Dollars accepted in United Kingdom?

We're going on a British Isles cruise in May, which includes Ireland, Scotland, England , Orkney, Guernsey, and one stop in France. Do we have to get euros and pounds or will shops, pubs, etc., accept American dollars? Thanks!

you will have to get euros and pounds.

We're going on a British Isles cruise in May, which includes Ireland, Scotland, England , Orkney, Guernsey, and one stop in France. Do we have to get euros and pounds or will shops, pubs, etc., accept American dollars? Thanks!

Although it's been a while since I visited those places, local currency was it. Think of it this way, do you know of many, or any, places in the US that accept euros or pounds?

The Hard Rock Cafe on Picadilly in London accepts US Dollars.

And that's about it. Don't even think about asking anywhere else.

(And be careful not to inadvertently pull out Euros in Britain or British Pounds in Ireland...very touchy subject)

And GBP is one of the few currencies where it is better to buy some from your bank at home. Bureaus d'change in the tourist areas have horrid exchange rates and outrageous fees. Though if you ever stay at a hotel in London and the clerk offers to do you a favor and charge you in $US, the answer is no--the rate will be even worse.

You can visit any atm machine and take out local currency with your debit card.. Check with your bank if your card is accepted in the countries you are visiting also let them know where you are visiting so your card won't be declined.

Not quite the same thing as MANY places in the world take US dollars however, in this instance it is correct that the countries mentioned do not

Although it's been a while since I visited those places, local currency was it. Think of it this way, do you know of many, or any, places in the US that accept euros or pounds?

Having done this cruise twice (you'll love it), I can agree with all of the above advice, and add the following: You'll need GB Pounds for England, Scotland, Orkney, Guernsey and BELFAST; Euros for Ireland and France.

The advice to not pull out Euros when in the UK and not pull out GBP in Ireland and particularly France is very good advice. The best exchange rate is a bank ATM and it will dispense the local currency (Euros or GBP). USD is useless in EU. We have been to Europe several times on land trips and the ATM are a savior just watch the ATM fee. We always take two ATM cards on different banks just in case. Be sure to alert your bank that you will be traveling in Europe so they don't lock out your card on suspicion of illegal activity.

Actually, some of the larger UK retailers (eg Marks & Spencer, John Lewis, Debenhams) accept euros and lots of shops in Northern Ireland, especially those near the border with Eire, accept them too.

One poster mentioned the Hard Rock takes USD, Harrods (also London) accepts them as well.

As for getting the wrong currency out of your wallet............

I can't talk for Irish or French shop keepers (or every store in the UK for that matter) but living in a British tourist hot spot, I can honestly say that I have never seen any foreign visitor who has tried to spend euros in a store that doesn't accept them get treated with anything other than respect. Nothing untoward happens; they've just been told that that currency isn't accepted.

There could be a couple of exceptions but please don't think that the majority of UK shop keepers will look at you in horror if you try to spend euros here.

It would probably be best to get both currencies through your own bank before you leave the US though.

The euro is taking a real battering at the moment so retailers will probably give you an even worse rate than the banks are offering.

Edited by The CRuIseLLS

ATMs are the way to go! Best exchange rates, no hassle and convenient. Don't use a money changing service or other in person exchange, it will cost you substantially more.

Did the Ruby Princess British Isles cruise this past summer (summer seems a very long time ago after this New England winter).

Look on the very bright side, the Euro is at its lowest level against the dollar in quite some time and may go lower before you sail, Ireland and France are going to seem quite affordable compared to just a few years ago!

Some of the ATM advice is bank dependent. Check with YOUR bank, as they might charge a currency conversion fee that can be quite high. And/or charge you a high withdrawal fee if you don't withdraw from a partner bank (look up Global ATM Alliance).

The *best* thing you can do is just use a credit card if it doesn't have a currency conversion fee. Make sure you notify the bank that you are traveling so they don't think it's fraud, then use it like you would at home. If asked for a PIN, just hit the enter key. (Ask ahead of time and they may be able to issue a new Chip + PIN card to use instead.) It will go through and will print out a US-style sign receipt. I just use my Capital One No Fee card everywhere I go. No conversion fees.

For ATM withdrawals I usually use my CitiCard at a Citi ATM, since they're global.

Not quite the same thing as MANY places in the world take US dollars however, in this instance it is correct that the countries mentioned do not

That's pretty much limited to countries close to the US with weak economies / infrastructure. Any first world nation is going to have extraordinarily limited acceptance of currencies other than their own.

Edited by debuskjt

Hi All

The UK and money,

Use Bank of England notes all of UK

Guernsey Notes only in Guernsey change will be given back in Guernsey so spend all on island.

