passport for a child when the father is nowhere to be found

Vianky

3 weeks ago we put in for our passports. Me and my hubs got our back already.

Now my oldest son, His father has not been in the picture since he was around 6 months. My son is now 11. Never tried to have contact with him and even if I wanted to get hold of him I do not know where he would be now.

On his birth certificate his biological father is named as father. We have never gone to court to get anything legal for custody or what not because it has never really been a problem. Like I said he has been out of the picture for more then 10 years. We have also never asked for child support or anything.

Like 3 years ago we gave my son our last name. He wanted to have his fathers last name. The only father he knows. To have the name change you have to show proof that you have looked for the father to get permission and we did. They gave us the name change with no problem.

Now when applying for the passport we had no bio father to sign and had to fill out the Form DS-3053 and the "STATEMENT OF SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES" There we explained everything that I just told you had it notarized and sent it off.

Today I received a letter asking for my marriage certificate as proof of my name change for my son's passport.

So I went ahead and sent that out to.

Have any of you had an experience with a child that does not have Bio father in the picture but do not have court order for sole custody?

What was your experience like and what should I expect?

Now my oldest son, His father has not been in the picture since he was around 6 months. My son is now 11. Never tried to have contact with him and even if I wanted to get hold of him I do not know where he would be now.

On his birth certificate his biological father is named as father. We have never gone to court to get anything legal for custody or what not because it has never really been a problem. Like I said he has been out of the picture for more then 10 years. We have also never asked for child support or anything.

Like 3 years ago we gave my son our last name. He wanted to have his fathers last name. The only father he knows. To have the name change you have to show proof that you have looked for the father to get permission and we did. They gave us the name change with no problem.

Now when applying for the passport we had no bio father to sign and had to fill out the Form DS-3053 and the "STATEMENT OF SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES" There we explained everything that I just told you had it notarized and sent it off.

Today I received a letter asking for my marriage certificate as proof of my name change for my son's passport.

Have any of you had an experience with a child that does not have Bio father in the picture but do not have court order for sole custody?

I think if that's what they asked for, that's all they need. I had to have my ex fill out his part for our son to get his passport and I know there is a section that you fill out when the other parent is not in the picture. They asked for the documentation they needed. You provided that. Like my signature says, worry is as useless as a handle on a snowball. Stop worrying. It's going to be fine :)

Without being too nosey...is there a reason your hubby never officially adopted your son?

I don't want to get too much into the "what if's", but heaven forbid something were to happen to you- even with a will, your son's bio-dad could slide into the picture and demand custody. :mad:

It may just be a piece of paper- but it may give you piece of mind so that issues like now will never come up again.

BTW- your hubby deserves a big pat on the pat- it is wonderful that he loves your son and that your son wants his last name! You are lucky to have such great guys in your life. Please have a wonderful cruise and like the other poster said- "don't worry so much!" :)

Take care,

Diana:)

When applying for my daughter's passport I sent a copy of my divorce papers saying I had custody and I typed up a statement saying I didn't know where he was, and that he has had no contact with his children in years, and if necessary I would send an additional statement from Child Support Enforcement showing they had no way to reach him either. They never asked for anything else.

Without being too nosey...is there a reason your hubby never officially adopted your son?

I don't want to get too much into the "what if's", but heaven forbid something were to happen to you- even with a will, your son's bio-dad could slide into the picture and demand custody. :mad:

It may just be a piece of paper- but it may give you piece of mind so that issues like now will never come up again.

BTW- your hubby deserves a big pat on the pat- it is wonderful that he loves your son and that your son wants his last name! You are lucky to have such great guys in your life. Please have a wonderful cruise and like the other poster said- "don't worry so much!" :)

Take care,

Diana:)

Well actually after this whole situation we plan on starting all the paperwork for adoption pretty soon here.

Thank you guys. I DO worry to much. I just wanted to know if anyone was ever in the situation that we are in and got the passport no problem. I guess to make me feel better :P

Good luck with getting it resolved, but, I suspect everything will be fine.

When I got my first passport ( 15+ years ago) I was a minor, my bio-father was no where to be found and my mom had a different last name than me. I don't recall that anything additional was requested however I do know that there was no major delay in getting the passport... luckily. I don't know what sorts of rules have changed since then.

I have temporary custody of my grandchildren. I applied for passports an brought with me the court order for "temporary" custody. The postal clerk checked the box and handed me back my paper. I said I think this has to go along with the application. He said no. needless to say I got a letter from the passport agency they were looking for that paper. I sent it in and got it right away. No problem even if the paper said temporary custody. That being said, I am sure that all they will need is the paperwork they asked for. You should get it in a couple of weeks.

Linda

I have temporary custody of my grandchildren. I applied for passports an brought with me the court order for "temporary" custody. The postal clerk checked the box and handed me back my paper. I said I think this has to go along with the application. He said no. needless to say I got a letter from the passport agency they were looking for that paper. I sent it in and got it right away. No problem even if the paper said temporary custody. That being said, I am sure that all they will need is the paperwork they asked for. You should get it in a couple of weeks.

Linda

You know I even took my marriage certificate with me when we applied for the passports! The lady said that since I've been married for more then 5 years they do not need it. I was like hmmm but its the first time getting passports so I trusted her. I should have just made her send it in anyways but oh well what can you do.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for taking the time to udate everyone on your passport info question

a lot of times questions get asked and people try to help but we never know the final outcome.

thaks again for taking the time to give us the positive outcome info

Sgn a statment of specila circumstnaces at the passport accepectance facility and no problem

TY

Sgn a statment of specila circumstnaces at the passport accepectance facility and no problem geetin the minor a pp

TY

Just wanted to let you guys know that my son DID get his passport. It came in the mail today apparently without a problem!

I have a question, is the passport in your son's original last name or that of your husband's?

If it is the same as your husband's you should have no problems with needing a letter of consent from the birth father. Now you have the passport you can leave his BC at home...Right?

I have a question, is the passport in your son's original last name or that of your husband's?

If it is the same as your husband's you should have no problems with needing a letter of consent from the birth father. Now you have the passport you can leave his BC at home...Right?

The passport has his current last name. My hubs and mine. Yes that is right. They would have no reason to ask for it as we all have the same last name. They would just assume that he is both of our bio son

Just wanted to let you guys know that my son DID get his passport. It came in the mail today apparently without a problem!

Oh good! I'm glad that's all settled! Now kick that WONDERFUL hubby of yours in the butt to get that adoption going! LOL ;)

The passport has his current last name. My hubs and mine. Yes that is right. They would have no reason to ask for it as we all have the same last name. They would just assume that he is both of our bio son

Cool, glad it's worked out this well. Have a great time.

Archived