Can I have opinion re.Sojourn(or similar) in rough seas?

I took one in Norway and no problems at all, of course.

But thinking of one to Australia and New Zealand.A few reviews offer varying opinions.

What was your experience?Realize they are smaller than mass market one,and can feel waves more.But is it THAT BAD??

Somehow 3 days at sea in rough Tasman Sea make me a little concerned.

But I HATE the large ships,love Seabourn,so am really confused.HELP>:confused:

We were recently on the Quest leaving Antarctica.

We had quite a storm. The wind was 70 miles per hour, 33 foot waves and a blizzard. Quite a few passengers were ill. However the ship handled well despite not able to use the stabilisers because of ice. The storm only lasted a few hours before we sailed out of it.

We have sailed in Australian waters and in the Tasman sea and conditions were quite good.

Kind regards,

Tony

We had unexpectedly (VERY) rough seas going into Casablanca in October on the Quest and the ship really did roll! There was a lot of damage, vast amounts of glassware was lost, and quite a few shower doors. The whole episode lasted only a few minutes but was quite an experience. We eventually found an escaped peach lurking under our bed when we took the cases out at the end of the voyage - and our fabulous stewardess had already pulled them out to look for it. As we predicted, it was a little past edible! It really was one of those freak wave events that would have made any ship roll - I think even the QM2 would have had a bit of a wobble. Apart from that we hardly knew we were moving crossing the Atlantic.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a fun rock and roll time crossing the Drake Passage on a recent Antarctica trip but felt very safe. I emphasize "fun" because usually you feel no motion at all so occasional motion meant to us that we were really sailing! On this trip we saw an array of anti-nausea strategies used - none of which we needed. These included: ginger gum, ginger tablets, wrist bands (some people swear by them), and of course heavy duty meds which often involve unpleasant, debilitating side effects. I saw relax and enjoy:), you're in good hands with SB.

We were on Sojourn in Sept 2012 in horrendous seas North Atlantic from UK to

Canada the front of the ship,cabins, were boarded over,lovely I would imagine! This weather lasted 3 or 4 days one whole day the fog horn was going every min or so.

It was the tail end of hurricane Sandy, we bobbed about like a cork not good at all.Some passengers left at Iceland! If you don't like rough seas this is not the ship to take.

Edited by electra2008

We crossed the Tasman on the Sojourn on the first segment of the World Cruise this year. We had a little rough seas but not bad. There was one night the ship was rocking but handled it fine, I don't recall people complaining or being ill.

I will completely echo the Sailingnomads. We were on the same segment, enjoyed a little rocking and rolling (bring it on, as far as I'm concerned!), but no problems. And I did not talk to anyone who had any motion sickness. The Sojourn seemed to handle all high waves very well.

but the itinerary for Au/NZ looks the best.So will just have to deal with the sea,if rough.

Looked at other luxury and premium lines,but avoided the big,mass market ones that would surely take the rough sea better.

Everything a trade off,right?

Once you start with the best,its hard to go backwards.

Thanks for all the tips and info.CC really comes thru.:)