiday party.

We are big fans of the Crew Fund. Our donation, but I'm sure not the amount, is posted in the crew mess, so we are always randomly thanked by quite a few people. We like that everyone benefits..just feels right to us.

Badgerdee, we'll be sailing with you on the 20th. Have you signed up for a meet and mingle? It's a nice gathering. Maybe we can get enough to sign up to make it happen on this cruise.

Thanks everyone, your suggestions are really helpful.

CruisinPashmina, I have registered us for the meet and mingle. Looking forward to meeting up :)

We leave Sydney tomorrow because we're spending time in Hawaii and Florida prior to boarding on 20 December.

Badgerdee, I just checked the Meet and Mingle for "our" cruise, and didn't see your name. In fact, what shows up is a total of four, and we must have at least six for them to bother hosting a party.

Surely there must be more people on this cruise who would enjoy a low key get together. If so, please sign up!

Badgerdee, I just checked the Meet and Mingle for "our" cruise, and didn't see your name. In fact, what shows up is a total of four, and we must have at least six for them to bother hosting a party.

Surely there must be more people on this cruise who would enjoy a low key get together. If so, please sign up!

CruisinPashmina, we have definitely registered because we've been sent an email :confused: