Live - Silver Spirit Nov. 25

dusababy

First port of call today - Thanksgiving - Road Town BVI. Weather 82 and humid - lovely little port. Full ship (reportedly) but how can you tell? Rather unusual crowd - lots of Germans - several small children including one infant in the pool....Tonight is the 2nd attempt at Meet & Mingle - original event was poorly advertised and scheduled for 6:30 pm embark day after late departure confusion. Dusababy complained to HD and another attempt scheduled for this evening. Did meet billcrooz and confirmed good impression:D

Open mind is the best attitude every day - fav ships still Cloud and Whisper.

Thanks for starting this thread Dusababy.

Enjoy your Spirit cruise Mary Ann--hoping your remaining cruise weather remains like Bvi. Also, do hope the second meet & mingle goes well. Happy Thanksgiving on board the Spirit.

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Just curious...how many were scheduled to attend your meet and mingle?

The Spirit is definitely different than the Whisper and Cloud...but aside from a few design issues, I think you will find that she grows on you. That is, we aren't crazy about the fact that the ceiling feels a bit low in Terrazza, and that the veranda suites are a bit narrower. But we really enjoy the outdoor areas and other shared areas (spa, bars, Le Champagne, theatre, etc.) much more.

Anyway, you are on a cruise and vacation, where everyone wants to be sure you have an enjoyable journey in every way. So enjoy--life is good!

Have a great cruise!

:D

Edited by Herman The Cat

Mary Ann -- Hope you're having a wonderful cruise! Is the ship decorated for the holidays? I'm trying to convince a friend to take the 12/12/14 cruise but he loves the holidays and doesn't want to be away from his tree and decorations. I thought if I could tell him the ship was decorated, he might change his mind.

Jaci

This is the second (and last) voyage on Spirit. Did the inaugural crossing in 2010 - said never again but the itinerary and price changed that - so here I am. But this time, definitely not again. It may be just the ticket for some, but to me the intimacy and quiet elegance are what appeal about the earlier ships.

No - ship it not decorated - undoubtedly it will as Christmas approaches. We had turkey, twice baked potato (offered) cranberry sauce, brussels sprouts - for Thanksgiving dinner. Opted for mashed potatoes and giblet gravy which was served. Had dinner at table with 2 English and 2 Australians - who had never heard of pumpkin pie. When it was served we laughed out loud -- a little square of a "pie" which desperately needed nutmeg and cinnamon. We did ask for whipped cream which helped.

I know I'm in minority but this is not my ship -- I am not complaining but accepting it is what it is. Parked right next to Carnaval Valor in St. Thomas - 3,800 PAX -- and I'm counting my blessings. They are a big bully interfering with television and internet reception.

The staff as always is exceptional -- God bless them too! Venetian Society party tonight -- in the theater -- Le Champagne last night.

Sorry if I sound negative - I love Silversea -- and it's my choice as to which ships I sail -- this has been my mistake, which I shall not make again.

I'd love to post something really positive -- will keep you informed if it happens. Stay tuned --

Dusababy, totally agree. I have done it and choose not to do it again unless for the right itinerary and the right price. You do not need to apologize! Enjoy it while you are there. At least you have Mino Pontillo!

And Paolo and Marcelo and Gustavo! Life could be so much worse! I wish someone would come and prepare my dinner, do the dishes and the laundry. LOL

Enjoy your cruise.

As I think you know, Dusa, we used to feel the same way, but because of a few interesting itineraries, and the wonderful crews, we have had some very good times on the Spirit. We'll always prefer our favorite, the Whisper, but, no matter which ship, the ambiance on a SS ship always wins us over.

Maybe a holiday cruise in the Caribbean isn't a perfect situation, particularly for some one who has sailed as much as you. That being said, we are sorry we weren't able to join you. J and I always have fun with you, and it's been far too long!

Has Trivia been lively? And have you been brilliant? Remember what a hoot our team had on the maiden crossing? We played horribly and laughed our heads off. Worst showing ever, but crazy fun. Fernando was at his best and every day something struck him funny and he'd howl. I've been on a few winning teams since, but never had such a good time. Maybe this has colored my Spirit opinions...that and the wonderful way she sails in heavy weather. That crossing was rough with a capital R.

Hoping that everything improves for you. Just keep looking at all those huge Carnival ships, with the long lines on the docks..line up, get off, line up, get on. Repeat! XX, Pash

I'm not complainining! Admitted I made a mistake - my own - in choosing this ship and itinerary. Of course there's nothing like Silversea -- I don't need any encouragement and am taking full responsibility. I'm just telling it like it is for me.

We have only TWO teams for Trivia and we've come in second every day. Can't explain it - heard there were about 10 on crossing cruise. Perhaps this too is just an indication of bad luck for me.

Of course I'm enjoying myself - no need to justify - but no more Spirit for me.

Re the question how did the second Meet & Mingle turn out?....this time only 6 out of the original 12 signed up prior to embark.

Again, perhaps just another indication of the bad kharma....(sp?).....

Have met some lovely people - which is what makes it.

San Juan today - and yes - some days I DO KNOW WHERE I AM.

I'm not complainining! Admitted I made a mistake - my own - in choosing this ship and itinerary. Of course there's nothing like Silversea -- I don't need any encouragement and am taking full responsibility. I'm just telling it like it is for me.

We have only TWO teams for Trivia and we've come in second every day. Can't explain it - heard there were about 10 on crossing cruise. Perhaps this too is just an indication of bad luck for me.

Of course I'm enjoying myself - no need to justify - but no more Spirit for me.

Re the question how did the second Meet & Mingle turn out?....this time only 6 out of the original 12 signed up prior to embark.

Again, perhaps just another indication of the bad kharma....(sp?).....

Have met some lovely people - which is what makes it.

San Juan today - and yes - some days I DO KNOW WHERE I AM.

I am glad that you posted honestly about the Spirit.I have been having reservations about trying her but I had suspected that the Shadow and Whisper were in fact a much better ship in design, and the way that they work.

What would you say was your favourite SS ship.

Been having a fabulous time on the Spirit. I don't find her unpleasing in any way. Have been on Cloud and Whisper both. They are all fine ships and the crew magnifico!

It's been a lovely trip so far and met many nice people. So grateful to know that come debarkation day, we won't be leaving.

Love my Silver Suite. Public spaces are expansive too and you can enjoy others or choose to spend time alone. One feature I truly adore, when one entertainer takes a break in the lounges, another one fills the seat. You have no dead time and it accommodates those who want to come out in the evening at different times.

Surprised at the amount of enrichment programs. Language arts (two languages), shopper Philip is the BEST, lecturers and fun and games.

It's great to have so many dining options. Not particularly fond of the layout of La Champagne but, the cuisine is bellisimo! Stars has a tasting menu comparable to Charlie Trotters or French Laundry. Nice! As good as it is, I'm shocked they don't have a dining fee. Seishin is fabulous for Asian cuisine. To me, well worth, the additional cost. La Terraza is always good. Dining room food has been exceptional as well.

Can you tell I'm happy?

Edited by KaraokeQueen

The OP admits to the crime of choosing wrong ship and itinerary. She hardly needs a cheering section to keep her head up high. We almost pulled the trigger on booking a Spirit cruise while aboard Whisper a few weeks ago. It took a couple days to remember all the reasons I promised not to do Spirit again. Very easy to relate to what is being written.

The Whisper cruise was great, though sanity can be questioned for being in Caribbean before December 15. Or, at all aboard a BIG ship. By BIG, I mean anything that holds more than a few people.

Sorry that the Braniacs from our April crossing on the Cloud aren't with you to ensure a daily first place! Feel free to text us during Trivia if you need some extra help.

We've found that the "feeling" on board during Caribbean cruises can be quite different from a crossing or cruise in a more exotic location. Just sayin'.

Stars has a tasting menu comparable to Charlie Trotters or French Laundry. Nice! As good as it is, I'm shocked they don't have a dining fee. Seishin is fabulous for Asian cuisine.

Love to hear this as the former was my absolute favorite for the last 15-years before it closed (so sad that Mr. Trotter passed away a few weeks ago) and the latter is remarkably just as amazing. We're taking our first voyage on the Spirit next year and I can hardly wait now to try Stars and Seisin too!

Stumbling via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

duct tape, the Exec Chef on board we disembarked last Monday was Ramone. Both Marcelo and Ramone excelled for our special wine tasting lunch last week. When I asked The Exec Chef to come out for appropriate recognition, was pleasantly surprised that Ramone, La Terraza Chef for our Nov 2011 fall crossing was the Xchef who replaced Anne Mari.