Bank of Ireland notes spend in Northern Ireland

Scottish Banks print there own money

Royal Bank of Scotland

Bank of Scotland

Clydesdale Bank now issuing plastic notes

Use in Northern Ireland Guernsey and in England however issue is now so many non english folks working in shops have never seen a plastic Clydesdale note so will freak out if you hand one over, however any large store will have no issues,

if leaving Scotland just stop at a shop and ask to swap for english notes shops happy to do this as it makes cashing up easy for them english notes have to be entered separately

yours Shogun

Basically, as reported, US$ are not accepted. British Pounds will be accepted at all stops except Ireland and France where you require Euros. I would not get any Guernsey notes, as they might be difficult to use elsewhere and GBP's are accepted in Guernsey. When figuring your currency requirements take note that most shops accept credit cards. Ship's organized tours are paid in US$ and most tipping for those tours can also be in US $. Some private tour companies will also accept US$ for payment and tipping. Check directly with the tour company. Left over paper currency (coins not accepted) can be used at the ship's passenger service desk to pay off a portion of your bill, but note that the exchange rate is poor plus there is a fixed service charge. If you are not going back it's a way to dispose of the cash.

Here is what I found on the internet regarding Guernsey "Not too dissimilar to the British Pound Sterling, before then mainly French Currency was used, and Guernsey still has its own £1 note, as well as a £50, £20, £10 and £5 note like mainland Britain. All the pound sterling currency (including Scottish and Northern Irish notes) and the Jersey pound may be used in Guernsey. Some shops also accept Euros and major credit cards are widely accepted throughout the islands. Channel Islands notes and coins are not accepted in the UK."

Hi All

The UK and money,

Use Bank of England notes all of UK

Guernsey Notes only in Guernsey change will be given back in Guernsey so spend all on island.

Bank of Ireland notes spend in Northern Ireland

Scottish Banks print there own money

Royal Bank of Scotland

Bank of Scotland

Clydesdale Bank now issuing plastic notes

Use in Northern Ireland Guernsey and in England however issue is now so many non english folks working in shops have never seen a plastic Clydesdale note so will freak out if you hand one over, however any large store will have no issues,

if leaving Scotland just stop at a shop and ask to swap for english notes shops happy to do this as it makes cashing up easy for them english notes have to be entered separately

yours Shogun

Glad to hear that nothing has changed in 40 years! :D When I lived in Scotland in the '70's, and took Scottish pounds to England, they looked at you as if you were a counterfeiter. Are the two still different sizes? That always caused shopkeepers problems as well, if I remember right.

As for getting the wrong currency out of your wallet............

I can't talk for Irish or French shop keepers (or every store in the UK for that matter) but living in a British tourist hot spot, I can honestly say that I have never seen any foreign visitor who has tried to spend euros in a store that doesn't accept them get treated with anything other than respect. Nothing untoward happens; they've just been told that that currency isn't accepted.

I agree, making it sound like one would get shot. :rolleyes:

I have family in the UK and Ireland and visit quite often and have not encountered enraged business owners. :)

Use British Currency in UK anything else is not accepted.

Using your Debit or Credit Card in The ATM machines remember use a 4 digit password only.All banks accept the cards in their machines but the corner store

ATM machines sometimes will not.

ATM and credit cards are the only way to go for US Citizens. I found the hard way last year that even major banks will not convert US Currency to Pounds sterling. Had to use the money changers at Marks & Spencer or the Train stations. Horrible conversion rate. Best rate was a subsequent trip where I bought Pounds Sterling at my local Wells Fargo prior to the trip. My Mother is English and I have traveled to the UK all my life and never had issues changing US cash for UK cash until last year. A sad situation when your country's currency is viewed as a bad thing.

ATM and credit cards are the only way to go for US Citizens. I found the hard way last year that even major banks will not convert US Currency to Pounds sterling. Had to use the money changers at Marks & Spencer or the Train stations. Horrible conversion rate. Best rate was a subsequent trip where I bought Pounds Sterling at my local Wells Fargo prior to the trip. My Mother is English and I have traveled to the UK all my life and never had issues changing US cash for UK cash until last year. A sad situation when your country's currency is viewed as a bad thing.

Nobody is viewing the dollar as a bad thing now! Seriously though, currency can be a bit of a pain. My South America cruise we ended up with a whole collection of different monies.

Hi All

No need to take cash abroad or lose your credit card, just take a pre paid debit card, and use it as a credit card or to draw small sums of cash from local atms,

offer the best exchange rates around

yours Shogun