Panasonic FZ200 and iMac

Gemlea

I intend taking a lot of video on my upcoming Alaska cruise. I have the FZ200 and want to process/edit the video and still photo's on my iMac. I have read somewhere that I should shoot video in MP4 format as Panasonic and iMac are not very compatible. Is this correct? Will I lose any quality by using MP4, or is it just a different format?

I will eventually want to produce a holiday video with a combination of video and still photo's - can this be done with iPhoto or iMovie. If not, can you please advise me of what you believe to be the easiest programme to use for this purpose.

Many thanks for your time.

You are not likely to find video editing/creation software easier to use than the iMovie software included with your Mac.

You can have titles, transitions from clip to clip, add 'ken burns effect' slideshows from a list of still photos and lots of other features [see the online tutorials on the iMovie support page ]

You are not likely to find video editing/creation software easier to use than the iMovie software included with your Mac.

You can have titles, transitions from clip to clip, add 'ken burns effect' slideshows from a list of still photos and lots of other features [see the online tutorials on the iMovie support page ]

Thanks everyone. I have now played around with both the camera and iMovie and it looks like both are compatible and my first 'movie' production of a very interesting blade of grass in my back garden ;) has spurred me on to explore further. I think you are right about iMovie being able to cope with what I want to do, so have booked myself a couple of two hour courses on how to improve my understanding of what is achievable. Haven't had time for any of this in the past - too busy working!! but now retirement has arrived, and I realise how much I love taking photo's etc and arranging them in slideshows, video's whatever. So back to school for me.:D Thanks again for everyone's help. I love reading all the posts and seeing all your daily photo's. Many of you live in such beautiful places, it is a pleasure to see your photos.